Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've been reading some classic Doctor Strange runs as of late; from the late 60's to the mid 70's by writers like Roy Thomas and Gardner Fox, which have a very surreal and otherworldly take on the character and his adventures compared to the more expected superhero stuff. It feels like something that closer resembles a 50's horror comic in quite a few instances with the good doctor taking on cults and demonic or otherworldly entities as opposed to more basic physical threats. This reminded me of how Doctor Strange's director Scott Derrickson, who's more known for his horror filmography, once stated that if given a chance to do a sequel, he'd want to craft it more like a horror film.

At first I wasn't quite sure if that would work, but now I can see a pretty solid foundation from the source material to serve as a basis for that. The stuff with Nightmare can make for a very trippy and surreal Nightmare on Elm Street style affair. Or, when he takes on cults that try to summon sinister beings like Shuma-Gorath or that unleash beasts like Dagoth or The Undying Ones, it could work as a mix between something like Rosemary's Baby or The Wicker Man or Race with the Devil combined with a 50's Monster B-flick. It wouldn't even need an R-rating since gore was never a factor here so much as occult horror elements.

That said, of course this would never fit with Disney's current family-friendly image for these movies. While I have gone out of my way to defend the MCU in the past (and I still do), one general criticism that I do agree with is their tendency to play things safe in regard to limited mixing in of other genres. It's unfortunate because movies like a horror-themed Doctor Strange could really help break the mold of the MCU's general tone into something more varied and interesting.

That said, just some food for thought on my end. Maybe nobody else but me actually wants to see something like that.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, they recently announced a Shang-Chi movie, which is cool and all, but also has me somewhat perplexed. I'm familiar with the character by affiliation with other Marvel groups like The Avengers and Secret Avengers, but I've always seen him as a supporting character and was never aware of any solo runs for him from what I can tell. So, that kind of strikes me as an odd choice for a character to base a solo film off of.

Seems more to me like they just wanted to do an Iron Fist movie but didn't want to wait for Netflix's rights to the character to expire in order to use him.

Dr. Insomniac

Quotebut didn't want to wait for Netflix's rights to the character to expire in order to use him.
I wonder how Marvel would make a movie for a Netflix character if they ever considered it. If they made a Daredevil movie, would it reference the show's events but keep it broad enough that audiences wouldn't be out of the loop?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, the most noteworthy thing about the Captain Marvel trailer is how many people are commenting online that Carol's blonde glowing hair, flight, and energy blasts make her look like a live-action Super-Saiyan.

This then got me wondering if FOX still owns the rights to adapting Dragonball to film. If so, then do they automatically go to Disney when the buyout is complete? In that case, I want my DB Cinematic Universe, Disney. :sly:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So after months of telling us that Endgame wasn't the title to the fourth Avengers film, it turns out that Marvel lied to us: https://youtu.be/wuOvmyuYFMo

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Just saw Into the Spider-Verse. It deserves the hype. I recommend it.

Dr. Insomniac

Into the Spider-Verse was fucking great. Every shot was so stylized, like a 2-hour long music video. I hope this movie's reception will convince Sony to make spinoff films for Noir and Peni.

And for some reason or another, the Japanese producers thought the best way to advertise the movie was to make it look and sound like Tokyo Ghoul.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It's almost like....Sony allowed the creators to actually make a movie....without interfering....and it was great. Go figure. :??:

Though, with how obsessed Avi Arad and the other executives are with trying to set up a dozen spin-offs with each new movie over there, Lord and Miller pitching them a movie introducing six new highly marketable characters was probably music to their ears, so they may have been on the same page for once.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Trailer: https://youtu.be/PuV92mmp1cU

To quote someone on YouTube: "The new Hellboy parody looks great."

I mean, it looks like cheesy fun, but for all of the hype about how much darker and more comics-accurate this adaptation was supposed to be, I think I prefer the tone of Del Toro's movies to this. Literally the only thing it seems to have over it is the upped violence. I'm still going to see it, obviously, so I hope it's at least fun.

Though, on that note, who's bright idea was it to adapt The Storm and the Fury arc as the first outing of a new Hellboy series? You know, the literal climax to the entire series. Kind of an odd choice if you ask me. Also, before anyone else says it, Hellboy in Hell is an extended epilogue.

Dr. Insomniac

Daikun

Foggle

This is extremely good and accurate though.

Dr. Insomniac