Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Foggle on August 29, 2012, 12:38:56 AM
So while we're on the subject of Batman films, how would you guys rank the movies? Include whichever ones you've seen. As for me:

1. The Dark Knight Rises (one of my all-time favorites, for now anyway)
2. The Dark Knight (amazing performances and everything else, but it didn't give me as much of an erection as Rises did)
3. Batman Returns (this film is absolutely brilliant in its surreal zaniness)
4. Batman: The Movie (fuck off, this movie and its corresponding TV show are HILARIOUS)
5. Batman (dat Nicholson)
6. Batman Begins (definitely fantastic, but I can't say that I prefer it to any of the above)
7. Batman & Robin (it's terrible, but much like The Room, it's a lot of fun to watch with friends)
8. Batman Forever (this one is just bad)
9. The Death Of Batman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUAXIMoZuBM)
What about Holy Musical B@man?

Foggle

Hmm... 5.5 for that one. I still need to finish watching Act 2. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow.

Oh, and
8.5. Catwoman (lol)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

For me its:

1. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
2. The Dark Knight
3. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
4. Batman (1989)
5. The Dark Knight Rises
6. Batman Begins
7. Batman: Year One
8. Batman Returns
9. Batman: Under the Red Hood
10. Batman: Sub-Zero
11. Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman
12. Batman Forever
13. Batman and Robin

I've never seen the Adam West Batman movie, so I have no comment on that one.

Anyways, I consider everything up to #6 on my list to be genuinely good movies, while #7 is a guilty pleasure of mine. As for #'s 8-11, I just don't like any of them, personally.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

And being that this is the comic book movie thread, here are my top 10 favorite superhero movies (that were actually adapted from some comic book source material, so I'm not counting Batman Beyond in this specific list) in general:

1. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
2. The Dark Knight
3. The Avengers
4. Captain America: The First Avenger
5. X2: X-Men United
6. X-Men: First Class
7. Iron Man
8. Batman (1989)
9. The Dark Knight Rises
10. Thor

Honorable Mentions: The first 2 Superman movies, the first X-Men movie, Sam Raimi's Spider-Man movies (even though I'm the only one here who likes them, especially if you count the 3rd one)

Guilty Pleasures: Batman Returns, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (none of them are good movies, especially the latter 2, and oddly enough I never liked BR or FF2 first time I watched either of them, but re-runs of both as well as Wolverine between various movie channels has somehow gotten me to grow oddly fond of them over time, despite how much they suck)

Foggle

Oh, if we're including animated movies, then Mask of the Phantasm would be my number 1 as well, probably. Definitely in my top 3, at least. It's been forever since I've seen any of the others, though I do remember not liking Mystery of the Batwoman much.

I still say that Batman Returns is a legitimately good movie; as a really weird dark comedy, it's fantastic. The Adam West film is also genuinely good IMO, since it sets out to be a parody of Batman and succeeds almost perfectly.

Avaitor

I still need to watch Rises and rewatch the Burton movies.

Right now, I'd put MOTP and ROTJ at my top 2, with TDK just under them.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

For me those 3 movies are pretty interchangeable. I considered tying BB with MOTP at one point, but I wanted to rank a definitive best, and then I was going to put BB ad the #2 spot but for whatever reason I convinced myself to give that spot to TDK and keep BB and #3, but either way, all 3 are top-calibur Batman films, IMO. There is a huge jump in quality between #4 on my list (which is still really good, IMO) and the top 3 that I have ranked up there.

Avaitor

And if I had to do my top 10 favorite comic book movies atm, I'd probably go with

1- The Avengers (yeah, yeah, still on a high)
2- Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
3- X2: X-Men United
4- Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
5- The Dark Knight

Eh, I'll just do a top 5 for now.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, if we were ranking comic book movies instead of just superhero movies, my list would be slightly different, but admittedly it'd still comprise mostly of superhero flicks.

Also, Avaitor's post reminds me that I still need to finish reading Scott Pilgrim and also watch the movie.

Dr. Insomniac

1. Oldboy
2. Persepolis
3. The Dark Knight
4. Adventures of Tintin
5. Scott Pilgrim vs the World

Foggle

1. Cemetery Man
2. Oldboy
3. Ichi The Killer
4. The Dark Knight Rises
5. Kick-Ass

gunswordfist

1. The Dark Knight
2. Mask Of The Phantasm
3. Return Of The Joker
4. Batman Begins
5. Batman
6. The Dark Knight Rises
7. Freeze animated movie (haven't seen it all)
8. Batman/Superman TAS movie
9. Mystery Of Batwoman

And I don't really remember any of the old Batman sequels.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 29, 2012, 02:43:23 PM

I would have ranked that but the reason I didn't is because technically it isn't a movie. Its officially recorded as a 3-parter for season 2 of Superman: TAS (even though it obviously has higher production values than the rest of the show and was originally released in a DTV movie format before airing in individual episodes on TV). That said, its still a technicality which is why I couldn't rank it. If I could, though, I'd say that it'd be right in-between TDKR and Batman Begins, for me.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

BTW, I just updated my list with the DTV Batman movies: Year One and Under the Red Hood. I totally forgot that I've seen either of them (which is kind of because I found both to be entertaining but ultimately kind of forgettable), which is why I didn't initially rank them. I consider Batman: Year One to be kind of interesting (though I haven't read the original comic which I'm sure is miles better) but way too short to reach its full potential. As for Under the Red Hood, its really not that interesting (I would have been more interested in seeing a movie leading up to the death of Robin rather than one about his resurrection), but I still ranked it ahead of Sub-Zero and Mystery of the Batwoman because it at least had good animation and great action scenes (IMO).

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 29, 2012, 03:08:11 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on August 29, 2012, 02:43:23 PM

I would have ranked that but the reason I didn't is because technically it isn't a movie. Its officially recorded as a 3-parter for season 2 of Superman: TAS (even though it obviously has higher production values than the rest of the show and was originally released in a DTV movie format before airing in individual episodes on TV). That said, its still a technicality which is why I couldn't rank it. If I could, though, I'd say that it'd be right in-between TDKR and Batman Begins, for me.
I kind of had a feeling it was something like that. It was alright but pretty typical of what you expect a 'fun' Batman/Superman animated adventure to be like. I haven't seen any of the modern animated Batman films (Gotham Knights doesn't count and even then I only like 2 or 3 of the shorts.)
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 29, 2012, 03:17:25 PM
BTW, I just updated my list with the DTV Batman movies: Year One and Under the Red Hood. I totally forgot that I've seen either of them (which is kind of because I found both to be entertaining but ultimately kind of forgettable), which is why I didn't initially rank them. I consider Batman: Year One to be kind of interesting (though I haven't read the original comic which I'm sure is miles better) but way too short to reach its full potential. As for Under the Red Hood, its really not that interesting (I would have been more interested in seeing a movie leading up to the death of Robin rather than one about his resurrection), but I still ranked it ahead of Sub-Zero and Mystery of the Batwoman because it at least had good animation and great action scenes (IMO).
Year One is really short. I think like slightly longer than The Killing Joke so it would make sense for it to not be that long because at the end of the comic I personally got the feeling 'Ummm, is there going to be something after this? ???'
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody