Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

I think I'd be more interested in Suicide Squad if the Joker wasn't in it. Yes, I understand that he's Batman's most iconic villain, but the amount of Joker worship that's been shoved down our throats over the past few years (beginning with Arkham Origins) in the non-comic universes is making me tire of the character. Plus, the SS movie version looks ugly as hell, and I also think they should have given him a rest from the films until at least 2018 out of respect for Heath Ledger.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, that's a bit of a double-edged sword. If you are viewing these movies as a fan of comics, then you could argue that it's tiring to see Batman characters at all (unless they did a Nightwing movie, which would be awesome). I mean, not just the Joker, but Batman himself has been the subject of over-exposure over the past several years. So in that regard, it's easy to say that they should give those characters a rest.

But now think from DC/WB's perspective as a business. Batman is their most iconic character, and the Joker their most iconic villain. Also recall that at least 90% of the audience for these movies probably don't read comic books at all. In that regard, of course DC is going to want to use their most recognizable characters to boost the interest in their films, especially when they have to compete with the already well-established MCU.

Nobody who isn't a nerd of some sort would even know who any of the characters in the Suicide Squad are. Using a villain that people can recognize is the best way to gain the attention of tons of non-comic-book readers.

And with all due respect to Heath Ledger, this movie will be releasing in 2016, a total of 8-years after TDK and his tragic passing. That's a pretty sizable gap of time.

And lastly, I have to kind of chuckle a bit whenever people once again judge the Joker based on his design rather than his performance (and seeing him for all of 2-seconds in a trailer doesn't count as seeing his performance). Remember how people flipped their shit when Ledger's design was revealed at Comic-Con 2007 and people openly exclaimed that he would suck? Because I do.

Granted that Leto's Joker could always suck, but I personally have nothing reliable to go on to make a judgement yet.

And once again, I'm not a DC-apologist by any means. I just think that people are being a bit unfair in their pessimism here; which, BTW, is also proof that I don't just defend stuff that I actually am a fan of, like the MCU.

gunswordfist

I just agree that the new Joker is ugly.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 14, 2015, 02:24:59 AM
I just agree that the new Joker is ugly.

Because he's supposed to look pretty, obviously.

gunswordfist

Some would agree that he is in fact pretty. :)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, clearly he wears so much makeup for a reason.

Spark Of Spirit

Naw, I think DC deserves the pessimism.  ;)

I'm willing to wait and see how it turns out, but I'm not going to give them any benefit of the doubt until they show me something worth seeing. This trailer ain't gonna do it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 14, 2015, 01:12:22 PM

Because TDK trilogy never happened.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 14, 2015, 01:40:59 PM

Christopher Nolan is doing this?

The last non-Batman film DC did that was any good came out in 1980. I don't see why pessimism isn't deserved.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 14, 2015, 01:44:59 PM
1980... :(
Superman II. 35 years ago.

Like I said, if the film is good, I'll go see it. But DC is going to earn my trust first outside of Batman movies.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 14, 2015, 01:42:19 PM
Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 14, 2015, 01:40:59 PM

Christopher Nolan is doing this?

He's executive producer on these films.

QuoteThe last non-Batman film DC did that was any good came out in 1980. I don't see why pessimism isn't deserved.

Because assuming that just because these are all DC films they are all going to be of the same level of quality is stupid.

First of as all, this trailer was never supposed to be released to the public. DC only wanted to show-case it at CC for fans to see something, and wait for more scenes to be filmed (once again, this movie is more than a year away from release) before releasing a proper trailer to the public, but released the official version after the trailer leaked online.

It'd be one thing if you were pre-judging this if it were directed by Zack Snyder, but it's not. It's written and directed by different people. But by your logic it doesn't matter just because it's DC. That'd be like saying that all future X-Men movies would suck unless they were directed by Bryan Singer, but then Matthew Vaughn did First Class and it was great.

Secondly, you seem to forget that Marvel was awful throughout all of the 90's, and had just as many duds as good movies up until 2008 when they formed their own studio. DC hasn't had as many films since then, but at least three of them were good (and Superman Returns is underrated, IMO).

Thirdly is that as far as the DCCU goes, you literally only have one movie to go on so far. I didn't like MOS, but I'm not going to be pessimistic based on one bad movie (and to be fair, there are a lot of people who like that movie, so it's not even universally hated).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 14, 2015, 01:47:05 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on July 14, 2015, 01:44:59 PM
1980... :(
Superman II. 35 years ago.

Like I said, if the film is good, I'll go see it. But DC is going to earn my trust first outside of Batman movies.

Well, seeing as how Batman v Superman is a Batman movie, and SS has Batman in it at least as a cameo, you shouldn't have anything to complain about. :sly:

Avaitor

Batman vs Superman is looking a little better, but I'm not sold on Jesse Eisenberg as Luthor yet. And Suicide Squad still does little for me, especially not Joker or Harley.

I'd like to be proven wrong, though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Luthor is the only part of BVS that I'm not buying, but he doesn't seem to be a huge focus of the movie. The rest of the trailer was great, and once again, that says a lot considering how much I disliked MOS. I'm cautiously optimistic about this one, now.

As for SS, I could go either way on the Joker's design. It depends completely on the performance, though. Heath Ledger's Joker design was incredibly ugly and just looked wrong, but he fit so perfectly with his performance that people forgot how much they were bitching about it before.

As for Harley, though, I think that her design looks great, myself. I'm surprised that they got it to look so good without being too silly in live action.