Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

The only way I can say it is that it just doesn't resonate or connect with me on any level. I thought it was cute at first, but once I got to reading the last book I just didn't really care anymore.

Still it isn't as bad as when Adventureland came out and Old Guy went around saying it would appeal to "Our Generation"... the film sucked.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on August 29, 2012, 05:46:49 PM
I still don't understand how anyone who enjoys video games, comics and nerd culture in general can't love Scott Pilgrim. It's one of the few pieces of work where pop culture references make the whole thing, and don't detract from anything.
Because I didn't find it funny, I didn't like the characters, and I didn't find the story or action engaging. :P

gunswordfist

I still don't understand how anyone who enjoys video games, comics and nerd culture in general can't love Scott Pilgrim. It's one of the few pieces of work where pop culture references make the whole thing, and don't detract from anything.
Some of the people on your site are stupid.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Foggle on August 29, 2012, 05:53:43 PM
Because I didn't find it funny, I didn't like the characters, and I didn't find the story or action engaging. :P
Not even Wallace?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 29, 2012, 05:53:29 PM
I liked Adventureland. :(
I dunno, I just sat there and watched the film and... it ended. I didn't really get anything out of it. I sort of felt the same way about the Royal Tenenbaums... and I KNOW someone here loves that film so I won't go any further.  :P
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 29, 2012, 05:54:09 PM
Some of the people on your site are stupid.
Yes, anyone who prefers Batman Begins to The Dark Knight Rises must be mentally handicapped in some way. :awesome:

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 29, 2012, 05:54:43 PM
Not even Wallace?
Well, I didn't find the movie to be devoid of humor or excitement. I'd give it a solid 6/10 all told. If Wallace is who I think he is, he had some pretty great moments.

Avaitor

Well I know you're talking about me with Royal Tenenbaums, and honestly, that's how I feel about Rushmore. That had some good ideas, but when you look back on it, it totally meant nothing.

With TRT, I'll admit that it's not everyone's cup of tea, and it wasn't much of a favorite on my first viewing either, but I think it tackles all of Anderson's daddy issues very well with the Tenenbaum kids.

Quote from: Foggle on August 29, 2012, 05:57:47 PM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 29, 2012, 05:54:43 PM
Not even Wallace?
Well, I didn't find the movie to be devoid of humor or excitement. I'd give it a solid 6/10 all told. If Wallace is who I think he is, he had some pretty great moments.
Wallace is the gay guy, and honestly, as much as I enjoy the SP movie, there are really only 2 characters and performances who really impressed me in it. Wallace was indeed one, and Scott's sister Stacy was surprisingly the other.

There really is a LOT of problems in the film, which is what happens when you try to condense a 6-book graphic novel series into less than 2 hours. At least give the GNs a chance though, since the movie cuts out a lot of development and most of its best references.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

Official release date for Ant-Man, as of now- November 6, 2015

A long way's away, but at least we have a date now.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

New blog!

gunswordfist

Avaitor

A lot of people are reminded of the trailer for TDKR here, and I can see where they're coming from.

It does look quite promising though. I'm totally hoping for a 180 over Iron Man 2 here.

New blog!

gunswordfist

It certainly looks like it'll have a different tone than IM2 did.

Theory time! OK, comicvine spotted a Captain America tattoo (a blue and red shield with an A in the middle) on the back of The Mandarin's neck when he is about to put on his hood in the trailer. My theory is Capt. is in the movie, The Mandarin defeats him, thinks he is dead and puts on a tattoo to show off that he got that 'kill'. Think Mr. Zsasz and his tallies marks on his body...or a better example than that. :D

Silverstar

I haven't been disappointed by any of the Iron Man movies so far, but the Dark Knight Rises vibe I got from the trailer concerns me. I hope this film isn't too dark. One of the things I liked about the Iron Man movies is that (so far) they haven't crossed into grimdark territory. I understand Tony's been through a lot, but I hope he doesn't lose his trademark cockiness and ego, and the movie doesn't lose its' trademark humor. If I want to see grimdark, I'll watch a Batman movie.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Avaitor

It's possible that we got the darkest material of the movie in this film, and the rest of the film is similar in tone to the first two Iron Man movies, with only some extra darkness to shake things up.

That, or since RDJ has stated before that he thinks that he might be too old to continue playing the role, they might just go all out in here in case this is his last solo Iron Man movie.

New blog!