Black Lagoon

Started by Foggle, December 23, 2011, 06:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Fucking masterpiece, I tell you what. Absolutely one of the coolest and most fun action anime of all time.

Speaking of which, I had totally forgotten about the new OVA (basically the third season) until right now. Apparently it finished its run on my birthday! As soon as Nyaa Torrents comes back, I'll check out the last three episodes. Funimation has apparently licensed it, so hopefully the dub will have the same voice cast as before; greatly enjoyed the English version of the first two seasons (though it wasn't really better than the original Japanese track... they're probably about on par with each other). There's apparently still a lot of Geneon red tape involving previously-distributed properties like this one, though, so no one knows when the DVDs will get released in the west.

Apparently the manga is currently on a Togashi-level hiatus. The most recent chapter came out in May of 2010. Not looking good as far as a fourth anime series or even just a simple story conclusion go.

There's also this. I haven't read it yet, but Gen Urobuchi is a total badass, so it's probably pretty good.

Dr. Insomniac

The one other dub that the Ocean Group can be proud of. I'll say that.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Ha! Posers! I was into Black Lagoon way before it was cool. :sly:

Anyways, yeah, I love this series, and I love the dub. As someone who originall watched the entire first 2 seasons in Japanse, I personally prefer the dub. The voice acting is terrific and really fits the bill for these characters, and they are technically supposed to be speaking in English, anyways (so in a weird way its sort of a more accurate portrayal than the Japanese voice acting, but I enjoy both versions just fine, myself, "Engrish" aside).

I only ever watched the first OVA episode and liked it, but much like Foggle completely forgot about it. I need to get around to checking out the rest of it when I get a chance.

Foggle

Quote from: https://twitter.com/Opn01/status/251884157666488320oceans dubbing BL robertas blood trail with the original cast.
Quote from: https://twitter.com/Opn01/status/251884405541453824Date is spring 2013. BR is undecided at this point.
Boner. Fucking. Achieved.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That reminds me that I never watched past the 1st episode of that OVA series. I read more of the arc in the manga but to be honest I didn't really like it that much. It was kind of boring for me compared to the rest of the series. That said I'd jump at a chance to see the Ocean cast reprise their roles for the English dub. That dub was so awesome that it'd forcefully make this arc entertaining for me. :P

Foggle

I felt that the first episode was lacking, but it really picks up later on. It has a lot of build up and character development like the Tokyo arc, although this one's foundations are a bit shakier. I'd say that this is some of Black Lagoon's finest material to date, though. Can't wait for the dub.

Still need to read Urobuchi's light novel. And Hiroe needs to start working on the goddamn manga again so we can get another OVA or TV series! I also think it would be cool if Madhouse animated the novels, since those are considered canon I believe. Plus, Urobuchi is a hot commodity these days.

talonmalon333

So at last I have gotten around to starting this series. I am only two episodes in so I still have ways to go, but I will probably be posting here as I get further into the series.

Lord Il

Somewhat sad to see such little activity in this thread. This is easily one of the better action/adventure series in years.

talonmalon333

I'm liking it but I'm only 4-5 episodes in. I'll be posting here more as I get further.

Avaitor

I've been watning to watch this again recently. Well, watch the first series again, and give the rest of it a go too.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

I finally finished watching Roberta's Blood Trail. That was, by far, the best part of the entire series. It improved greatly upon the source material, especially near the end, which played out very differently from how it did in the manga. Overall, an A+ epilogue to an A+ anime.

The Shadow Gentleman

I'm planning on finishing this once I finish FMP TSR and find something to write about for an article.

From what you guys are saying, it should be fun.

Spark Of Spirit

I dunno, I think Gunswordfist said TSR wasn't very good.  :joy:
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 21, 2013, 06:39:17 PM
It's Gunswordfist.

Quote from: Foggle on August 21, 2013, 06:56:41 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 21, 2013, 06:39:17 PM
:anger: :anger: :anger: :anger: :anger: :anger: :anger:
Also this.