What Are You Reading?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 27, 2010, 04:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

That Hawkeye hardcover I talked about earlier? It was actually $10. I hit that up today.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Found some Sweet Tooth and Hellblazer at the library.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I finished reading the first volume of The Walking Dead. I only saw the first season of the TV show, but yeah, his is miles better than that confused piece of tripe. It doesn't waste time on useless plot points and spends a good amount of time developing the characters, and can be pretty tense when things finally start getting dangerous. I also notice that Lori and Shane are characterized significantly different in the comic than how they were in the TV series. In the TV series they were both unlikable and selfish pricks who I both wanted to see get offed right away. In the comic, Lori doesn't act like such a bitch toward her own husband, and as for Shane, while he did go crazy before he died, I could actually kind of sympathize with him, what with how he coveted Lori but had no chance with her once Rick showed back up, and you could tell that he felt genuinely guilty about forcing the group to stay near the city, even though he didn't want to admit that he was wrong in that decision.

Anyways, I'll try and visit my library again this week to continue reading through the series.

Avaitor

Yeah, the creators of the show admit that they only use the comics for a templete to come up with story ideas, and they loosely adapt, if at all, from the GNs. They mess with characters, plot points and scenarios a lot otherwise.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Hmmm, I never really thought that much of Shane.

Glad you finished Volume 1. It just makes the show's pace seem that much worse.

Warning: For some reason Tony Moore leaves the comic and takes his great art with him. To be specific, the art following Volume 2 is ugly. And at the start of Volume 2, a lot of new characters get introduced and it might be confusing to get to differentiate them and the returning cast from Volume 1 because the very different art makes it hard to tell which character is which (except for Lori, Rick and Carl, because of the spotlight they get)
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

Zot! That's what I read last night instead of sleeping. The Earth stories are shockingly good.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, the artwork has gotten rather sloppy in volume 2, so far. This clearly looks like a completely different artist from volume 1. That's a shame, because I liked the consistency of that artwork and I got used to the character designs from it, whereas in this everyone seems like they are hiding in the shadows for some reason.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 16, 2012, 01:09:07 AM
Yeah, the artwork has gotten rather sloppy in volume 2, so far. This clearly looks like a completely different artist from volume 1. That's a shame, because I liked the consistency of that artwork and I got used to the character designs from it, whereas in this everyone seems like they are hiding in the shadows for some reason.
:D Yeah, Volume 2 and beyond artwork, not good. But it doesn;t even bother me, even on a subconscious level. The writing makes up for it that well. Still word prefer Moore's art though. :sweat:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Angus

Yeah, haven't noticed in volume 2. I'll need to catch up someday. Haven't even finished the TV series.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Foggle

Dr. Insomniac

Foggle

Avaitor

lol

Oh, this reminds me, Foggle, have you read Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness? I just learned of it.

New blog!

Foggle

Quote from: Brak's Dad on May 16, 2012, 06:53:06 PM
Oh, this reminds me, Foggle, have you read Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness? I just learned of it.
I did not even know such a thing existed! That sounds amazing.

Also, I hope they include the Punisher version in the Deadpool TPB. That's one of my favorite comics.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I finished reading volume 3 of The Walking Dead. Damn....Shit got intense. I mean, holy crap was their a huge body count in that volume alone. The good thing is that it doesn't feel forced just for gore but rather seems to be handled by genuinely good writing, IMO. I also just wanted to mention that this is miles better than the manga High School of the Dead, which I attempted reading about a year ago. Unlike that series, this one actually has characters that get development and that you care about and you actually do know that characters can easily die, whereas in HSOTD anyone with boobs will live, and save for the main character, any male character is immediately dead. Yeah, this series easily trumps that piece of shit.

Anyways, the one bad thing about it being so intense is that its not something I can marathon. I'm going to have to take a break from this series because quite frankly it gets to be a bit too much for me at times. So far its definitely good, though.