Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 17, 2016, 08:16:32 PM
New X-Men: Apocalypse trailer: http://youtu.be/PfBVIHgQbYk

If this is even half as good as Days of Future Past, then this year can officially be considered FOX's redemption for Fant4stic.
Haven't really been digging the trailers to be honest, but I felt the same way about Days of Future Past and ended up being blown away by it, so I'll give this one the benefit of the doubt. As long as we get a classy performance from Oscar Isaac as Apocalypse, I'll probably love it. :)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Honestly, I like the trailers well enough, myself. My only gripe is that it seems to focus a bit too much on Mystique, but from a marketing standpoint it makes sense since Jennifer Lawrence is insanely popular right now.

I really just trust Bryan Singer when it comes to X-Men movies, though. So far, every single film in the franchise which he's been involved with has been great, IMO.

Also, this is the second X-Men film to utilize a major Game of Thrones actor, so there's that as well.

Spark Of Spirit

I've been avoiding just about anything about it until it comes out. Partially because I've always loathed Apocalypse, but also because this is the last core X-Men movie until they take it away from Singer, so I figure I might as well wait until it comes out. DOFP was such a good ending point for the series, though. It's got a lot to live up to.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 17, 2016, 10:16:28 PM
Honestly, I like the trailers well enough, myself. My only gripe is that it seems to focus a bit too much on Mystique, but from a marketing standpoint it makes sense since Jennifer Lawrence is insanely popular right now.

I really just trust Bryan Singer when it comes to X-Men movies, though. So far, every single film in the franchise which he's been involved with has been great, IMO.
I don't think they're bad or anything, but they haven't really grabbed me like the Civil War trailers do. Certainly better than Batman v Superman's, though...

And yeah, all four Bryan Singer X-Men movies have been fantastic.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 17, 2016, 10:21:55 PM
I've been avoiding just about anything about it until it comes out. Partially because I've always loathed Apocalypse, but also because this is the last core X-Men movie until they take it away from Singer, so I figure I might as well wait until it comes out. DOFP was such a good ending point for the series, though. It's got a lot to live up to.
What don't you like about Apocalypse? I don't really know anything about the character.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, at least this version of Apocalypse is apparently nothing like the comic book version, as any one of the pissed off Apocalypse fans could tell you. But on the plus side, that's probably more appealing to Desensitized and Avaitor.

As for the trailers, I think the problem is that marketing has gotten rather lazy these days. A few years ago this trailer probably would have been good enough to stir up a lot of hype, but now it falls under a generic formula that most superhero movie trailers follow: Have someone narrate in the background about how serious shit is getting, have the villain say some supposedly intimidating lines, and montage through quick-cuts of action set-piece moments along with characters saying potentially quotable lines out of context.

You can basically trace these tropes back by at least a decade or so, as far as movie trailers go, and they've only become more prevalent. When you're seeing something that you're overly familiar with, it's hard to get excited about it.

Foggle

I recently watched the entire Sam Raimi Spider-Man trilogy again. The third one was easily my favorite. How times have changed! :D

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 18, 2016, 08:55:49 AM
As for the trailers, I think the problem is that marketing has gotten rather lazy these days. A few years ago this trailer probably would have been good enough to stir up a lot of hype, but now it falls under a generic formula that most superhero movie trailers follow: Have someone narrate in the background about how serious shit is getting, have the villain say some supposedly intimidating lines, and montage through quick-cuts of action set-piece moments along with characters saying potentially quotable lines out of context.

You can basically trace these tropes back by at least a decade or so, as far as movie trailers go, and they've only become more prevalent. When you're seeing something that you're overly familiar with, it's hard to get excited about it.
I think you're right. Most trailers feel like they follow one of three templates, which switch around every half-decade or so.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

With the exception of the dancing scene, which is silly without containing any of the charm of Raimi's ususal brand of humor, I genuinely enjoyed Spider-Man 3 as campy fun, just like the first 2 movies. I'd actually say that the second film suffers a bit from taking itself too seriously at times.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 21, 2016, 10:34:17 PM
With the exception of the dancing scene, which is silly without containing any of the charm of Raimi's ususal brand of humor, I genuinely enjoyed Spider-Man 3 as campy fun, just like the first 2 movies. I'd actually say that the second film suffers a bit from taking itself too seriously at times.
The dancing scene is amazing IMO; I laughed so hard. I agree that the second film isn't quite as good as the other two due to its occasional lack of humor, but it was still really enjoyable.

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 21, 2016, 10:55:42 PM
*throws up*
:D

Avaitor

39% and going all over the place, I guess.

Who's surprised? It seems like BvS, where it has a cult following, but probably has more detractors, who will probably end up contributing to a high box-office total regardless.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daikun

Spark Of Spirit

But I thought grit and darkness was the answer to everything!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I've heard things like Wonder Woman and Eisenberg are the best things about the movie. WHAT A TWIST!!
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody