Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 21, 2013, 10:42:19 PM
Still, The Avengers is my third favorite in the Marvel movie canon, and Captain America is my fourth favorite. My top two is a tie between Iron Man and Iron Man 3, which was a big surprise and way better than Iron Man 2.

I need to re-watch Iron Man 3 before I can rank it anywhere. My basis of saying that the Iron Man movies are a bit overrated, though, is because I feel that aside from Robert Downey Jr.'s stellar performance as Tony Stark....there honestly really isn't too much more to these movies if you really think about it. The villains are OK, but ultimately forgettable, the action scenes are far from the best I've seen in a superhero film, and the other characters are entertaining but also ultimately all fall under the shadow of Robert Downey Jr.'s performance, which is both a credit to him as well as a weakness to the films as a whole, for me.

I really liked Captain America because you get to see a full character arc with Steve Rogers, the other characters are memorable (even the doctor who dies early on), and while Red Skull isn't exactly the most memorable villain, I feel that he comes off as really entertaining as the insanely egotistical leader of Hydra who is just the perfect guy to get his ass kicked by the Captain. I also think that this movie has a heart to it that the other Avengers line of movies aside from The Avengers itself sort of lack. Also, while Robert Downey Jr. is clearly a better actor than Chris Evans, I still have to give Evans credit for doing a great job in his own right as the Captain, and on that end I find Captain America to be a much more likable character than Tony Stark/Iron Man (at least as far as the films go). I'm aware that Stark is supposed to come off as being sort of a douche, but I still prefer my characters genuinely likable yet simultaneously bad-ass when they need to be.

Dr. Insomniac

But guysss, the Marvel movies are clearly pieces of establishment propaganda coldly calculated to get the most money out of the fanboy and manchild demographic by making movies that aren't deep enough for my unique and totally not conceited psyche! >:(

So... Ultron. Yeah. Would've appreciated Thanos, but meh.

Silverstar

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on July 22, 2013, 05:31:49 AMSo... Ultron. Yeah. Would've appreciated Thanos, but meh.

According to the guys behind the MCU, Thanos is too big a Bad to show up so soon. He has to be gradually built up to. They're saving him for Avengers 3, I believe.

It's going to be weird having an Ultron story without Hank Pym, not that I'm a huge Henry Pym fan, but he is Ultron's creator. My guess is the filmmakers will make Ultron a creation of S.H.I.E.L.D. or Stark Indsutries.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 21, 2013, 11:50:31 PM
I really liked Captain America because you get to see a full character arc with Steve Rogers, the other characters are memorable (even the doctor who dies early on), and while Red Skull isn't exactly the most memorable villain, I feel that he comes off as really entertaining as the insanely egotistical leader of Hydra who is just the perfect guy to get his ass kicked by the Captain. I also think that this movie has a heart to it that the other Avengers line of movies aside from The Avengers itself sort of lack. Also, while Robert Downey Jr. is clearly a better actor than Chris Evans, I still have to give Evans credit for doing a great job in his own right as the Captain, and on that end I find Captain America to be a much more likable character than Tony Stark/Iron Man (at least as far as the films go). I'm aware that Stark is supposed to come off as being sort of a douche, but I still prefer my characters genuinely likable yet simultaneously bad-ass when they need to be.
This is pretty why I think Captain America is the best Marvel movie, and possibly the best comic movie.

Quote from: Silverstar on July 22, 2013, 07:36:45 AM
Ultron story without Hank Pym
I anyone needs me, I'll be in the angry dome.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 21, 2013, 11:50:31 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 21, 2013, 10:42:19 PM
Still, The Avengers is my third favorite in the Marvel movie canon, and Captain America is my fourth favorite. My top two is a tie between Iron Man and Iron Man 3, which was a big surprise and way better than Iron Man 2.

I need to re-watch Iron Man 3 before I can rank it anywhere. My basis of saying that the Iron Man movies are a bit overrated, though, is because I feel that aside from Robert Downey Jr.'s stellar performance as Tony Stark....there honestly really isn't too much more to these movies if you really think about it. The villains are OK, but ultimately forgettable, the action scenes are far from the best I've seen in a superhero film, and the other characters are entertaining but also ultimately all fall under the shadow of Robert Downey Jr.'s performance, which is both a credit to him as well as a weakness to the films as a whole, for me.

I really liked Captain America because you get to see a full character arc with Steve Rogers, the other characters are memorable (even the doctor who dies early on), and while Red Skull isn't exactly the most memorable villain, I feel that he comes off as really entertaining as the insanely egotistical leader of Hydra who is just the perfect guy to get his ass kicked by the Captain. I also think that this movie has a heart to it that the other Avengers line of movies aside from The Avengers itself sort of lack. Also, while Robert Downey Jr. is clearly a better actor than Chris Evans, I still have to give Evans credit for doing a great job in his own right as the Captain, and on that end I find Captain America to be a much more likable character than Tony Stark/Iron Man (at least as far as the films go). I'm aware that Starkd is supposed to come off as being sort of a douche, but I still prefer my characters genuinely likable yet simultaneously bad-ass when they need to be.

I can agree that Iron Man is very much Robert Downey's film. It's really his charisma that carries it, but I liked the story and other characters still. Captain America gets more development than tony does over three films, but I just really liked Tony's character.

Now the reason I liked Iron Man 3 so much is because I think it really pushed more storytelling into Iron Man. I also think it gave Robert Downey Jr. more room to show dramatic acting. And it didn't feel like it needed to resort to cheap crowd pleasers in the way Iron Man 2 did. I might kind of like it better than the first film.

Avaitor

I'm just happy at Age of Ultron isn't adapting the titular storyline at all.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

I'm still not quite sure why they can't just have a reference to Hank Pym somewhere in there.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 22, 2013, 02:10:52 PM
I'm still not quite sure why they can't just have a reference to Hank Pym somewhere in there.
"So what happened to the guy who made this robot?"
"Got arrested for spousal abuse."

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on July 22, 2013, 02:15:27 PM
That's what I'm saying!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Silverstar

Pym may be referenced somewhere in Avengers 2, he's just not going to be featured in it. Though there is an Ant-Man film said to be in the works.

Also, according to the press release I read, Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye) is supposed to have a larger role in A2 to make up for his comparatively minimal screen time in the first movie.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 22, 2013, 02:16:17 PM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on July 22, 2013, 02:15:27 PM
That's what I'm saying!
Or something about shrinkage...

The Shadow Gentleman

Really though, the whole reason Ultron is interesting is because of the of relationship he has with Pym.

But I'm not to mad about it. Whedon's done a great job so far, so excluding a less popular character that happens to be one of my favorites isn't something I'm going get to worked up about. At least I get Ant Man.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Silverstar

Quote from: Avaitor on August 22, 2013, 11:13:47 PM
Ben Affleck.

Yup. Ben Affleck is going to be Batman in the upcoming Man of Steel sequel. Of course, people on the interwebz are having their usual shit-fit about this: "Oh, he was Daredevil and that movie sucked!" "They need Christian Bale to pull this off!" etc., etc. For all the people whining about Bale, he said beforehand that he wasn't playing Batman anymore, and The Dark Knight Rises effectively ended Bale's Batman, so those folks need to get over it. And yeah, Affleck played Daredevil, but he didn't write the thing, he just acted in it. Sure, the movie sucked, but it wasn't his fault. I don't exactly see Affleck as Batman, but consider this: Chris Evans annoyed a lot of people as the Human Torch, but he wowed a lot of people as Captain America. Sometimes the right script is all that's needed.

Avaitor

I think it's less of the fact that Bale isn't returning and more of the fact that Affleck has always been a questionable actor at best and is a bit old to start playing Batman now.

As someone who still feels no desire to see Man of Steel and honestly wasn't that pumped when I heard this news, I don't really care, but I see where the criticism is coming from.

New blog!