Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

In the UK, I believe. We have another week.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Lord Il

Yeah, we had some regular posters from the UK at the old Excel Saga Forum who saw new releases a whole week ahead. They'd disgust me.  :il_hahaha:

Man, I didn't realise Age of Ultron was so fast approaching. Guess I know what I'm seeing next weekend.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've heard a lot of early reviews call this film more Whedon-esque than the last one, so people's mileage may vary based on how much Whedonism they can tolerate. Personally I love Whedon's style, so I'll probably appreciate the movie more than others if that's the case.

talonmalon333

I feel like, out of these Marvel universe films, Guardians of the Galaxy is the only one that I was actually surprised about, in terms of quality. I went into it knowing nothing about it and liked it a lot, easily more than most of the others. As for the rest of the movies, whether I liked them or not, they were about on par with what I expected from them. Well, maybe Iron Man was better than I expected it to be, but that came out so many years ago so I honestly don't remember what I expected from it before seeing it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Homura Akemi on April 25, 2015, 11:09:27 AM
I've made Dalek hate Age of Ultron. Whoops.

If Dalek hates it, then I'll probably love it by default. :>

Foggle

Dalek hates everything!

Dr. Insomniac

Dalek hates Mother 3 and Legend of Galactic Heroes.

Avaitor

I'm not really crazy about Wanda and Pietro's Romani root being removed from the film.

Spoiler
And apparently they're also show nas Nazi sympathizers at one point. Da fuq
[close]
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Homura Akemi on April 25, 2015, 01:34:38 PM
I'm mean, he has some pretty good reasons to hate the film from what I've told him. It's exceptionally dumb.

You mean, like every superhero film ever made? That kind of goes without saying with this genre. :>

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on April 25, 2015, 02:10:58 PM
Quote from: Homura Akemi on April 25, 2015, 01:34:38 PM
I'm mean, he has some pretty good reasons to hate the film from what I've told him. It's exceptionally dumb.

You mean, like every superhero film ever made? That kind of goes without saying with this genre. :>
I haven't seen Age of Ultron yet, but there's a difference between normal superhero dumb like Guardians and insufferably dumb comic book refuse like X-Men: The Last Stand. Not that I'm comparing that shit stain to AoU, of course.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'll just watch it for myself and see. I have a feeling that whatever the problem is, it probably won't bother me nearly as much. After all, I'm one of the two or three people on Earth who likes Spider-Man 3 and feel that people were pretty nuts to take any of those films seriously in the first place.

Avaitor

Well until then, some friends are holding marathons of all the movies, by Phases. Yes, that means that they're going to watch the first 6 MCU movies in a row, and that'll be tomorrow, while Phase 2 will be on Tuesday. I'm off for both days, so I'll try to make it to both, but I'm probably only going to do the latter half of Phase 1, or at least come for First Avenger and Avengers.

New blog!

Avaitor

I arrived at the marathon just as the credits for Iron Man 2 were rolling, and stuck for the back half. It was swell.

Thor is actually tied with Avengers as my most seen MCU film, but not really by choice. Still, it's a very enjoyable film that is made on its lead actors, which Hemsworth and Hiddleston instantly nail. Hemsworth's straight-faced delivery of his absurd lines in the second act definitely help to keep it fresh, even when it gets occasionally tedious. But when the brothers are on screen together, it's all worth it.

And while I'm not as closely tied to The First Avenger as EK is, there's no denying that it's top-notch stuff, and pretty fun the whole way through. The Red Skull is definitely among the stronger Marvel villains seen so far, although I do still wish that he had a little more badassery time. Hugo Weaving is definitely captivating enough to require more screentime. Still, the film's throwback to the period was done quite well, which is to be expected from the guy behind The Rocketeer.

Avengers is Avengers. I still get that rush each time I see it, but to be fair, I try to keep distance from my viewings, so it still happens. But my friend's projector helped to keep the movie looking great!

I'll make it for the full Phase 2 marathon on Tuesday. We had such a good time that I can't wait!

New blog!

Avaitor

I had to miss the first 2/3rds of Iron Man 3 for the Phase 2 marathon, but after I came over, it was a great time! I still think that IM3 is a little samey, but the last act does contain some of the MCU's best action sequences, while The Dark World does have issues in story, which are made up by a plethora of other elements elevating it from the first. It really is the latter 2 films that help to make the second phase superior to the first, though.

And I can't wait for Thursday night!

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Winter Soldier and GOTG make phase 2. But IM3 and The Dark World are great additions nonetheless.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton