Gravity Falls

Started by Mr. Big, June 16, 2012, 08:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

If that's true... well, then that's that.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

The promo in question is this.

All they say is that "this spring, the new home for Gravity Falls and Wander Over Yonder is Disney XD." Not really sure what to make of that. It's too vague a statement. I'm going to wait until they make an official press release announcing that the shows are going to be exclusive to XD from now on before I start getting worried. If they are just going to be premiering new episodes on there first, well, Phineas and Ferb did that for a while too, and it didn't get canceled or stop airing on Disney Channel or nothing.

King Hippo

That may well be true, but the fact that the newest batch of shorts are premiering on XD causes my antennae to go up.

I'll reserve final judgement until the next season actually premieres, but there's no question Disney's handling of this show has been abysmal.

Kiddington

...........and this is why we can't have nice things. Honestly though, it was never gonna last. It's popular on tumblr and what all, but I don't think this show resonates with general audiences like Phineas & Ferb or whatever. Certainly doesn't help matters that Disney markets it as poorly as humanly possible, but it is what it is I guess.

At this point I'll just be happy if it ever ends up on DVD/Netflix/whatever. The episodes we do have are good enough to tide me over for the foreseeable future, especially given that I lost all of my recordings months ago and haven't seen most of these in quite a while.

Avaitor

The strange thing is, from what I've seen Gravity Falls did better in the ratings than P&F was when they were airing new episodes together. I can't tell if that's due to fatigue for P&F, the fact that it was on a half hour later, or that GF was becoming a more popular show, but it's weird to see it get the shaft already.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

We still don't know if it actually is getting the shaft. While the shorts premiering on XD first is odd, the promo saying the new home for GF and WOY being XD is vague at best and we've yet to see if the show is going to be taken off Disney Channel, or if new episodes won't air on there at all.

I just feel we're all jumping the gun a bit, since all we have to go on is a 30-second promo that tells no substantial information.

Kiddington

I dunno, I'd say it's highly unlikely it lasts past a second season. You don't kill a series momentum this badly if you intend to keep it around for a while.

...........and wait, wasn't Wander Over Yonder already cancelled? Or am I mistaken?

LumRanmaYasha

Wander Over Yonder hasn't been cancelled yet. However, it also has yet to be renewed. It took a year for them to renew Gravity Falls for a second season, so I wouldn't count WOY out, but it's fate is up in the air.

Anyway, I actually found more substantial information on what is going on. According to Craig McCracken, new Wander Over Yonder episodes will premiere first on XD, but later air on Disney Channel as well. This is probably also what's happening with Gravity Falls too. Now, I can't say I can get too worried from this, because this is what happened to Phineas and Ferb when it started it's second season, and that show didn't get cancelled or nothing. I don't know how likely it is GF will get renewed past a second season, but the past evidence doesn't prove conclusively that Disney wont do it.

King Hippo

We may be looking at a Freakazoid scenario in which the show didn't get the audience the network wanted. Except I know for a fact that kids love the show.

The long break they took after Summerwean aired is understandable, because new episodes simply weren't ready. However, there's no excuse for this wait. This is longer than the Young Justice hiatus, and GF isn't exactly demanding in the visual department. My best guess is that Disney simply wasn't willing to give Hirsch the budget he wanted.

I'm sure all the new episodes will air on DC at some point, but their premieres numbers will be much lower than Season 1. Whether that ultimately matters remains to be seen.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Kiddington on April 19, 2014, 03:37:59 AM
...........and this is why we can't have nice things. Honestly though, it was never gonna last. It's popular on tumblr and what all, but I don't think this show resonates with general audiences like Phineas & Ferb or whatever. Certainly doesn't help matters that Disney markets it as poorly as humanly possible, but it is what it is I guess.
That's what happens when you market a supernatural comedy with internet memes. Gravity Falls has had the worst ads I've seen for a show in ages.

I hope it lasts through season 2, but I'm willing to bet it'll be the final one. Unless Disney starts trying, that is.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daikun

Skeeter Valentine

Already saw them online.

Weird how they gave Thompson such a large role.

Daikun

Season 2 premieres August 1!

We also got some teaser pics from Alex Hirsch's Twitter!

LumRanmaYasha

Finally. I hope they pace out the new episodes better this time so we don't have to suffer big breaks in between them again.