Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

I didn't truly hate Incredible Hulk or Iron Man 2, but even though they had different reasons for my not liking them, they just felt like uninteresting superhero flicks to me. Ant-Man looks like it'll pan out similarly for me. :(

I know why Edgar Wright left/was kicked off of the project, it just sucks that his stylish direction is nowhere to be seen. This was my most anticipated Marvel film for the longest time purely because of him. :'(

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 13, 2015, 01:51:00 PM
A lot of people have been saying Ant-Man looks boring. Even worse than they say the Fantastic Four film is looking.
Ew. Those people are wrong. F4nt4stic F0ur looks awful.

QuoteThere's nothing wrong with another Peter Parker film. I wouldn't have mind another origin film either.
The origin has been told so many times, though. I've had my fill of Uncle Ben at this point when it comes to live action cinema.

gunswordfist

I don't care. Until they get Peter Parker right they can do the origin story as much as possible. :bleh:

I've seen only a little bit of the footage of Fantastic Four...but I hear Doctor Doom is a blogger so I agree with you anyway.

I wish Edgar Wright did the Deadpool movie and Ryan Reynolds had nothing to do with it but we can't everything we want.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Ryan Reynolds is an awesome Deadpool, though. He nails the voice better than anyone other than Nolan North IMO. He also really cares about the character and is a huge fan of the comics. The film wouldn't exist without him pitching it to Fox and he was the one who pushed for the R rating it eventually got.

Maybe they should worry about getting Peter Parker right first and then maybe do the origin in the second film if this rereboot actually works out. ;)

gunswordfist

I still hate Reynolds.  :oo:

Hell no. I'd settle for no origin over an origin in a 2nd film. I don't want it THAT much. lol

Foggle

I'm just worried that doing the origin again would turn a lot of people off. I mean, I personally wouldn't mind it if the film was good, but a lot of people were already complaining about them re-doing the origin back when Amazing Spider-Man came out. A third time might kill the enthusiasm for many casual fans.

I'm no Ryan Reynolds fan by any means, but his love for Deadpool is infectious. And quite a few of the comic's writers have stated that he'd be perfect for the role.

Dr. Insomniac

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I also mentioned several pages back how Marvel went on record saying that they weren't going to do any more origin stories by phase 3, but I guess nobody on this board actually ever reads anything. :thinkin:

Spark Of Spirit

They should make every Spider-Man movie the origin story.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I'm okay with another Spider-Man reboot, since as much as I like Andrew Garfield in the role, his movies have not lived up to their potential. And I'm fine with Peter Parker, since I honestly still have yet to read a Miles Morales story anyway.

Just don't turn Mary Jane into Gwen or make Peter more interested in his parents than Uncle Ben, please.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

We know there's no origin story. We were speaking hypothetically.

Spark, shutty.

Avaitor, Spider-Man Blue is what showed me that Mary Jane came before Gwen. I had no clue whatsoever before that. That shows you how much attention Gwen has gotten over the years. I'm glad I'm not the only one that liked Garfield as Peter Parker. I wish we could have saw him outside of Parker's sad lonely phase and more of a wise cracking hero myself.

I'm not sure if he meant he wanted Miles to replace him.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just got around to seeing the new Ant-Man trailer. I definitely don't agree that it looks boring. I have some issues with it as well as some stuff that I genuinely like. My biggest problem is that it seems too indecisive about its tone. The best part of the trailer was when they were having an epic fight only for it to zoom out and show us how insignificant it seemed when it resulted in a choo-choo train harmlessly crashing and falling off the toy tracks. Stuff like that feels both creative and fun.

The general story aspects don't feel very compelling, though. We're clearly supposed to take the characters a bit more seriously, but other than maybe Paul Rudd as Scott Lang, I'm not really feeling it from anyone else, especially the villain who, aside from his awesome costume design, looks incredibly generic in terms of his character and motivation, though, to be fair, you could say that for almost every MCU film.

Anyways, it's a trailer and hardly enough to go by. That said, it kind of looks like a mixed bag to me. There's enough stuff that I like to make me want to give the movie a shot, though.

Spark Of Spirit

At the very least it'll probably be better than Iron Man 2. But I find it hard to gauge certain movies by trailers (every Pixar trailer is usually pretty lame, for instance) and being that this is going to be different from the other movies in some way, I don't know if I can say how good it looks from the trailer.

Anyway, it seems like a weird movie to close out phase 2 with.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I watched a trailer but it wasn't much, as in it was short. I think it was the first trailer, idk. I'll have to look into it.

It doesn't seem too weird. I'm sure they wanted this movie to be shown earlier and they are trying to get another key member on the team.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It's worth mentioning that I thought the trailers for Thor were ass, didn't really feel much of anything from the trailers for the first Captain America movie, and whike it's not Marvel, I found The Dark Knight trailers to be painfully underwhelming. Yet I enjoyed the hell out of those movies.

On the other end of the spectrum, I actually really liked the trailer for Kick-Ass 2, and going back quite a few years, I remember how cool The Matrix Reloaded trailer was back in the day. Neither film lived up to my expectations. And don't even get me started on Chappie.

The point being that trailers aren't necessarily the best indicators of how good or bad a movie will actually be. A lot of people don't even realize that trailers aren't even cut by the actual filmmakers. Those are handled entirely by the marketing department.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 13, 2015, 06:59:29 PM
I watched a trailer but it wasn't much, as in it was short. I think it was the first trailer, idk. I'll have to look into it.

It doesn't seem too weird. I'm sure they wanted this movie to be shown earlier and they are trying to get another key member on the team.

There's a new full-length trailer out today. That's what I was referring to.