Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

If they add Kingpin and it's D'Onofrio, I will forgive their shenanigans in regards to the TV/movie split.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Peanutbutter

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

By the way, saw Civil War with my brother the other day. He didn't know Spider-Man was showing up, so his reactions to all of his scenes were priceless! By the end, I think he was already enjoying him a lot.

As far as I'm concerned, Baron Zemo has just topped Loki as the best MCU villain. Thank God like Loki he wasn't killed off. I hope next time he gets to wear a modified version of his traditional costume.

gunswordfist

Well now you have my attention, Spider-Man Homecoming.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 20, 2016, 12:32:19 PM
Tom Holland and Marvel making it doesn't?  ;)
I'd never heard of Tom Holland before they announced him as Spider-Man, to be honest. I absolutely love the character, SSM, several of the comic runs, and a few of the other Spider-People, but I've been kind of burned out on live action incarnations since this is now the second reboot. Still, hoping for the best, and D'Onofrio being in it would be amazing.

Avaitor

Did you see Civil War yet, Foggle?

I'm not sure if D'Onofrio is showing up for Homecoming, but it looks like we're getting Michael Keaton for the Vulture. I can't argue about that casting, but this is nothing compared to how crazy the new Thor's casting is right now.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Kind of ironic to have Michael Keaton in a superhero movie after starring in another movie which outright ridiculed them. :sly:

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on May 21, 2016, 08:52:43 AM
Did you see Civil War yet, Foggle?
Not yet. :(

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on May 21, 2016, 09:30:11 AM
Kind of ironic to have Michael Keaton in a superhero movie after starring in another movie which outright ridiculed them. :sly:
And he's playing a... bird man.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The Spider-Man in Civil War reminds me of the Spider-Man from TSSM. Personally, I find that to be awesome since Josh Keaton does my favorite Spider-Man portrayal by far.

The Shadow Gentleman

Our favorite cinematic critic discusses the similarities between western and eastern entertainment.
Quoteand as long as the technical quality and representation of the hero is sound and we do a big crossover every once in a while, people aren't going to care that absolutely none of the films work as their own standalone thing and that Black Panther was a poorly written extra who we never got to know, and I don't want to know about because he doesn't seem very important.
QuoteBut Ant-Man was the real killer. Good god did I hate that film. Paul Rudd's character was nothing but Tiger from Tiger & Bunny with all the character flaws and relationship with his daughter stripped away, the heist plot was unimaginative
Quotehere are two big reasons. One is that my family is so big into the thing that I couldn't escape even if I wanted to. The second aka the more personal one is that they're pretty much the Western equivalent of watching anime – or to be more precise, the worst aspects of anime. And there's just something about having a Western equivalent to my main hobby that's really comforting, mostly because when my friends ask me why I dislike what they do, I can point at these films and go "because it's worse than this shit!". It's actually really funny how almost none of my anime colleagues keep up with the MCU the way I do because of the very thing I can say about the anime they like, only with superheroes. "I can forgive a weak story because I like the character so much". "I want to see this character in her own solo film/series". "Best girl". These are the exact same defenses I've seen for stuff like 90% of what gets popular in anime, and yet for some reason when your story has a guy in a silly costume and his name isn't Zero, somehow it's not okay. You never see me saying that shit for my preferred genres, if only because I have one preferred genre and it's called "good".
QuoteAnd as Jojo/Monogatari/Detective Conan has shown, I'm also against the idea of a franchise running on forever and trying so hard to connect everything. What can I say? I don't read superhero comics, I've been burned too many times with sequels in the past, and I've been surprised too many times with new experiences to settle for staying in a comfort zone.
QuotePersonally, I'm all in favor of the 90s sequel being as offensive as possible just so that we can get the discussion boards as long as Batman v Superman's. It'd definitely be a lot easier than making Apocalypse or The Last Stand. Just have it be nothing but two hours of Jean Grey blowing up a bunch of lesbians, inside-out. And if you're feeling suicidal, make them all a bunch of white women wearing black face.
QuoteAny X-Men creators who may be reading this blog, please don't be that suicidal.

Avaitor

I'm still worried about Apocalypse, but I'm going home for a few days this week, where the tickets are still $6. Totally down to give it a look for prices like that.

Speaking of the X-Men movies, Best Buy currently has the Blu set with the pre-DOFP movies on sale for $30. I got that a week or two ago, which goes well with the Rogue Cut copy that I got for $10 during FYE's Black Friday. I should probably rewatch a couple of these before I go home.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

A good sum up of the Spider-Man deal

Feige apparently stated that he would like Spider-Man to cross-over into the Netflix properties if possible, but it's ultimately Sony's call. Can't say it wouldn't be great to see him show up on Daredevil. I just hope the whole movie/TV business gets settled soon.