Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Hey, I'm all for a movie where two heroes with a great chemistry between each other partner up buddy cop style or go at it against each other. Those can be entertaining and would arguably be even more entertaining team-ups than a full on ensemble cast like in The Avengers. And Tony Stark and Steve Rogers have EXCELLENT chemistry with each other, so I'm sure a movie with them together COULD work....just don't base it off of a storyline that's notoriously despised by many fans, and also don't call it Captain America 3 (or whatever subtitle they want to add), either. If they want to make this pairing movie first and then do the next true solo Cap movie later, then fine, I'll wait. But when I see a movie with Captain America and ONLY Captain America in the title, I expect it to be a follow-up to The Winter Soldier and I want to see Steve's quest to reunite with Bucky. That story doesn't need nor benefit from having Iron Man in it. Cap already has Falcon.

Spark Of Spirit

It just bothers me that they're considering giving RDJ more screen time in a movie that he has no place in. Look, I have no problem with cameos, the one in Thor 2 was clever and fit well, but these solo movies are supposed to be for the heroes themselves. The Avengers movies are the ones for team ups.

Tony Stark has nothing to do with Hydra, the Winter Soldier, the man out of time theme, the more somber atmosphere, or the style of action CA movies use. Sure, you could argue his father does, as the twist when we learn how he really died was interesting, but that's more incidental than anything. The character himself has no place in the final chapter of a trilogy he has yet to be a part of.

Then you throw in Civil War, which has nothing to do with Captain America's history or character development, and you have a huge mess.

I really hope this doesn't go through.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 15, 2014, 12:19:54 AM
It just bothers me that they're considering giving RDJ more screen time in a movie that he has no place in. Look, I have no problem with cameos, the one in Thor 2 was clever and fit well, but these solo movies are supposed to be for the heroes themselves. The Avengers movies are the ones for team ups.

Agreed, though what I meant was that I did see the value in a "pair-up" movie over a "team-up" movie, BUT I don't want that to be in a Captain America movie.

QuoteI really hope this doesn't go through.

The movie is still a LONG way off from its actual filming stages, so these still a chance that this situation can be reversed, but based on what I've heard, Marvel now seems content with the current situation, which I'm not pleased to hear.

Foggle

A Civil War movie (or worse, movie series) would effectively kill the entire MCU for me, and probably a lot of other people as well.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on October 15, 2014, 12:29:51 AM
A Civil War movie (or worse, movie series) would effectively kill the entire MCU for me, and probably a lot of other people as well.
They're planning a remake/revamp/who cares of Civil War in miniseries form apparently to lead up to this.

I'm not sure how considering there currently isn't ANY ROOM for this to happen what with Thor dealing with Loki, Cap dealing with Hydra, The Avengers dealing with Ultron and then Thanos, and the side stuff like Ant-Man and Doctor Strange which would obviously not deal with this either. Add to the fact that nobody wants to hear from Civil War ever again and it's even sillier. Why don't you just make the next X-Men movie based on House of M or Spider-Man based on The Clone Saga while you're at it? It makes about as much sense.

Doing this at all is a bad idea, cramming it into a Captain America movie is even worse.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daikun

WB reveals its DC movie slate for the rest of the decade.

Not a whole lot of Batman. I'm surprised.

Who wants to bet they'll change it up once these movies fail? :>

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I'm not expecting this to pan out. After Man of Steel, I have little to no faith that Zack Snyder can direct a great superhero film, and the problem is that in order for DC's movie lineup plans to go through! it literally completely hinges on the success of the Batman v Superman movie. If that movie isn't a mega hit, then they are pretty much screwed in the cinematic department.

Also, I find it funny that we are probably going to see a live-action version of the Justice League in the TV shows before the movies even come out.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Also, I just realized something:

The plot for Captain America 3, from the sounds of it, is basically Captain America v Iron Man, and that year it's directly competing with Batman v Superman....

....Goddamn-it, Marvel! Really!? :srs:

Dr. Insomniac

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'll just stick with this one, thanks:

Spark Of Spirit

QuoteBatman v Superman: Dawn of Justice [Ben Affleck as Batman, Henry Cavill as Superman] (2016)
No faith in this to be anything above middling.

QuoteSuicide Squad (2016)
Uh, okay? I thought this was going to be a show? Should I just go watch The Expendables instead?

QuoteWonder Woman [Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman] (2017)
Bet it'll be garbage.

QuoteJustice League Part One [Affleck, Cavill, and Amy Adams] (2017)
I'll wait for the TV shows to handle this.

QuoteThe Flash [Ezra Miller as The Flash] (2018)
I'm good with the one pictured above, thanks. There's nothing in film form the show couldn't already do.

QuoteAquaman [Jason Momoa as Aquaman] (2018)
This is going to be embarrassing. I just know it.

QuoteShazam (2019)
This could make a good movie. But considering how they've handled Superman so far, I severely doubt it.

QuoteJustice League Part Two (2019)
Impress me with part one. Then we'll talk.

QuoteCyborg [Ray Fisher as Cyborg] (2020)
A non-sequitur in film form.

QuoteGreen Lantern (2020)
They're already remaking this. *sigh*

Nothing interesting looking to me. How about a Blue Beetle film? Death & Return of Superman trilogy? Something other than a pile of origin stories I already know and team up movies that probably won't beat the team ups we got animated over a decade ago?

Pick up the slack, DC.

gunswordfist

You're kidding? Of course they are going to start with origin stories and do a few reboots. The whole point is starting over. In fact, it's not even really starting over since DC has never really had a movie universe. Whether it'll be good or not is another story. Plus they need to show they can make good movies for the A listers before they get to Blue Beetle or whoever.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Rynnec

Goddammit DC, just make a Deathstroke movie with Ron Pearlman as Slade already.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 16, 2014, 06:28:04 PMYou're kidding? Of course they are going to start with origin stories and do a few reboots. The whole point is starting over. In fact, it's not even really starting over since DC has never really had a movie universe. Whether it'll be good or not is another story. Plus they need to show they can make good movies for the A listers before they get to Blue Beetle or whoever.
They can make the origin stories if they want to. I'm just not wasting money on tickets in order to see the same story adapted to film yet again with minor variations.

Of course, that doesn't apply to less adapted works. But I still have no confidence in DC.

Quote from: Rynnec on October 16, 2014, 07:31:26 PMGoddammit DC, just make a Deathstroke movie with Ron Pearlman as Slade already.
I'm good with what they're doing on Arrow in regards to Deathstroke.

gunswordfist

He looks awful in that show.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody