Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I thought I read before that Singer was going to leave the franchise again after Apocalypse, but I can't find any proof of that anymore. I'm not an Apocalypse fan either, so I can buy that he didn't put his all into this one.

But you'd think that with all he's done for the franchise, he wouldn't be forced to use a character he didn't want to like this. I know the same thing happened to Sam Raimi with Venom, but Singer's done more for the X movies by comparison at this point.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

The movie was locked in before Deadpool happened and surprised everybody. Apparently that movie loosened the grip on the franchise. I'd like to think he would have more creative freedom in the next one.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

From what I have come to understand, Bryan Singer has been wanting to do a proper adaptation of the Dark Phoenix Saga, so I definitely believe that he has further interest in continuing on in the franchise beyond Apocalypse.

Spark Of Spirit

A build up to a proper Phoenix Saga this time would be quite cool. Especially since it could potentially have many characters.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

I've heard quite a few people who unironically want an Onslaught movie. Not sure why.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

My only exposure to Onslaught was as the final boss of Marvel Vs. Capcom. Based on that alone I hate him, and will never read a comic featuring him. He's a cheap-ass motherfucker.

Dr. Insomniac

So let's deal with the hard question for these movies: What happens when they eventually reboot the MCU? Like make an Ultimate Marvel Cinematic Universe, I guess. There's only so many C-list and D-list Marvel heroes they have left to adapt before some exec up at Disney decides they want a new Tony Stark. So what do they change? What would they keep? And most of all, what would anybody like us want from a new MCU that the current one doesn't give us?

LumRanmaYasha

Better villains, for one thing.

Really though, so long as they approach the characters from a different angle and don't re-tread the overarching story beats, I feel another MCU would still produce entertaining movies. As the '89 Batman and The Dark Knight Trilogy have shown, there's multiple approaches and stories you can tell using the same character. How they'd build up to an Avengers film and create an entirely new overarching story between the movies would be a difficult challenge, but in the right hands it could still be pulled off. Though, the one-of-a-kind and novel feeling that characterized The Avengers when it first came out wouldn't be there, so I doubt another MCU's version would ever recapture that feeling.

Spark Of Spirit

Allow the TV series to become part of the movies.

gunswordfist

They still have Captain Marvel and Black Panther, Spider-Man's film could boost MCU's popularity and we still have the Thor sequel and GOTG 2 coming. Out of all I listed, that's 3 new MCU movie series, just 2 sequels and only Capt/Miss Marvel is C list. I don't know when a reboot will happen but it won't be from MCU looking like its on its death bed from adapting C and D listers. Especially since the only films like that in the last forever were Ant-Man and GOTG. And C or lower tend to be go to tv, with Daredevil and Punisher being the only exceptions, afaik.

As for what I want when they do reboot, I'd love to see a far bigger cosmic universe with heroes on that level.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 03, 2016, 11:21:17 AM
They still have Captain Marvel and Black Panther, Spider-Man's film could boost MCU's popularity and we still have the Thor sequel and GOTG 2 coming. Out of all I listed, that's 3 new MCU movie series, just 2 sequels and only Capt/Miss Marvel is C list. I don't know when a reboot will happen but it won't be from MCU looking like its on its death bed from adapting C and D listers. Especially since the only films like that in the last forever were Ant-Man and GOTG. And C or lower tend to be go to tv, with Daredevil and Punisher being the only exceptions, afaik.
Phase 3 is probably going to be awesome. The question was more angled to an eventuality than for the near future.

Personally, I think the lack of strong villains (even though the Netflix shows and Civil War have had awesome ones) and the Netflix shows not crossing over have been the biggest weak points. There was really no reason Peter Parker couldn't have mentioned a Devil in Hell's Kitchen that inspired him to be a superhero. Locking them out of the movies is counterproductive and against what the MCU is supposed to be.

That said, an MCU reboot would be incredibly hard considering how strong this current one is.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Why even entertain the notion of a reboot right now? The MCU is going really strong as it is, and I don't see it letting up any time soon. Just like Desensitized said, there only major problem right now is not letting their Netflix shows crossover with their movies. Having Wilson Fisk appear in the next Spider-Man movie would actually give us a villain that we already know is great.

If any Universe could use a reboot right now, it's DC. Fuck whatever irreparable damage Snyder did to Batman and Superman, and instead start fresh and new with a much more appropriate vision for the characters and story-lines. And maybe even get one up on Marvel by setting it up so that the good CW shows like Arrow and The Flash can actually crossover with the movie characters. Not to knock Ezra Mller in any way, but I'm already perfectly happy with Grant Gustin's portrayal of Barry Allen, and I believe that most people in general are as well. I don't need to see another take on the same character if they have already been done about as good as they possibly can be.

gunswordfist

I agree, the lack of tv show crossover and good villains are MCU's weak points. I say the villains are the biggest problem since Netflix Marvel did just start last year so it's actually understandable why Kingpin, Punisher and Daredevil have yet to show up. Unlike DC, it doesn't seem impossible, it just looks like tv shooting schedules are delaying it, with Punisher looking like the one who'll be the most tied up by them now. But you all knew that, I just like ranting :blush:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Peanutbutter

Agent Carter's show is at least fitted in a bit thanks to her appearances in Captain America 2 and Ant-Man. I have a feeling if Agents of Shield didn't end up royally sucking they'd have done some references to it by now. I think between that and what Gunswordfist said are the reasons why the Netflix shows haven't crossed yet. They have at least mentioned the movies events in Netflix, and to be fair they could just be bidding time. At least there's a lot of rumors that Kingpin will appear in Spider-Man. Hopefully that happens.

Avaitor

I caught Apocalypse tonight, and yeah, it's kind of a mess. Actually, it's kind of really a mess. The horsemen's roles weren't defined nor, outside of Magneto, were their motives. Moira had no need to be there at all, just as Xavier felt surprisingly underutilized here, almost as much as Apocalypse himself, whose motive was also thin. The continuity is a mess, but I guess with such a big time traveling mess in DOFP, the timeline is allowed to be a little screwed up. And I felt that Magneto's side story could have held a stronger movie, as well as the time Cyclops, Jean and Nightcrawler had.

But I still enjoyed it well enough. There were some good moments all around, and like I mentioned, I do like the younger mutants here. This is definitely Singer's weakest X-Men film, but he's allowed to have a lesser entry.

You know, the original and new casts have the same level of consistency, in that they have a solid, but not-too-impressive debut, a killer second act, and a weaker third. The Wolverine movies seem to have messed with that, by having a weak first and a solid but far from A-tier sequel. This makes me excited for the next one. I wouldn't be surprised if the Deadpool movies follow the X-Men flick's trajectories.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/