Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on December 06, 2013, 11:14:33 PM
It's one the most forgettable movies I have ever seen. I mean, Man of Steel was awful, but I at least remember some of it. And I honestly have more interest in seeing its sequel, if only because I'm slightly curious about how Batman and Wonder Woman will be.

It's an OK movie, but I don't agree that it's forgettable, either. I honestly find it to be a better film than SM 2 and 3 (and I overall liked both of those movies).

You can watch your shitty MOS sequel, though. I happen to think the trailer to the 2nd movie looks pretty good, so I'll be checking it out. It might not be great but it at least has my interest for now. That said, I'm still most interested in seeing Captain America 2 and Days of Future Past (both of which look better than any of Marvel's output from this year).

talonmalon333

Wait, the trailer for the Man of Steel sequel is already out? I'll have to look into that.

Also, E-K, I thought I remember you saying that Amazing Spider-Man is one of those movies you tend to forget even exists. :P

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on December 08, 2013, 10:56:32 AM
It's an OK movie, but I don't agree that it's forgettable, either. I honestly find it to be a better film than SM 2 and 3 (and I overall liked both of those movies).
Agreed. :thumbup:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on December 08, 2013, 11:09:18 AM
Wait, the trailer for the Man of Steel sequel is already out? I'll have to look into that.

I was talking about TASM2 trailer.

QuoteAlso, E-K, I thought I remember you saying that Amazing Spider-Man is one of those movies you tend to forget even exists. :P

Talon, I remember you saying that Man of Steel was a good movie. :P

Foggle

I'm still waiting for the Deadpool movie.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on December 08, 2013, 11:18:53 AM
Talon, I remember you saying that Man of Steel was a good movie. :P

I was probably still in the process of trying to articulate my opinion, either that or I was just being generous. But either way, we've already established that my opinions have the ability to change a lot. One of these days, I should make a thread for compiling a list of all my drastically changed opinions over the years.  :D

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on December 08, 2013, 11:18:06 AM
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on December 08, 2013, 10:56:32 AM
Agreed. :thumbup:
Thirded. :thumbup:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Yeah, I don't think I'll ever watch Man of Steel.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Silverstar

I saw Man of Steel. I didn't hate it like a lot of people did, probably because I'm a big Superman and it would take a lot for me to truly hate something Supes-related, but at the same time, all the negative comments about MoS: it was too dark, it was joyless, the plot holes, how the narrative jumped around, the over-abundance of product placement, the massive collateral damage, I did agree with. I didn't hate MoS, but it wasn't what I was expecting or hoping for.

On that note, this upcoming sequel has me concerned. I get that WB is trying to rush Justice League into production, and I don't especially want to wait years to see it, but at the same time, they seem to be rushing things just a bit. They're already sticking Batman into this sequel rather than giving Big Blue another solo film which they could have redeemed themselves with after the first one, and now they've tossed Wonder Woman into the film as well; at first I read that WW's appearance was just going to be a cameo with her as Diana Prince, now they seem to be talking a full-blown appearance as Wondy in lieu of a WW solo movie, which burns my ass. Wonder Woman should get her own movie before she appears with the other heroes; Bats has had 8 live-action movies, Supes has had 6, but Wondy still has 0; the animated movie is the closest she's ever gotten to a solo movie or animated series.

Not only does it seem to be cramming too much into what's supposed to be the MoS sequel, but if they keep squeezing all of these additional characters into the mix (Flash was at one rumored to make a cameo appearance, but I haven't heard any follow-up to that), they might as well just call this movie Justice League.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

talonmalon333

I imagine Justice League will try really hard to one-up The Avengers and will just fail

They really need to get a new director. Under Zack Snyder, this series has no chance.

Silverstar

Even if Justice League does well, it's not going to top The Avengers. That movie was lightning in a bottle, box office numbers like that come along once, maybe twice in a decade or so. Even Avengers 2 won't one-up Avengers.

I'd just like to see Justice League please a majority of moviegoers and make a decent showing for itself. They at least have the advantage that Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman alone are far more iconic than most of Marvel's characters, even people who otherwise know or care jack squat about comic book superheroes know who they are. I'm not optimistic that JL will succeed, but I'm trying to remain hopeful.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on December 08, 2013, 04:53:16 PM
I imagine Justice League will try really hard to one-up The Avengers and will just fail

They really need to get a new director. Under Zack Snyder, this series has no chance.

You're misconceiving the problem, Talon. You can blame Zack Snyder for MOS, but the fact is that, aside from the Nolan Batman trilogy, DC has been churning out horrible movie adaptations for years now. What DC needs to do first of all is to stop trying to copy Marvel so desperately. They should first just focus on trying to establish their heroes by making solid solo movies for each of them. People will pay to see solo superhero movies as long as they're actually well-made. IF they want to do a JL movie that badly, and they are doing it to copy Marvel, then they at least should do it the right way. Marvel took time to build up an established Universe and characters to really make The Avengers feel like a big deal, and that's why it was successful. If DC wants to make an actual good JL movie, they must first actually make good movies leading up to it, and take their time with that process. No matter how desperately DC fans want to see their answer to The Avengers ASAP, the fact is that rushing into a JL movie is going to just lead to a really crappy flick.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on December 08, 2013, 05:51:48 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on December 08, 2013, 04:53:16 PM

You're misconceiving the problem, Talon. You can blame Zack Snyder for MOS, but the fact is that, aside from the Nolan Batman trilogy, DC has been churning out horrible movie adaptations for years now. What DC needs to do first of all is to stop trying to copy Marvel so desperately. They should first just focus on trying to establish their heroes by making solid solo movies for each of them. People will pay to see solo superhero movies as long as they're actually well-made. IF they want to do a JL movie that badly, and they are doing it to copy Marvel, then they at least should do it the right way. Marvel took time to build up an established Universe and characters to really make The Avengers feel like a big deal, and that's why it was successful. If DC wants to make an actual good JL movie, they must first actually make good movies leading up to it, and take their time with that process. No matter how desperately DC fans want to see their answer to The Avengers ASAP, the fact is that rushing into a JL movie is going to just lead to a really crappy flick.

True. The problem here does go beyond Zack Snyder. I just tend to forget many movies as I haven't seen some of them (though I don't think I'm missing much by passing on Catwoman and that Green Lantern movie). In fact, I've lost track of them. But Zack Snyder will just hurt the chances of them getting out of that rut. They need to get some good directors on those DC movies and, as you say, make good solo movies to establish the heroes without rushing them.

The Shadow Gentleman

If I remember correctly, another problem is that DC movies don't have as much creative control as some of the Marvel's. DC doesn't have an equivalent to Marvel Studios yet.

I don't really care if they make a JL movie or not. I just want them to make good solo movies for different characters.

Quote from: gunswordfist on December 05, 2013, 05:55:25 PM
I hope it's Hal. John Stewart is practically more popular with the general public thanks to Justice League and the only good thing Hal has ever really been in outside of the comics is a few recent animated movies. He needs his turn.
Agreed.