Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peanutbutter

Still think Watchmen was good, but at this point that was probably only because Zack didn't have final say-so over everything.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 26, 2016, 02:41:39 PM
QuoteI had a buddy who tried getting me into "normal" comic books, but I was all like, "No one is having sex or killing each other. This isn't really doing it for me." I was a little broken, that way. So when Watchmen came along, I was, "This is more my scene."
Quotewe're going to have a fricking Captain America movie if we're not careful.
QuoteBut he doesn't, like, get raped in prison. That could happen in my movie. If you want to talk about dark, that's how that would go.
This is one of the worst things I've ever read. :whuh:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Now literally everything about Zack Snyder's filmography makes sense, except for just one thing: How the hell does he keep getting work? He's like the Jai Courtney of movie directors.

Incidentally, Jai Courtney is cast as Captain Boomerang in Suicide Squad. That instantly makes it a bad movie.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Also, on the subject of comparing Zack Snyder to Michael Bay, I found out two interesting tidbits of information:

1. Snyder started out his career by directing music videos and commercials, much like Bay.

2. He met and befriended Bay as a classmate at the same film school.

It's actually scary how much sense his makes, now.

Foggle

Funnily enough, Alan Moore is basically the anti-Snyder.

Spark Of Spirit

He's even fully aware of how Watchmen ended up bogging comics down, too.

Still waiting for Snyder to get the greenlight to make TDKR into a movie regardless. I have no faith in WB at this point.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 27, 2016, 04:59:55 PM

Still waiting for Snyder to get the greenlight to make TDKR into a movie regardless. I have no faith in WB at this point.
There's already TDKR movies and I hear they're great.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 27, 2016, 10:21:15 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 27, 2016, 04:59:55 PM

There's already TDKR movies and I hear they're great.
They are. I'm talking about a live action one with all the fun sucked out like all his other movies.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Spark Of Spirit

But that's not his scene.

Peanutbutter

"Sources at WB tell me that this is just one part of what's going on behind the scenes at the DC movieverse. Zack Snyder and Geoff Johns were taken aback at critical and audience reaction to Batman v Superman, I'm told, and WB execs have found themselves at odds with Snyder over his vision for Justice League and the DC movieverse going forward. Of course Justice League was scheduled to start shooting mere days after BvS was released, which meant WB couldn't take any definitive action – like removing Snyder or delaying the movie to make changes – without poisoning the box office for BvS. The result? Lots of fights between Snyder and the WB execs, and lots of pressure from Burbank on Snyder, who is shooting in London."

batman-news.com/2016/04/30/zack-snyder-warner-bros-fight-justice-league/

Uh oh, sounds like there's trouble in paradise!

Dr. Insomniac

Interested at how muted the hype is for X-Men Apocalypse. No extreme anticipation like Civil War and Deadpool or disgust that it exists like Dawn of Justice and Fant4stic. I guess that's what happens when Marvel takes a militant "Fuck Mutants!" stance across all media, but I'm not even hearing many X-Men fans or people who liked the past two movies shout about how they're excited or anything.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The same thing happened when The Wolverine was coming out a few years ago and nobody was talking about it. That had a lot to do with Man of Steel and Iron Man 3 taking a lot of attention away from it. People showed more interest in DOFP because at the time only TASM2 was there to draw people's attention away from it  (ironically enough), while people weren't initially expecting much from The Winter Soldier (because they're brainless idiots who wouldn't understand how awesome Captain America is unless the movie also has lots of action in it) or Guardians of the Galaxy (because apparently The Avengers meets Star Wars was too hard of a sell for them).

This year already brought us two huge superhero films in Deadpool and Batman V. Superman (actual quality notwithstanding), and is also bringing us Civil War, so that's three big movies in close proximity to it which are distracting people from thinking about it as opposed to one. And while you could make the argument that people lack interest due to the underwhelming trailers, you should keep in mind that all X-Men films have had a pretty poor track record with cutting exciting trailers.

Foggle

I'm not particularly excited for Apocalypse, but I'll definitely be seeing it in theaters unless it gets really horrible word of mouth or something. To be honest, the only recent superhero films I've actually anticipated for months beforehand are Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool. Civil War is probably the most excited I've been for one of these movies otherwise, and that's because the first two Captain America films were so good and the trailers have proven that it won't have much to do with the godawful comic book.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

There's also the fact that practically half of the wold has already seen it and said that it was amazing and is simultaneously a great conclusion to the Cap Trilogy while also being the best Spider-Man movie that we've ever had, so it's a no-brainer that we should be excited to see it.

As for Apocalypse, I'm a fan of Bryan Singer so I have much more faith in this film than Foggle does. As I already pointed out, it's not like this series has ever really had great trailers to begin with, even for the better movies, so I can only judge whether it's any good or not once I see it for myself. While it could always potentially suck or be mediocre, the track record of the people behind this movie tends to reveal better results, more often than not.