"Man of Steel" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Lord Dalek, June 14, 2013, 12:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

"You just have to decide what kind of man you want to grow up to be, Clark. Whoever that man is, he's going to change the world." - Jonathan Kent

Release Date: June 14, 2013
Studio: Warner Bros./Legendary/Syncopy
Director: Zach Snyder
Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1 (Panavision)
Starring: Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane, Lawrence Fishburne, Russell Crowe

Plot Summary: A young boy learns that he has extraordinary powers and is not of this Earth. As a young man, he journeys to discover where he came from and what he was sent here to do. But the hero in him must emerge if he is to save the world from annihilation and become the symbol of hope for all mankind.

COMMENTS?

LD Talkback #221

Superman returns yet again, but judging from the Tomatometer, it may be all for naught.

Silverstar

I liked Man of Steel. It wasn't perfect, but I wouldn't call it a bad movie by any stretch.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I still want to see the movie, but I might just wait until it comes out on DVD.

As far as the reviews for this movie go, I think people seem to forget that its not getting flat-out negative reviews across the board. I have seen a number of positive reviews for it as well, so its getting mixed reception more than anything else.

Here's what I hope, though: I hope that whatever problems this movie has, that DC learns from them and improves future Superman and Justice-League related films (and DC films in general). I can't fucking stand the notion that every time we get a less than stellar or even bad movie in a series, that the entire series needs to be started from scratch again. People seem to think that a series needs to be perfect or not continue at all. If Man of Steel is a flawed movie, then so be it. It doesn't mean that a sequel done by a better director couldn't still be great (assuming the film is left open for a sequel at the end). It'd sure be a lot better than telling Superman's origin story yet again.

Honestly, just imagine if that reboot phenomenon happened a few decades ago. In that case, we never would have made it to  Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan, would we?

Avaitor

I think I read that a Man of Steel sequel is happening regardless.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

GregX

Ahem...

Spoiler
How come the whole world doesn't know Superman is Clark Kent? The military was tracking every ship and shuttle that landed on Earth, and there was a very over the top battle at the Kent farm. Lois even has a cop drop her off at the Kent farm and runs into Superman's arms shouting "Clark!" in front of the cop.
[close]

Lord Il

Just saw it a few hours ago. A lot better than I was expecting for such a movie reboot. I liked how it wasn't insulting to the fans by not going into too much detail with his childhood, but just highlighted some key points of it to support the overall story...... no need for it to be spoon-fed to everyone since everyone should have a good grasp of how it went down by now.

Those who enjoy movies with a lot of action won't be disappointed by this latest offering.

And lots of things 'spode in collosal proportions. Perhaps a little too over-the-top? hmm..

hobbyfan

Saw it today.

It was better than it had any right to be, really. Not on board with Zod killing Jor-El before the destruction of Krypton, as that goes against comics canon. That reminds me of the atrocity of Fantastic Four linking Dr. Doom's origin with the FF in the first film.

The one battle with Superman vs. Faora reminds me of Thor vs. the Destroyer, and that was just 2 years ago. An African-American Perry White? With an ear piercing? Well, one out of two isn't so bad.

When Col. Hardy shot at Faora, did anyone not have any Stabler flashbacks? (Both played by the same actor, Christopher Meloni, who'd make a great Batman, BTW)

I think we'll see Luthor in the sequel. Just a hunch.

talonmalon333

I'm going to see this tonight. I'll probably comment on it afterward.

talonmalon333

Alright so I just got back from seeing this. It was kind of a last minute July 4th decision to see this with my brother and some friends of ours. The theater was pretty packed.

One thing I'd like to note was, before the movie started, there was a trailer for the next Hobbit movie. And I must say... why did they feel the need to reveal the design of Smaug in a trailer? They've been carefully avoiding revealing what he truly looks like aside from a few snips (his tail, eye, etc.). So why did they decide to just smash that attempted buildup and just show the dragon before the movie even comes out? Just seems like bad planning to me.

As for Man of Steel, it was........ good? Or at least, it was decent. The action was good. I felt like the story just came up short. None of the characters, aside from maybe Superman, got much development, neither did his relationship with Lois. I'll say it was probably entertaining enough that I'll keep up with this series.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I might just finally cave in and see this movie tomorrow.

Silverstar

Apparently the sequel to Man of Steel is going to double as the Supes/Bats crossover movie:

QuoteWarner Bros. is about to bring together two of its most iconic heroes: Superman and Batman will unite in a new film, the follow-up to ?Man of Steel,? set for release in 2015.

According to two sources with knowledge of the movie, Warner Bros. intends to announce the news at its Comic-Con International panel Saturday morning. Said a Warner Bros. spokesperson, ?We don?t comment on rumors regarding these properties.?

?Man of Steel? director Zack Snyder is expected to reunite with screenwriter David S. Goyer and star Henry Cavill for the new film. It?s unlikely Christian Bale will step back into the bat suit, as the actor has indicated publicly that he has moved on from his days as Bruce Wayne.

Wow, they're doing the World's Finest movie so soon? I figured we'd get another Superman solo movie, then maybe a Flash or Wonder Woman film (yeah, I know the latter stands a snowball's chance of happening, but a fan can dream), then the Superman/Batman team up movie. WB is really pushing forward to make this Justice League movie happen.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

The Shadow Gentleman

I was kind of hoping the sequel would be about Luthor framing Superman, but a World's Finest film work too.