What Are You Reading?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 27, 2010, 04:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Oh, Best Buy has the first volume of Assassination Classroom for $3 right now. Since they also carry manga sometimes, I guess.

This would be a good chance to give the series a shot, so I'll probably go back and hit that up.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Markness

Quote from: VLordGTZ on January 10, 2016, 04:13:39 PM
I recently caught up with Dark Horse's releases of Blood Blockade Battlefront.  Just like its anime adaption, it was extremely entertaining.  I'm looking forward to reading the 8th volume when it eventually comes out in the US.   ;D

Unfortunately, Dark Horse don't seem to care about that manga anymore as well as Drifters. I keep checking their release schedule and the next volumes (8 and 4 respectively) are never on there. They've also given Eden the shaft as well. It's just four volumes away from completion and they aren't bringing the rest over. Damnit, Dark Horse, quit dicking around!  :e_angry:

Rant over. I'm currently reading Teppu online (since that's my only choice unless Kodansha USA licenses it) and I plan on reading the volumes of Flame of Recca I haven't gotten around to yet (17-26). I also plan on reading the 1996 issues of Avengers and Fantastic Four that lead up to the Onslaught saga. Non comic and manga-wise, I am reading Kieran Shea's Koko Takes A Holiday. The new generation of sci-fi has been pretty damn good.

VLordGTZ

Well last year, Dark Horse mentioned on their blog that volume 8 of BBB is "on it's way".  Considering that the sales of the manga have risen in the US thanks to the anime, I think Dark Horse is still planning to release it.

I'm not sure about Drifters volume 4, but hopefully it will be released this year since the anime adaption will be coming out soon.

Spark Of Spirit

Also, BBB had a bit of delay in Japan due to changing magazines again. There's probably a lot of stuff they need to get around.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Markness

Quote from: VLordGTZ on March 15, 2016, 11:49:12 AM
Well last year, Dark Horse mentioned on their blog that volume 8 of BBB is "on it's way".  Considering that the sales of the manga have risen in the US thanks to the anime, I think Dark Horse is still planning to release it.

I'm not sure about Drifters volume 4, but hopefully it will be released this year since the anime adaption will be coming out soon.

Hmmmm, I wonder how I missed that? Are there any blog posts about Eden?

VLordGTZ

It seems that the last time Eden was mentioned was around the release of volume 14.  It doesn't sound like it was selling well, but considering the 2 year gaps between their releases of the last 2 volumes, it's possible Dark Horse may still have plans to release the rest (though, I wouldn't be surprised otherwise).

Avaitor

I finished the first volume of Assassination Classroom, and while I don't really love it, I can see why this caught on. There's a cool premise here, and there are some clever moments. I mainly like the mystery behind the teacher, who's too creepy to look away from, and helps to deflate the general blandness of the students thus far.

I might try to get to the later volumes, but I'm not sure if I want to continue buying it at full price yet.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

VLordGTZ

Assassination Classroom is great series, but it can take some time to grow on you.  Korosensei is the main source of entertainment in the early chapters, but the students and other supports characters become quite well-developed and fun over time (especially Nagisa, Karma, and a character introduce in Volume 2).  Personally, I feel that it starts picking up at around Volume 4 and continues to get even better as it goes on from there.

Avaitor

Cool! Since I don't really think that I can afford to buy the rest of it as of now, I might stick to reading it online, but I'm interested in sticking around.

New blog!

Hime

Right now, I'm reading on:

-Gokukoku no Brynhildr
-Onepunch Man
-Mahou Shoujo of the End
-Chocolat no Mahou
-Kingdom Hearts II
-Fairy Tail

Maybe I need to keep up with the current story for now.

Pharass

Read the second-to-last volume of Il Etait Une Fois En France by Fabien Nury and Sylvain Vallé. The volume, which is titled Le Petit Juge de Melun is something of a departure from its predecessors, since the primary focus lies not on the comics' main character, Joseph Joanovici, but rather on judge Legentil, a minor character in the very first volume, who becomes increasingly obsessed with taking Joanivici down. Fittingly enough, the volume begins with that famous "He who fights monsters..." quote by Nietzsche.
While I didn't find Le Petit Juge as excellent as the first four volumes, its still a worthy installment in a comic which ranks among my all-time favorites.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Dr. Insomniac

Finally found a cache of Ditko-era Strange to read so I can get hook on the character. Can't wait to get to the Eternity Saga. Anyone know any other good storylines?

Dr. Insomniac

Reading Denny O'Neil's Question run. I shamefully haven't read much O'Neil, but this is great.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 19, 2016, 07:13:00 AM
Reading Denny O'Neil's Question run. I shamefully haven't read much O'Neil, but this is great.
It really is. Shame it's so difficult to get a hold of these days. DC should consider putting their old stuff online.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Iirc, I have only read his Green Lantern/Green Arrow, which is so damn good. How that got canceled is beyond me.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody