Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, as someone who just flat-out didn't like Man of Steel and in general hasn't been that on board with DC since TDK trilogy ended, I have to admit that I really liked the new Batman v. Superman trailer, personally. The tone really reminds me of Frank Miller's TDKR, the fact that it's actually dealing with Superman's crazy destruction of Metropolis from the first movie to turn people against him is a good plot point salvaging a big fuck-up in my book, and I really feel like the dark atmosphere actually fits with this movie based on the trailer (whereas a solo Superman movie shouldn't be as depressing as MoS was, IMO). Also, Ben Affleck really does look like he could make for a great older version of Bruce Wayne.

That isn't to say that I'm completely sold on the movie. I'm not really that into how they are portraying Lex Luthor, and the trailer also makes it seem like Wonder Woman is being crammed into this movie rather than being an integral part of the story, but on the whole I actually liked what I saw.

That said, a well cut trailer can always still lead into a bad movie, but suffice it to say that DC has at least managed to perk my interest a little bit, which is saying a lot in a genre almost entirely dominated by Marvel these days.

gunswordfist

I just watched both trailers.

I thought they were going to not make Deadpool look fucked up. I could barely see but it seems like he's ugly as ever. Good!

Batman v Superman is looking pretty good from the trailer. Since I don't care too much about Wonder Woman, I am not worried about how much she is in the movie. I really hate that version of Lex Luthor though. He'll probably lose his hair but his dialogue is even worse.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

To be fair, though, they are trying to be different from any previous film versions of these characters, while still staying true to the spirit of the comics, so their rationale for characterizing some iconic characters differently is to update them in order to make them believable for modern audiences. That isn't to say that I'm down with this version of the character, but I couldn't exactly expect them to try and copy Gene Hackman's version either.

That said, Jesse Eisenberg did shave his head and was wearing a wig for those scenes in the trailer, so he will be bald by the end of the movie.

As for Wonder Woman, my point was that I rather wouldn't have her introduced in this film at all. I can't stand when characters or plot points are just tacked onto a story that doesn't really need them (such as Black Widow in Iron Man 2), but they seem to be shoehorning her into the film in order to build up to Justice League. I could be wrong, but I'd rather have her introduced in a movie where she's more central to the plot. This movie should strictly be contained to the personal conflict between Batman and Superman, IMO.

gunswordfist

I know exactly what you mean. I hate it when they do that too but I just wanted to show how much I don't care for most versions of Wonder Woman. :D

I wonder if Lex will lose his hair like he did in Birthright. I almost feel dirty for saying that since that's my 2nd favorite Superman story and the best Luthor ever though.

talonmalon333

Wonder Woman is long overdo for a movie. Is she getting one?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Right, but for me it has less to do with whether I care about Wonder Woman as a character or not and more to do with the fact that if she's shoehorned into the film, it can end up feeling over-bloated or leave less time to focus on the core characters and plot points of the movie, hence it negatively effects the film as a whole.

gunswordfist

Gotcha.
Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 12, 2015, 05:27:50 PM
Wonder Woman is long overdo for a movie. Is she getting one?
Just watch the animated movie

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 12, 2015, 05:27:50 PMWonder Woman is long overdo for a movie. Is she getting one?

DC announced solo movies for her and several other DC characters months ago (including Shazam, Cyborg, and Aquaman, among the B-list heroes).

Of course, those will only happen if you assume that DC's franchise becomes a success. If BVS and Suicide Squad BOTH manage to somehow bomb next year, then I doubt that they'll even manage to make it to Justice League.

Anyways, if you want to see a good Wonder Woman movie, I recommend the 2009 animated film, which is easily one of the better DTV DC movies to have ever been released.

Foggle

If Batman vs Superman ends with Batty and Supes becoming best friends and sharing drinks together while regaling each other with tales of battling evil, I will officially start giving the DCCU the time of day. :D

Deadpool looks like the best superhero movie ever, but I need to see that footage in HD. Right now.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, I don't know if I'd call it a superhero movie as much as it is an anti-hero movie.

Foggle

Just trying to make the distinction between all comic book movies and ones based off of Big 2 properties. Deadpool isn't a superhero of course, though he does want to be (at times).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

https://mobile.twitter.com/VancityReynolds/status/620373032402456577

I don't care if the VFX shots aren't done yet, I want the Comic-Con trailer in high quality right now. I can't wait 3 weeks for it!

Quote from: Foggle on July 12, 2015, 06:53:23 PMIf Batman vs Superman ends with Batty and Supes becoming best friends and sharing drinks together while regaling each other with tales of battling evil, I will officially start giving the DCCU the time of day. :D

So, basically like the ending of most Marvel and DC-related HISHE episodes.

Dr. Insomniac

I keep calling the DCCU the "dickoo".

Spark Of Spirit

Any talk of the Suicide Squad trailer?

Gotta say, it doesn't do much of anything for me, and I liked both the JLU episode and Arrow team. It's so stilted and lifeless.

Of course the final movie could be different, but at this point I don't owe DC's movie team any sort of benefit of the doubt. They need to prove it to me first with the final product.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

To be fair, that movie is a full year away, so they obviously haven't filmed most of it, especially any special effects heavy scenes (hence why you see no actual action in the trailer). It's kind of unfair to judge a movie when it's that early into production.

That isn't to say that I'm supporting it, but rather that I have no opinion on it at this point.