Marvel Live Action

Started by Spark Of Spirit, February 20, 2015, 07:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Spoiler
I had no idea who could possibly be paying for Bullseye's surgery instead of leaving him in prison crippled from the neck down, so I checked the name of the doctor on the Marvel wiki. So I guess Lady Deathstrike's dad is the main villain for season 4.
[close]

Avaitor

It took me a little longer to finish it than I'd like, but I'm wrapping up season 3 of Daredevil now. See, MCU, this is why you don't kill off your villain the moment they're introduced. Bringing Fisk back was the right call, and Bullseye made for a great addition as well. This is easily the best season since The Punisher.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Avaitor

This one particularly stung. While the second seasons of Luke Cage and Iron Fist held improvements over their first, I just plainly never clicked with either shows the way I did for most of Daredevil's run, nor do I think they could have done anything as good as its third season. And I really do think they could have come up with at least one more solid season, if not two.

There has to be something going on. And I wouldn't be surprised if Jessica Jones and/or The Punisher ends up with them on the block before the end of the year. If they don't, that'll probably be it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I understand why the is happening, and was even expecting it, but I'm still not happy about it. I couldn't care less about the other shows aside from Jessica Jones season 1 and The Punisher, but Daredevil was really something special and stood out among the more family friendly stuff in the MCU. I guarantee that you'll never get to see anything like that on a Disney streaming service.

If nothing else, at least Daredevil went out on a high note.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on November 29, 2018, 09:28:32 PM
I guarantee that you'll never get to see anything like that on a Disney streaming service.
Sigh... yeah.

Dr. Insomniac

Marvel/Disney were not involved in the cancellations. I can only assume that Netflix is purging all the shows that they don't fully own (American Vandal's been cancelled for similar reasons). Since even though it went down in views, Daredevil was still a highly watched show on streaming platforms.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

For what it's worth, though, even though it wasn't intended to be the ending, season three still works out to be a nearly perfect conclusion to the story.

Spoiler
Kingpin is back in jail, and this time is likely to stay there for good. Matt, Foggy, and Karen are finally back together again. And Matt has finally had his faith restored and affirmed by Nadeem's sacrifice, proving that people can be redeemed. Just about every plot thread set up since season one has been satisfyingly resolved, with the lone exception of Bullseye. That said, even in this case, it could be seen as a way that Matt will always have evil to fight, but otherwise it's a solid ending to the narrative.
[close]

While these shows clearly won't be integrated into the MCU at this point, I do hope that Disney at least shows some respect to it's fanbase and doesn't try to use alternate versions of these characters for at least a few years. As it is, I don't think that I can picture another Matt Murdock being as good as the one that Charlie Cox played.

Avaitor

New blog!

Avaitor

It's official- Punisher and Jessica Jones are cancelled. The third season of JJ will be Marvel's last Netflix show.

I'll still give season 3 of JJ a shot, even after the second one's mehtastic turn, but I was not a big fan of Punisher season 2. It just never really went anywhere for me, which is a shame since I really did like the first season.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I agree. The Punisher season two was dreadfully boring. I will defend the first season as underrated and I'd still argue that Jon Bernthal puts on a genuinely good performance for the character, with his arc of Daredevil season two being some of my favorite MCU content. However, I had to crawl through season two at a snail's pace, and it honestly felt like doing homework just to watch the entire thing so that I could say that I watched all of the Netflix Marvel shows. If not for that, I would've just dropped it.

Dr. Insomniac

Rynnec

Would've preferred Blaze or Ketch, especially if they're planning to adapt Midnight Sons, but this is still awesome.

Dr. Insomniac

Even though Game of Thrones has left a bitter aftertaste to the idea, I've been wondering how Marvel could conquer the hour long prestige drama like they've done with movies. They've certainly tried with the Netflix shows, but they've gotten too many bumps in the road, or they were cancelled before they could really stretch their wings. And the Disney+ shows feel more like miniseries than anything that could reach the ambitious scope of Breaking Bad. I think I mentioned this before, but using the X-Men would sound like a great idea. Hundreds of characters with their own intertwined arcs and labyrinthine plots would be great in a TV format, and would help differentiate MCU's X-Men from the movies. If not them, maybe try out a villain. Make someone like Dr. Doom the Marvel equivalent of Walter White/Tony Soprano.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

In order for something like that to work they'd need to pick an ensemble of characters that could work with consistently smaller-scale stories which wouldn't require a huge budget and lent itself well to drama. With something like the X-Men, you definitely could pull that off, but I feel as though the FOX X-Men films have trained audiences to expect bigger, more important stories from them. Perhaps if it was one of the spin-offs or off-shoots of the X-Men, you could pull that off a bit easier.

The funny thing is they already kind of have a prestige-level series like that with Legion, but the only problem is that nobody watched it because of how weird and over-the-top it looks.

Honestly, though, I feel that having intertwining mini-series actually IS the best way for Marvel to stand-out as opposed to just trying to be like GOT or something of that sort. Marvel stories aren't really the best suited for long story-lines with a definitive ending point, but those short, sweet, stylized comic runs would be perfect for them, in trying to adapt stuff like Tom King's Vision run, or Matt Fraction's Hawkeye run. And we already have a Loki series confirmed, with the Journey into Mystery and Agent of Asgard runs being perfect inspiration for how that series could work, mixing humor and wit to make for a very unique take on the MCU, seeing it through the eyes of someone who's clearly not a hero but is willing to work against even worse people than himself by playing dirty and outsmarting them. There's a lot of potential there.