Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Good news, everyone. The Weasel is probably innocent of his crimes against children.

Quote"There's a lot of people in prison for crimes they didn't commit," Gunn said with a laugh. "Don't you think that if there were 27 [dead] kids and Weasel was living on the block, that you're going to blame Weasel. Is he guilty? I think it's a Project Innocence situation for Weasel and he deserves to really have the legal team that he probably did not have the first time through. I mean, he is one step above a Greyhound, if that, when it comes to his brain capacity."

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on August 09, 2021, 06:05:35 PMI can't believe WB was willing to fund a $185 million Troma film with DC characters but I'm so glad they did. Everything about it was seriously on point, probably the most I've enjoyed a film since John Wick 3. I need more immediately (and Guardians 3). No one does it like Gunn.

We do still have a Peacemaker series coming out with several episodes confirmed to be written and directed by Gunn. I'll admit, I was skeptical of this (as much as I trust Gunn as a creator) but I was genuinely, unironically impressed by how well John Cena pulled off that role. This is the second time that Gunn has taken a former WWE superstar (or I guess technically current, but as a part-timer), known for wooden acting and actually managed to bring a lot of personality out of them. I am still unsure if he can be a lead character, but I'm definitely interested after this movie.

Anyways, I've seen the movie three times now. I still think I prefer the first GotG just a smidge, but this is definitely a top 10 superhero film for me. In general, though, Gunn has been remarkably consistent as a director. I love all of his movies (I warmed up to GotG V2 a LOT over several re-watches), though after his next efforts for Marvel and DC (which I'm genuinely excited for), I would personally love to see him make a return to horror.

Also, I absolutely loved how he cited Where Eagles Dare as a major influence for this movie. The Dirty Dozen was obvious (and those who remember my top films list from about a decade back might remember that I had that movie listed fairly high), but I remember my dad showing me Where Eagles Dare (we used to watch a ton of films together when we both had way more free time) and lamenting how few people ever brought it up in modern discussion. It was one of his favorites growing up, and of course I loved it too, so it was super cathartic to see Gunn bring it up in an interview and also acknowledge that everyone forgets about that movie when discussing the classics.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 09, 2021, 07:54:26 PM
I would personally love to see him make a return to horror.
As long as he's actually the director this time and not just in a producer role. It was so disappointing when they were hyping his big horror project Brightburn, and then it turned out he wasn't directing or writing it, and the end result was just another "What if Superman... but evil?!" plot.

Foggle

Too early to say but this might actually be my favorite Gunn movie, though I love all of his work a lot, especially Slither. I actually like Guardians 2 more than the first one, which I know is an unpopular opinion, but I was really into the humor and messier storytelling style. The plot did a lot for me as well.

John Cena was genuinely fantastic. All of the acting was great. Can't even pick a favorite or least favorite out of the cast/characters, everyone was a stand out in some way, even the ones who died almost immediately.

Dr. Insomniac

I was expecting Capaldi to be my favorite, but even though he did a good job too, he wasn't anywhere near that list. Idris Elba did a wonderful job. Kinnaman was so much better here than in the first film. Ratcatcher's actress, Daniela Melchior, was also fucking cool in her role. Even Stallone gargling out two or three words per scene was great.

Foggle

Capaldi felt kind of wasted to me, though he did a great job in the scenes he got. Just a naturally funny guy. He also has one of my favorite lines in the movie ("the answer to that question may not be the one you're expecting" or something similar).

Ratcatcher was definitely one of my favorites, I would absolutely watch a spin-off about her, especially if it meant we got to see more Sebastian. Idris Elba was amazing as always and Margot Robbie has really grown into the Harley role since the awful first movie (where the bad acting probably wasn't her fault), though I'm sad the two characters almost never interacted considering how James Gunn described their relationship. Maybe a bunch of scenes were cut?

I rewatched the original Suicide Squad last week and it was somehow far worse than I remembered. It might honestly be my least favorite superhero/comic book movie of all time. The writing and performances are painful, the editing style and pop song usage are wretched, the story is pointless and completely nonsensical, the constant sexualization of Robbie is embarrassing, the Joker never makes a single joke... god it's fucking bad. All this to say that I can't believe TSS actually made me care about Flag, wow.

Dr. Insomniac

Even if Gunn only knew Capaldi from In the Loop, I was amused by this unintentional callback.

Spoiler

[close]
Before they decided on Bloodsport, some concept art shows they were going to use Slade as one of the leads.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I've been pondering about this since watching and loving The Suicide Squad, and I came up with a list of my 10 favorite superhero movies at this point. To be clear I am specifically talking about this sub-genre of comic books rather than comic book movies themselves, otherwise I'd also have to consider stuff like Oldboy, Snowpiercer, and American Splendor among many other movies in the mix.

I don't even really like doing ranking lists and have largely grown out of that as a lot of times I can't find much value in trying to organize a subjective opinion in such a way. That said, with something as specific as this sub-genre, I think it's a bit easier to try and come up with something of this nature, but honestly don't take it as a matter-of-fact take on my valuing of these movies. It's just the way I'm currently feeling at the moment (though I do genuinely love the movies on here).

10. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker- I know I'm alone on this, but that's what personal opinion is all about. I actually slightly prefer this to Mask of the Phantasm (which just as easily could have made it on here), and even a recent re-watch shows that, at least for me, it still holds up really well. I still don't think that any of DC's DTV animated movies even come close to this or MOTP (though there were a few of the earlier ones that I did at least kind of like).

9. Super- This is the only film on here that isn't actually based off an existing comic book, but I think that also gives it a really fresh perspective on the genre. At one point I might have hade Kick-Ass on here instead, and while the movie version of that story is quite good, Super has just edged it out a bit for me in recent years. Maybe that's partly because I'm on a James Gunn high right now, but I also think that this movie hits me as feeling a little bit more personal in it's execution, which I'm all for.

8. The Dark Knight- While there are a few aspects of Batman Begins that I prefer, this movie still holds up insanely well. I've noticed a bit of a backlash against it in recent years. Maybe part of that is because some people are sick of Nolan, or because it's less overtly comic-booky than it's peers, or maybe because some angry Zack Snyder fanboys hate literally any interpretation of DC characters that isn't by him. Whatever the reason, this movie works because it presents an interpretation of the character that still gets the core of what makes Batman and his mythos so compelling at it's core. I also just really kind of miss how this movie put so much emphasis on practical effects in a way that almost feels like a lost art in the genre today (and with modern blockbusters in general).

7. The Suicide Squad- Maybe it's too early to put it on here, but this is about how I'm feeling right now, and after watching it three times in a row I can't help but just fall in love with it and these characters each time I see it. I notice more details and nuances on each viewing, and James Gunn's sensibilities just gel so well with what I love about these kinds of movies, both aesthetically and on an emotional level. I don't know what else to say.

6. Guardians of the Galaxy- For pretty much the same reasons as above. I will say that I initially didn't like Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, and then warmed up to it bit by bit, and now I love it almost as much as the first movie. I actually considered putting it on here over this one. I'd argue that it has higher highs, but I still ultimately give Vol. 1 a slight edge because it also still works incredibly well on an emotional level while feeling like an overall more consistent film. With Guardians Vol. 2, I love a lot of it, but there are still weaker parts of the movie for me that hold it back just a little bit.

5. X-Men: First Class- This is a movie that I really liked when I first watched it and has only improved with each viewing. I actually think it's a tad underrated, even though many people were calling it overhyped (ironically enough) when it came out. Aside from having pretty excellent performances, at it's core this is a story about a friendship and bond forming between two people with distinctly opposing ideologies, and the ultimate tragedy of that eventually driving them apart. I love the strong use of theming in this film, as well as the period-piece set-up. While the side characters are admittedly the weakest aspect of it, I honestly can't say it really bothers me as the movie knows to put most of it's focus on the few that really matter to the story and messages that it is going for, and I think on that level it exceeds far better than I initially realized. Everything from the directing and dialogue choices to the tight pacing and well-realized structure of the story-telling is incredibly top-notch. Again, it works for me because ultimately it feels like there is a stronger emotional core to this movie than any other movie in the franchise, which is always that I gravitate towards.

4. Captain America: The First Avenger- I've said for a long time that this is my favorite MCU movie, and I know I'm maybe one of the few people who has that opinion. That said, I've continued to feel that way for the entire decade since I've seen it, and I ultimately just have to stick to my gut feelings. I get that it doesn't leave much of an impression on most people, and that's fine. For me, though, it encapsulates a lot of the unironic charm and youthful innocence of golden age style superhero stories, and that's just so refreshing to me. I'm kind of sick of the extremely cynical take on superheroes that we see so often these days (most prevalently in Zack Snyder films) that is so rarely ever done (even The Boys I would argue got pretty overbearing in it's cynicism with it's second season). It also helps that I consider this a to bit of a spiritual sequel to The Rocketeer (which spoiler if you look below, I think pretty highly of), but even putting personal opinion aside, I'd actually defend this as being a much put together movie than many people give it credit for. There is actually a stylized nature to the presentation and use of cinematography that feels rather distinct from most MCU movies both then and now, and the score by Alan Silvestri is actually genuinely great and highly underrated. The MCU, among many other issues (many of which are valid, I will fully admit to), does get fairly criticized for it's relatively weak use original scores by it's various composers and how much of it comes off as forgettable background noise. I think that this is a clear exception to the status quo, and much of the music helps elevate the movie in key scenes and it gels perfectly with the tone that the movie is going for. Also, while there is some admittedly wonky CG in the mix, I would again like to point out that there is a substantial amount of excellently handled practical costumes, sets, and effects in this movie. Something that really adds to the aesthetic, and that very aesthetic has so much character to it, in and of itself. I love this movie, and make no apologies for it. Also, it's another case of the rare period-piece superhero movie, which I wish we could get more of.

3. Spider-Man 2- This is another movie that I initially didn't love as much as I do now. I know it's actually quite a popular choice, but these days I can completely see why. As my appreciation for film as an artform has grown, as well as my love of Sam Raimi's uniquely bizarre directing style, I have really come to love just how well-realized his vision is. I'll admit that this is not necessarily my favorite version of Peter Parker as a character (that would probably still go to The Spectacular Spider-Man), but I have really come to appreciate Maguire's portrayal as it's own unique interpretation (much like Bale's take on Bruce Wayne/Batman in the Nolan films) and within the context of Raimi's movies, this version of Peter Parker/Spider-Man completely works with the context of these films. This series in general is clearly going for an aesthetic meant to evoke much of the feeling of the Lee/Ditko 1960's era of the character and his stories, and it's insanely well realized here. Everything from the cheese to the sincerity of the characters and dialogue is 100% intentional in that regard. In specific regard to the second film, though, like with all other choices on my list, there is a strong emotional undercurrent at the core of this movie. Much like with Nolan's Batman, even if this is not the most comics-accurate portrayal of the character, I would argue that it honors the core values of the character far better than any live-action adaptation has so far. The first movie presented the idea of the iconic phrase: "With great power comes great responsibility." To me, Spider-Man 2's very theme is an exploration of the meaning of that phrase, and it pulls it off to perfection. This is another movie that improves for me more and more with each re-watch in that regard.

2. The Rocketeer- So, I'll level with you here, this is 100% pure personal taste and bias. There are tons of objectively better shot, written, edited, scored, and directed films within this genre. That is why I must stress that this is all just my subjective opinion. That said, I adore this movie. I saw another reviewer put it best when talking about this movie in a video analyzing the story-telling values of Joe Johnston, which is essentially that there is an earnestness and genuine belief in the old-time values that this movie presents. It is very much an homage to golden-age era comic books as well as World War II-era movies that presented those core values. Obviously most movies today, and even of the time The Rocketeer originally came out, tend to have a fair critique of the skewed perspective of those old stories (many of which were willfully ignorant to many of the real issues going on at the time), and there is a fair amount of cynicism to it. At best, a some movie will still honor that sort of tone while simultaneously poking fun at it. However, I do think there is still a value to a movie removing itself enough from reality and genuinely embracing the concept of good-natured people rising up to do the right thing, without that cynical edge it. This is where I think execution is everything, and I can't help but feel like Johnston actually manages to pull off this tone in a way that completely works for the story he is telling, and even gives it a charm that makes it feel so memorable to me. Again, this is all something that just hits me personally, but from beginning to end the movie puts a smile on my face and brings out everything that made me fall in love with superheroes as a kid. I think this is elevated by, again, much like with Captain America: The First Avenger, a great use of well-realized practical sets, costumes, and props, along with a very suitable score that fits the tone of the movie. The result is something that feels utterly unique and has never even come close to being replicated (with with the aforementioned CA movie being it's spiritual sequel in many ways). To me it's a rare, unironic expression of a character with a genuine sense of goodness about him using a rocket pack created by Howard Hughes to go up against Nazis and an evil movie star. That shit is right up my alley, and I don't know any better way to describe it than that.

1. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse- So, I've already talked about this film at length before, and I'm also tired so I'll actually keep this last one brief. Firstly, I love animation, and differing animation styles, and this movie manages to capture that feeling despite it being computer animated. On-top of that, it uses animation to accurately depict the feeling of watching a comic book in motion. That explains how it is aesthetically pleasing in a way that a live-action comic book interpretation simply can't be, no matter how well executed it is. On the core level of what the movie is actually about, it it excels in all the of the ways that any of the previous movies on this list do, but manages to somehow take things even further. It is unapologetically bonkers in it's ambition, and actually managed to introduce general audiences to the concept of a multiverse well before it became the popular hot topic that it has now with the MCU. You can also add in that I already love Spider-Man as a character, but the movie actually does the added task of making Miles Morales an iconic and fully realized character in his own right, in a way that the original comic book run just wasn't able to achieve, IMO. Every single character that makes up the rest of the ensemble is memorable to me, and as I've already stated a bunch of times by now, the movie ultimately encompasses what I love about superheroes beneath the surface. It has themes and scenes that feel personal and emotional, and in this case it's how it can combine that with the comic book style and aesthetic that only animation can provide which helps elevate this movie into something that is uniquely it's own and specifically appeals to all of my sensibilities. And yes, I do know that I had another animated movie on this list, but it was still ultimately a somewhat compromised animation style for obvious reasons. This movie really does prove to me that the style and execution can count just as much as the substance, as the very use of that presentation can significantly enhance every aspect of what the story being told is trying to explore and going for. I have re-watched this movie countless times by now, and it is still just as exciting for me every single time I watch it.

And that's pretty much my thoughts up to this point. Obviously like always there are things that will be subject to change based on how my feelings change over time, and there were a ton of other movies that I had a difficult time leaving out, but this best reflects how I feel and what I most value in the sub-genre these days.

Also, let's get this out of the way:

Honorable Mention: Logan- Basically consider this the number 11 pick. Believe me, it was really hard picking what to leave out but ultimately it had to reflect my honest current opinion. While I love this movie, I haven't had quite as much desire to revisit it as I have for the other ones on my list. I still think it's pretty excellent, and it shows you how far the genre has come that something as good as this could even rank below the number 10 spot. If I had more time and was willing to list more movies, I'd have a lot more picks in general, but essentially the movies I went with were the ones that have some personal weight and meaning to me. They aren't objectively the best by any means (again, The Rocketeer is 100% personal bias on my part), but they are movies that really make me feel something and that's what ultimately counts, I believe. Oh, and yes, the Deadpool movies, Shazam!, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and a bunch of other obvious choices would be on here as well if it were a longer list.

LumRanmaYasha

Great list! I haven't seen Super or Rocketeer yet, but I'll definitely have to check them out later. Everything else I agree are great flicks and among the best in the superhero genre. Spider-Verse is definitely my top favorite as well, for.a lot of the reasons you've mentioned!

Dr. Insomniac

I have no idea why I haven't seen Super yet, since it has a director and actors I like. I think years ago, someone told me it was a shitty Kick-Ass knockoff so I bailed on it. Don't remember why I believed them.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: LumRanmaYasha on August 13, 2021, 09:33:05 PMGreat list! I haven't seen Super or Rocketeer yet, but I'll definitely have to check them out later. Everything else I agree are great flicks and among the best in the superhero genre. Spider-Verse is definitely my top favorite as well, for.a lot of the reasons you've mentioned!

Thanks! Super isn't for everyone but it really works as a darkly comedic drama about a psychologically scarred man taking the guise of a superhero in place of dealing with his own mental and emotional issues of loneliness and an inability to connect with others. It's also James Gunn completely unfiltered, which depending on who you are will either work for you or turn you off (I unapologetically love it).

The Rocketeer is definitely a movie that I think only I would rank as high as I do. I have encountered at least a few other people who love it, though, and I do know that it has a cult following of it's own. That said, I don't know if it will work for you as well as it does for me, and I do have to stress that it's not nearly as well made in terms of directing or writing as any other film on my list. It really is the actual feeling that it conveys that ultimately wins me over and makes me rank it as high as I do in how it appeals to me personally. That said, I think this video does a pretty great job of explaining the movie's strengths, as well as touching on some of it's flaws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZtF4V9jgD0

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 13, 2021, 09:40:47 PMI have no idea why I haven't seen Super yet, since it has a director and actors I like. I think years ago, someone told me it was a shitty Kick-Ass knockoff so I bailed on it. Don't remember why I believed them.

To be fair, I was told this and used to believe it as well. I didn't actually watch or even seek out Super until after I saw Guardians of the Galaxy and also realized that James Gunn was the same guy who directed Slither. It is admittedly very comparable to Kick-Ass (which, as a movie, I do really like), but this one just works for me a bit better.

LumRanmaYasha

I love Gunn's style and sensibilities so hearing he's unfiltered in Super definitely makes it sound right up my alley! And I've actually heard a lot of good things about The Rocketeer over the years, so it's always been a film I've been keen to watch sometime. And I actually really love the Royal Ocean Film Society's video essays so I'll definitely check out their piece on the film!

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 13, 2021, 09:46:51 PM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 13, 2021, 09:40:47 PMI have no idea why I haven't seen Super yet, since it has a director and actors I like. I think years ago, someone told me it was a shitty Kick-Ass knockoff so I bailed on it. Don't remember why I believed them.

To be fair, I was told this and used to believe it as well. I didn't actually watch or even seek out Super until after I saw Guardians of the Galaxy and also realized that James Gunn was the same guy who directed Slither. It is admittedly very comparable to Kick-Ass (which, as a movie, I do really like), but this one just works for me a bit better.
I think it was also because the trailer didn't enthuse me at the time, thinking "It's just Dwight from The Office and Elliot Page playing their usual bits? Meh." Granted, this was back when I only knew James Gunn for three things: writing a couple Scooby-Doo movies, being Jenna Fischer's ex-husband, and Gunn's namesake in Angel.

Dr. Insomniac

It just dawned on me Keaton, Affleck, and Pattinson are all playing Batman next year, while Bale's the odd man out doing a Marvel movie. Feels like if back when all the Bond actors were alive, Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, and Craig had a 007 teamup, while Brosnan was doing something completely different like another Mamma Mia sequel.

Anyway, I watched Super, and I loved it. Loved watching Elliot Page go psycho as Boltie. Loved the aesthetic in the fight scenes. Loved the Bibleman parody with Nathan Fillion.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Page was particularly excellent in this movie as Frank's psychotic sidekick. I love the subversion of the film first presenting her as a quirky side character that will be a friend that Frank desperately needs to battle his depression and psychological fantasies that lead him to dressing up like a superhero, and then find out that she is in an even worse extreme of that mental state than he is.

And I also love Michael Rooker's character in this movie. He's legitimately threatening while also having a couple of the funniest moments in the film as well.