Yu Yu Hakusho

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 06:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I can't say I agree with that. Aside from classics like Yu Yu Hakusho, Fist of the North Star, Dragon Ball, and even a few other classics that I haven't seen but still acknowledge like Ashita no Joe, I have trouble thinking of more than a few good modern shonen series.

Meanwhile, on the front of superhero cartoons, we've had plenty of good or at least decent shows both in recent years and the last decade in general. Young Justice is easily the best currently running cartoon around, period (well IMO, anways),  Avengers: EMH got off to a slow start but picked up its pace and became pretty great by the 2nd half of its season, The Specatcular Spider-Man was great all of the way through, Batman the Brave and the Bold has been great from what I have seen of it, and while I was never too big on Unlimited, I still acknowledge its great writing and animation, and I also loved the first 2 seasons of the Justice League. I could name more good shows, but overall I have trouble thinking of any worthwhile action shonen series aside from One Piece, and even that doesn't really count since it started way back in the late 90's.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 14, 2011, 11:06:27 AM
I can't say I agree with that. Aside from classics like Yu Yu Hakusho, Fist of the North Star, Dragon Ball, and even a few other classics that I haven't seen but still acknowledge like Ashita no Joe, I have trouble thinking of more than a few good modern shonen series.

Meanwhile, on the front of superhero cartoons, we've had plenty of good or at least decent shows both in recent years and the last decade in general. Young Justice is easily the best currently running cartoon around, period (well IMO, anways),  Avengers: EMH got off to a slow start but picked up its pace and became pretty great by the 2nd half of its season, The Specatcular Spider-Man was great all of the way through, Batman the Brave and the Bold has been great from what I have seen of it, and while I was never too big on Unlimited, I still acknowledge its great writing and animation, and I also loved the first 2 seasons of the Justice League. I could name more good shows, but overall I have trouble thinking of any worthwhile action shonen series aside from One Piece, and even that doesn't really count since it started way back in the late 90's.
You didn't name any pre90s superhero cartoons which is part of my point.

I like all those superhero shows except for the two you know I don't care for. Also, I wouldn't count Young Justice yet. It's in the warm up phase like JL was. We all know it will get better but can't give it points for something that hasn't happened yet.

Shounen has more series simply because Japan shits out more. This isn't a quality argument yet. My stretch of favorite shounen goes for the 70s to whenever FMAB ended. As for superhero cartoons, it's just the said Spider-man and Superman classics and some DC cartoons and the occasional good Marvel shows.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think you just missed the point, though. You're going on about how there aren't any good pre-90's superhero cartoons whereas there are good pre-90's shonen series. That's very true, but my point was that aside from those classics, can you think of ANY good post 90's action shonen series?

There have been plenty of great superhero cartoons since BTAS's debut, thanks to its high level of influence on the genre. With shonen, we still pretty much only have the good classics and most of the modern stuff is crap. The thing is, there are just more good superhero cartoons out there than good shonen that I can think of. That is unless of course you somehow prefer shit like Bleach to gold like Batman: The Animated Series. Knowing you I wouldn't be too surprised if that was in-line with your taste. :>

gunswordfist

Actually most of my favorite anime is from the 90s and up and there's only a few I like before that. Even with the few shounen I do like, it's still at least twice as much as the small amount DC and Marvel have. I bet you can only scrap together a list of 10 superhero cartoons worth watching while I can easily throw together a 20 post 80s shounen list with one hand tied behind my back.

talonmalon333

Just shut up, gunswordfist. You're not impressing anyone.

By the way, not to be negative, but did anyone ever notice how... bad the art in this show is? I mean, at first glance it seems okay, but old. But recently, I've noticed little things that are just horrendous. For example, during Genkai's tournament, you have the scene where Koenma picks up the phone and it's King Enma... did anyone ever take a look at the ogres in the back?

Spark Of Spirit

Cheap animation will do that. They did great with what they had.

Not like there are scenes with characters missing a head or being distorted out of existence like many other long running shonen series.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 15, 2011, 11:09:24 AM

By the way, not to be negative, but did anyone ever notice how... bad the art in this show is? I mean, at first glance it seems okay, but old. But recently, I've noticed little things that are just horrendous. For example, during Genkai's tournament, you have the scene where Koenma picks up the phone and it's King Enma... did anyone ever take a look at the ogres in the back?

You've been a fan of this series for years and you only JUST noticed that? You're pretty slow, aren't you? :P

Rynnec

The Hiei vs Bui fight is one of the times where it's REALLY noticable.

I'd totally post screencaps if I had the right tools, 'cause that shit just looked trippy.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Rynnec on July 15, 2011, 09:21:31 PM
The Hiei vs Bui fight is one of the times where it's REALLY noticable.

I'd totally post screencaps if I had the right tools, 'cause that shit just looked trippy.
Juggling?

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 15, 2011, 08:46:50 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 15, 2011, 11:09:24 AM

You've been a fan of this series for years and you only JUST noticed that? You're pretty slow, aren't you? :P

Not as slow as the guy who took a millennium to notice that post.

Angus

Most of the superhero cartoons I watched were aimed for kids so they tended to have "moral of the story" and also some kid peers involved in the action, much like how Rurouni Kenshin had to throw in Yahiko and Dragonball Z had Gohan. Not required though like with Spider-Man which had some nice voiceover monologue. Still enjoyed many of the characters who had the secret identities and transformed. Saturday mornings were the only times they showed new stuff, the rest of the week was all reruns. Serials were tough to follow so I don't know if YYH would have done well in comparison since main characters would disappear for some episodes and come back, while the cartoons got to pull from a big pool of Superfriends, Marvel, or Hanna Barbera characters.

I still like YYH gradually built up the arcs. The first season ones were practically episodic, but then the rescue arcs got longer and the characters still get introduced at a decent pace, not overwhelming you as with Bleach's 13 whatever generals.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Angus

D'oh I forgot that there wasn't much in the superhero cartoon offerings for teens, not until at least Batman and when The Simpsons brought cartoons back to prime time, and when violence of the non-generic explosion kind was allowed to be shown in cartoons.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Angus

Sounds like recap stuff, at least according to ANN:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=3350

Maybe they'll have theme music like they did with the Burst Angel Infinity extras.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Eizou Hakusho isn't a recap. Its a set of bonus animation shorts and interviews with the original Seiyuu for YYH.

Also, that set is fake unless FUNimation themselves confirms such a release, and last time I checked Justin Cook actually indicated that dubbing the OVA got canceled entirely, while FUNimation has never shown any intention of dubbing the movie. It also doesn't make too much sense for them to package it in a set using the season 1 DVD cover skin (though someone certainly did a nice job of photo-shopping the YYH characters onto that set since this is obviously what was done to get that picture).