Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silverstar

That was a good one. I agree with Doug that parody's in a pretty sorry state right now outside of the internet. Shows like Family Guy and the so-called 'Movie-Movies' are the worst: they just toss a bunch of topical and pop-culture references all over the place, as if references alone automatically equate jokes, and half of these references either have nothing at all to do with the subject or they'll become extremely dated in short order. ("Look at us! We're referencing Transformers! We're referencing the 'Leave Britney Alone' kid! We're referencing Honey Boo-Boo! We're referencing some movie or TV show from the 80's! LAUGH!!!")

Watching these kinds of half-assed parodies is like listening to a little kid tell you a joke they've made up themselves: you know it's not going to be funny because it has no basis in reality, it's going to reference a bunch of stuff that's on TV and movies right now and anything that looks like a passable laugh will be repeated several times over, as if its' very repetition makes it funnier.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Dr. Insomniac

Apparently, blip now makes people wait 90 seconds if they use AdBlock, which seems to be partly influenced by Linkara's complaining about not getting enough revenue from AT4W. He makes an understandable point, but this is starting to seem familiar to that whole deal with Metallica and Napster.

Plus, there's a great deal of irony in how people who fought for being able to freely use copywritten material are now against the idea of their product being watched for free.

Goldstar

I've never used AdBlocker, although I've been tempted to sometimes. I especially hate how on YouTube, when I'm looking for a commercial, I'm forced to watch another commercial before I can watch the ad I'm looking for! I read last year that some DVR companies may be disabling the ability to skip past commercials in the near future.

I don't particularly like being forced to watch commercials, but at the same time, I understand that programs don't fund themselves. They need sponsors to stay afloat, and sponsors need to advertise. That's how the industry works. I'm not in love with the ads or anything, but I'd rather sit through a couple of inane commercials than have to pay to watch the online programs. As long as there aren't too many of them running at one time, I don't care. I see advertising as a necessary evil.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Peanutbutter

I liked it. It was funny, especially the T-Rex song and its "lines". I'm glad the Demo Reel crew's skits were tied into the review and not too long or dragged out like the Son of the Mask or Catwoman review. Most of all, even if it was just because of the 3D rerelease, it's good to see Doug do a nostalgic review again. And hey, it was a positive review, something we haven't seen in a while too!  :thumbup:

I don't mind the movies he's picked since his return, but there's still quite a few 90s movies the Critic never tackled; nevermind the 80s. Just off the top of my head, there's Mom and Dad Save the World, And You Thought You're Parents Were Weird, Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead, and Stay Tuned. All of those I think would be good episodes.

talonmalon333

It was a good video, though he kind of nitpicked at points (Alan clearly knew that baby was a raptor, questioning the logic of cloning in a movie that's not meant to be totally realistic, etc.). I mean, I guess it's kind of in his character and he does it for a laugh, but still. But I'm glad he acknowledges that his issues with the movie don't get in the way. I still think the film is beyond awesome.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Peanutbutter

Doug's review this week is A.I. The review itself was all right, but save for a quick Mel Gibson joke, I felt the TMZ skits ran a bit too long. Though that having been said, after hearing TMZ went and pulled a Wisseau on TGWTG I don't mind them too much.

talonmalon333

I think the skits in the new episodes in general have gone way too long. It just hurts the reviews' rewatch value for me.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Peanutbutter on May 29, 2013, 11:29:32 PM
, after hearing TMZ went and pulled a Wisseau on TGWTG

What's this drama all about?

Avaitor

New blog!

Peanutbutter

I love his editorials. Even if they're obvious questions, as long as he can make an insightful and/or funny commentary on them, I don't see anything wrong with them. Something else I love is how unpredictable what the subject is going to be until its posted. Its always at least a little surprising.

Quote from: Daxdiv on May 29, 2013, 11:50:47 PM
Quote from: Peanutbutter on May 29, 2013, 11:29:32 PM
, after hearing TMZ went and pulled a Wisseau on TGWTG

What's this drama all about?

They had a video on YouTube, TMZ got YouTube to take it down and sent them an e-mail.

No-Personality

So, Welshy is leaving. And not like Roses who left but still makes videos (and I hugely recommend checking out her Maniac Mansion Let's Play): he's not making videos anymore, at all. Apparently, he explained why on Tumblr but I haven't subscribed to him yet.

Since I think he was easily one of the site's best reviewers, this is a shame. He had a remarkable ability to deliver dynamic reviews defending films I hate passionately. A good example of his extremely detailed style of review. Knowing now that he's leaving really makes me wish he'd chosen to review the Halloween franchise (as he planned to) rather than Saw (which he never finished).

In slightly happier news, at a panel with Linkara and MarzGurl, Obscurus Lupa announced that she might begin reviewing the Nightmare on Elm Street films around the close of the year. (Meanwhile, she's on Witchcraft 7 out of 13 films in that franchise, so it's going to be a long year.)
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

What do you guys think about Doug's Last Airbender vlogs?

Personally, I like them, since unlike his Disney or Dreamworks videos, he isn't trying to act like an expert nor are his analytical flaws as apparent. With these videos, he's just shooting the shit about the show, and while I'm not much of a fan of it, I just like hearing what he has to say, as the whole thing's new to him.

New blog!

The Shadow Gentleman

It's defiantly better than Disneycember and whatnot. He actually sounds a lot like me when I first saw early episodes of the series. I especially what to see what he thinks of the series as a whole when he's done.