Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Well then that's just sad. :unimpressed:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on April 13, 2015, 06:53:02 PM
I just got around to seeing the new Ant-Man trailer. I definitely don't agree that it looks boring. I have some issues with it as well as some stuff that I genuinely like. My biggest problem is that it seems too indecisive about its tone. The best part of the trailer was when they were having an epic fight only for it to zoom out and show us how insignificant it seemed when it resulted in a choo-choo train harmlessly crashing and falling off the toy tracks. Stuff like that feels both creative and fun.
I agree about that part of the trailer; it was the only bit I particularly cared for. That and Michael Douglas. "Boring" might the wrong word, though. More like it just doesn't interest me at all.

But the point about trailers is also good. Kick-Ass and In Bruges have some of the worst trailers I've seen, but they're also two of my favorite movies ever. I just find it difficult to retain interest in this movie without Edgar Wright.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on April 13, 2015, 03:46:52 PM
I also mentioned several pages back how Marvel went on record saying that they weren't going to do any more origin stories by phase 3, but I guess nobody on this board actually ever reads anything. :thinkin:
Interesting. Will they just jump right in with Captain Marvel and Black Panther, then? That's unheard of for a live action superhero adaptation; mainstream audiences seem to expect origin stories at this point. Not that I mind, myself.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, just as a reminder, The Incredible Hulk skipped the origin story, so they've been doing it since phase one as is.

You honestly don't really need an origin story movie, anyways. You could easily just do a 2 or 3 minute flash-back explaining how these characters became superheroes.

In the case of Black Panther, it'd be a similar origin story to Thor. T'challa inherits the mantle of the Black Panther from his father, and the Black Panther is basically the protector and ruler of Wakanda, a fictional advanced society in Africa that is basically like a version of Asgard on Earth.

If someone really wanted to know his and Ms. Marvel's origin stories, I'd recommend AEMH. It's one of the best superhero cartoons of all time, and it does a great job of streamlining iconic Marvel characters and story-lines for very casual Marvel fans such as myself and many others.

Foggle

I guess I interpreted that as "no origin at all." Hulk wasn't an origin movie, but it was still shown during the opening credits and was very important of the plot.

Speaking of Marvel cartoons, now that they're amazing friends with Sony again, the new Spider-Man movie should be called Spectacular Spider-Man and function as a sequel to season 2 of SSM...

gunswordfist

I'd love that about as much as Nintendo getting Ratchet.

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 13, 2015, 10:18:44 PM
I'd love that about as much as Nintendo getting Ratchet.
Same. ;)

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 13, 2015, 10:12:45 PMSpeaking of Marvel cartoons, now that they're amazing friends with Sony again, the new Spider-Man movie should be called Spectacular Spider-Man and function as a sequel to season 2 of SSM...
Ultimate Spider-Man is still airing.

Just be hopeful the new Spider-Man movie isn't based on that.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Daikun

Batman vs. Superman leaked teaser

It's a crappy cam rip for right now, but if you don't wanna wait for the official release (which will be a while)...

Foggle

It certainly looks... dark.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, that didn't tell me anything about the movie.

Typical trailer.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Making a good trailer must be hard. They usually either end up spoiling a lot of the plot or not revealing enough to get people interested.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 17, 2015, 12:14:45 AM
Making a good trailer must be hard. They usually either end up spoiling a lot of the plot or not revealing enough to get people interested.
This is one of my favorite trailers.

It tells you the basic story, sets up some intrigue, and doesn't spoil anything important. Good trailers are hard to make, but I prefer them tell me something about the movie than leaving me with nothing but questions.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Bad trailer to a good movie: http://youtu.be/yUmSVcttXnI

It does not properly set up the tone of the movie and how most of it is actually really entertaining. Unfortunately, people didn't see the movie based on the trailer.

Spark Of Spirit

Wow, that is a pretty bad trailer. I never saw that one before, but yeah I would have no idea what the movie was about if I didn't know it was an adaption of All You Need Is Kill. The whole repeat theme is not really explained. It's also poorly paced. Yowch.