Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 16, 2015, 08:07:26 PM
So, in other news, we should probably all be grateful that TASM series is done.

Had TASM2 been a success, this is supposedly the even more ludicrous third movie that we would've got: http://io9.com/the-bonkers-plan-for-amazing-spider-man-3-bring-back-e-1718146107
What do you have against the Clone Saga?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Nothing. I just think that it's a poor concept for a film. Not everything that works in one medium is necessarily suitable to be adapted into another.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 16, 2015, 08:14:13 PM

Had TASM2 been a success, this is supposedly the even more ludicrous third movie that we would've got: http://io9.com/the-bonkers-plan-for-amazing-spider-man-3-bring-back-e-1718146107
Which one, at the end of the day, is the clone?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 16, 2015, 08:24:59 PM
Nothing. I just think that it's a poor concept for a film. Not everything that works in one medium is necessarily suitable to be adapted into another.
You actually think that I would defend the Clone Saga? :srs:
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 16, 2015, 08:27:56 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on July 16, 2015, 08:14:13 PM

Which one, at the end of the day, is the clone?
According to the tvtropes page I was reading, there's like 4 or 5 clone sagas. lol

LumRanmaYasha

I quite liked Ant-Man. While the tone was very much a MCU movie, it felt more like a heist film with a neat gimmick than a superhero film to me, which as a fan of heist films, was something I could get into pretty easily. I also found the protagonists fairly compelling. While perhaps not a necessarily special characterization, the fact that Scott was a dad just trying to do right by his kid made him more quickly sympathetic and endearing to me. I also really liked the movie's version of Hank. As someone whose only familiar with Ant-Man through EMH, I liked the movie's version of the character(s) much more. I appreciated that there was only one real big fight scene and it was saved towards the end. Considering Marvel was all about fight after fight with AoU, that surprised me, but I think that really helped it make more of an impact since it's not quite as over-the-top or elaborate as those in other Marvel films.

The weakest link in the movie is pretty easily the villain. He's as obvious, one-dimensional, and over-the-top as they come. He's amusingly hammy so that didn't drag the film down for me too much, but it would have been nice if they made him a more well-rounded and developed character, since there was a good foundation for one. But the villains have never been the strong point of these movies, I suppose.

Flaws, formula, and all, I still enjoyed the film. More than AoU, actually. Of course, I've never been as enthusiastic about the MCU films as others here have and I'm fond of heist films, so ymmv. Still, I think the negativity and reservations people might have towards the film are unfair and unwarranted, and think most people here would quite enjoy it.

Also, I was pleased with both the mid-credits and post-credits scenes. The post-credits one is especially sweet hype for Civil War

gunswordfist

I'm glad he's better in the movie since Hank was easily the worst main Avenger.

It also sounds like Marvel has filmed yet again to make a good movie villain. The latest Marvel movie I've seen is GOTG and so far I only like Loki, Red Skull and The Winter Soldier.

Spark Of Spirit

They should have used the Irredeemable Ant-Man as the villain. It would have worked great with the comedic tone. Would have been even better if Yellowjacket made a cameo.

Anyway, this sounds fun. Definitely will be seeing this one eventually.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The post-credits scene was awesome. It actually has me really excited for Civil War, now.

As for the movie, I already gave my thoughts on it in the other thread, but it was plenty of fun. I still personally prefer AoU, but this was an above average solo superhero-film. And while I did like the heist elements, it did still feel a bit too formulaic to me in the first half with the whole typical character arc and training montage, but it was all still executed rather well.

Avaitor

One thing I've said before is that we'll probably see Miles Morales on screen before DC ever skips over Dick Grayson as Robin. Well...

If this is true, well, I'm certainly a little more interested.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

The Titans show (if it ever gets off the ground) is supposedly about Dick Grayson transitioning to become Nightwing. I mean, of course, that's still no Jason Todd or Tim Drake as Robin, but at least it's something. Being as I like (movie) Red Hood and Red Robin, I would certainly like them both to get more focus.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Avaitor on July 22, 2015, 03:26:31 PM
One thing I've said before is that we'll probably see Miles Morales on screen before DC ever skips over Dick Grayson as Robin. Well...

If this is true, well, I'm certainly a little more interested.
I was reading about that theory on the trailer's comments. I'm not sure what to think if this actually happens.

Avaitor

More DC news to ponder.

I really like the idea of a Green Lantern Corps film. This means that GSF can have his Hal, and we can have actually interesting Lanterns. :awesome:
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

gunswordfist

I didn't know Spark worked on Avaitor's computer. :thinkin:

Avaitor

Where do you think he goes during the weekend?

New blog!

gunswordfist