What Are You Reading?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 27, 2010, 04:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pharass

Got the latest Blake & Mortimer. It started out fine, but fell apart towards the end. Too much shit going on, felt like it should have been a two-parter. The uneven quality of the artwork didn't help things either, for some reason this volume had two artists and while one of them (Antoine Aubin) is great, the other guy is not.

On a more positive note I also got a collection of the first three volumes of Le Chant des Stryges, a long-running French comic and so far, it's a really interesting mix between a conspiracy thriller and supernatural horror.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

LumRanmaYasha

I didn't only watch a lot anime over the last month...I watched Breaking Bad and The Wire read a lot of manga too! I have to keep my thoughts briefer than I'd like since some of this stuff isn't as fresh in my mind:

Excel Saga volume 27 - A fantastic final volume! There were some parts I'm still a little iffy on concerning the story overall, but damn was it wrapped up well. I absolutely love the final chapter. Everything just felt so right (except for loli Umi...wtf is up with that?). Overall, and excellent ending to what is basically tied with Bobobo as my favorite manga ever. I really must re-read and collect this series as soon as I can.

Sailor Moon volume 12 - Another amazing ending to a great series. Probably the single best volume of Sailor Moon, in fact. The darkest, most personal conflict Usagi has ever faced, and the development of her character really shines through here. A wholly satisfying finale on every level.

Animal Land volume 8 - Speaking of satisfying, there was nothing like the joy I felt reading this new Animal Land volume. It wastes no time. The first chapter shocked me. I seriously did not think Raiku would ever do that, but he did. And then Taroza's reaction...I love how he is now willing to do whatever it takes in order to create a world without suffering, even if he has to do evil things and be called a demon in the process. A very atypical characterization, and I'm glad to see the timeskip as well. I'm a little iffy on Capri siding with Giller, since she even knows he's just using her, but she gives a legitimate rationale and it's true Taroza's plans are not best for her family (or other carnivores, really). I eagerly await seeing how their confrontation is resolved in the next volume.

Vinland Saga volume 1 - Fiiinnnnallly got around to reading this, and damn was it as good as I expected. The art is seriously fantastic, and Thorfinn's backstory was a really cool mini-arc. And Askeladd is my kind of villain; a charismatic but terrible person who takes gambles but plays for keeps. But since this volume was pure backstory aside from the first two chapters, I have high expectations for the main story. I'll pick up volume 2 (which is out now!) as soon as I can.

Even A Monkey Can Draw Manga volume 1 - Wow, in some ways this series puts Bakuman to shame. It's a harsh, scathing satire of the manga industry done in an over-the-top, zealous style, and I was laughing my ass off cover to cover. As a story, Bakuman is clearly better, but as manga about making manga this series is on a whole other level. I really hope to read more of it, if I can find the rest of the volumes.

Kaoru Mori: Everything and Anything  - Kaoru Mori is a mangaka whose works I've had an eye on for a while, but haven't actually got a chance to read yet. This collection of short stories ranged from sweet, to disturbing, to hilarious, and I really dig her style and storytelling. I really must read A Bride's Story as soon as I can.

The Disappearance of Yuki Nagato volume 4 - Sorta fun, sorta boring, I dunno. Nagato losing her memory and becoming "someone else" was a cool idea that had potential, but I'm not sure it was done very well. At least it was a self-contained story that only lasted this volume. Still, if that new anime is based on this series, I really do hope they change things up a bit to make it more exciting to watch.

Genshiken volumes 1-2 - I didn't know what to expect, but this series is actually quite funny. I hang around nerds like this all the time, and I can relate to some of the stuff here. But really, the jokes are just genuinely funny, the characters likable, and it doesn't go too over-the-top like most manga/animes comedies, which made for a refreshing reading experience. I definitely plan to read more as soon as I can.

Yotsuba&! volumes 1-2 - I bought a Yotsuba volume on sale recently, and on a whim decided to re-read the series since I hadn't read it in quite a while. Just as charming and funny as ever. We need more kid characters like Yotsuba in comics and cartoons. We really do.

Gintama volumes 1-3 - I've been meaning to read this series for a while since it's one of the most popular manga comedies still running right now. I got some good laughs, for sure, but I was disappointed to see traces of battle shonen in this. Now, while I know this series never becomes full on battle shonen, I do know it has serious arc, and personally, I prefer the comedy-focused parts of this series than those more serious ones. But like I said, there were many great bits in these volumes that had me laughing, and I plan to read more whenever I am able to.

Rin-ne volumes 7-9 - I dunno, Rinne just works for me. I find it amusing. Not as much as Urusei Yatsura or Ranma, but still so. And Takahashi does some different things in this series that makes it not feel so much like those works too. Sayaka and Rinne are dramatically different as characters and in their relationship than Ranma/Akane and InuYasha/Kagome, and that makes them more interesting to me, Sayaka moreso because there is an enigmatic quality to her personality as well. Weakest of the 5 long-running Takahashi series, maybe, but I'm enjoying it so far and think I'll continue to enjoy it for a while too.

Hayate, the Combat Butler volumes 1-3 - I decided to try reading this since it's a popular long-running manga comedy and I'm into manga comedies. First chapter was not very strong, but very quickly after that it grew in absurdity and I quickly started enjoying it. I haven't heard the best of things about recent chapters/volumes, but for now I think I'll stick with and enjoy it's silliness.

Rumic Theater volumes 1-2 and Rumic World volume 3 - Collections of Rumiko Takahashi's short stories. Some really interesting, creative, and funny stuff here. A lot of it further cements my belief Takahashi should be writing horror or romantic-comedy seinin series instead of shonen, but alas.

Berserk volumes 22-25 - Y'know, I don't find the introduction of magic that out of place in Berserk, mainly because the last arc in many ways felt like a natural progression to that kind of fantasy territory. Furthermore, I think Serpico, Farnese, Isidro, and Schierke are more interesting characters than the majority of the Band of the Hawk in the Golden Age arc, and Serpico in particular I've grown quite fond with. I still hate how Casca is now. She's a burden to Guts now, whatever, but I miss the strong character she used to be in the Golden Age arc, and from what I've heard Miura does worse things with her in recent volumes. Bleh. Overall I enjoyed these volumes a whole lot, my only issue being the banter between Schieke and Isidro and Puck and that female fairy really annoying and poor comic relief (especially for a series like this), but it's not too bad either. And hey, I really am curious to see what Griffith's plan to get his own kingdom is, especially now that he has a new, demonic Band of the Hawk serving him. That should be something to look forward to, right?

One-Punch Man chapters 1-33 - I created a thread for this and wrote a bunch of shit there, so read that. In short, though, this is just a fun manga with fantastic art and battle scenes that I really think will be a Titan-level hit as soon as it gets an anime.

Ashita no Joe volumes 3-7 - This series is brilliant. On track to being one of my all time favorites. Joe, Danpei, Rikiishi, Nishi...all well-formed and likable characters. It's uplifting, relatable, pulls out some great social satire, boxing satire, and a fantastic character driven sports story. I really feel tension in the matches in this series, from Joe v. Aoyama to Joe v. Rikiishi to Joe v. Wolf. Despite it's age it is a modern story on the level of even Osamu Tezuka's finest manga, imo. The characters especially, I'm vowed by how well-written they are. Puts scores of modern characters in shonen manga to shame. Anyway, more on the topic of the plot and not broad stuff, Rikishi's dedication to lower his weight to bantamweight, despite it being dangerous, maybe deadly, and his skinny body afterwards was a shocking scene for me.  Rikiishi's quarrel with Yoko, training scenes, and that match were some seriously intense stuff. I'm anxious to see how Joe and Rikiishi's re-match will turn out. But yeah, this is one of the best mangas I've ever read and I love it, and I plan to watch the anime once I'm done with the available translations.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Joe and Rikiishi hold what I consider to be the best and most iconic manga/anime rivalry of all time (before this it was Goku and Vegeta for me). Rikiishi's intense weight-loss regimen is some seriously intense stuff. Hajime no Ippo paid tribute to that with Takamura in the Bryan Hawk story arc, which I also recommend checking out, though it's not on the same level as this one. But beyond their second boxing match being downright legendary, it's what comes right after it that makes this one of the greatest series of all-time for me. It delves into some really heavy subject-matter that VERY few shounen series are willing to touch, and even less can pull off right. This series executes it perfectly, and if by the end of Part I this manga doesn't manage to be one of your favorites, then you would clearly be a person who has very different interests than me. But, considering how similar many of our opinions are, I have a good feeling that you'll probably love it just as much as I do.

Seriously, putting Breaking Bad aside, this series puts anything that I'm currently watching or have recently watched, anime or otherwise, to shame, IMO.

I also love the little touches in this manga as well, like how Joe follows Nishi at night and finds out that he's cheating on his weight-management and rightfully punches him right in the stomach for betraying Danpei's trust in him. This manga is full of great little scenes like that, and isn't just fixated on the big picture all of the time, which I feel works in its favor.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 25, 2014, 05:13:29 PM
Seriously, putting Breaking Bad aside, this series puts anything that I'm currently watching or have recently watched, anime or otherwise, to shame, IMO.

Add The Wire alongside Breaking Bad and this is an opinion I can totally second, and I think I am watching and reading  A LOT of great stuff right now.

Joe and Rikiishi hold what I consider to be the best and most iconic manga/anime rivalries of all time (before this it was Goku and Vegeta for me). Rikiishi's intense weight-loss regimen is some seriously intense stuff.

Yeah, I love their rivalry. Right now I think it's on a whole other level than any other I've seen.

I also love the little touches in this manga as well, like how Joe follows Rikiishi at night and finds out that he's cheating on his weight-management and rightfully punches him right in the stomach for betraying Danpei's trust in him. This manga is full of great little scenes like that, and isn't just fixated on the big picture all of the time, which I feel works in its favor.

That was a great moment, especially since it shows the flawed side of a very human character like Nishi while also Joe's loyalty to both Danpei and Nishi. A lot of stories would either not bother with moments like that or otherwise make them a big deal or mini-arc on it's own. Here it's a small scene, but had enough build up and lasted long enough to be an effective, purposeful scene. When small stuff like that is so well-done, it's now wonder the story as a whole is so darn good.  ;)

Avaitor

The local comic book shop has recently received a shitload of Essential books at half-price, so I took the chance to get the 4th Spider-Man. Depending on how well I do at the place's geek trivia game this weekend, I'll probably end up getting even more soon.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

I've been catching up on Unwritten, East to West, and have been reading Lazarus and Velvet since they started. Unwritten makes for a very interesting look at fiction, like how stories like Harry Potter can affect the general public to almost paranormal levels. Though I admit the side characters are often more interesting than the main ones. East to West is pretty cool due to being an apocalyptic western with all sorts of moments going on. Absolutely none of the characters are good people, but the game's in seeing which Horseman of the Apocalypse can outdo the other. It's a shame it's only nine issues in though, but that's the thing with comics. Same with Lazarus and Velvet, since they're extremely good espionage thrillers, but only started late last year. Since it's too early in their runs to properly judge, all I can say is that I love what Rucka and Brubaker do in their respective routes.

gunswordfist

Pharass, have you finished 100 Bullets, Scalped and Criminal?

Ensatsu-ken, did you ever finish Watchmen and Superman Birthright?

Angus, how much of The Walking Dead have you read?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Avaitor

I do need to read more non-super hero comics. Or pretty much, more non-Marvel or DC comics. Although to be fair, I'm mostly reading prose as of late, with only the odd chance to pull out an older Marvel comic of mine.

Actually, I remember getting the first volume of DMZ from a promo a while ago and enjoying it a lot, but I never got around to getting the rest of it. I should change that.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, the comics market outside of Marvel and DC's gotten pretty cool. Especially Image, which has become insanely good over the last few years. Maybe it's a change in editorial, but they've become a publisher I can really sink my teeth into. The only thing that would make it better is if the next Fell finally got released.

Avaitor

I'm always hearing that I should get more into Image, so I'll try to do that.

I need to make a list of comics to try out.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Start with The Walking Dead, if you haven't already.

I LOVE DMZ! I want that to be made into a live action series just so USA can freak out. :D

Avaitor

I didn't win a gift card at geek trivia, but at our monthly comic roundtable, volume 6 was one of many freebies handed out, which I hit up, and I bought volume 5 with my own money today. Almost done with 4 now, so I have plenty of Spidey to go.

Oh, and I got another free essential book from geek trivia- the first Captain Marvel. I'm more familiar with Mrs. Marvel, but hey, I saw an opportunity and I said yes.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Random lists of my favorite characters in certain series:

The Walking Dead:
3. Rick
2. Glenn
1. Carl

Invincible:
2. Mark Grayson
1. Cecil

100 Bullets:
4. Cordova
3. Milo
2. Wylie Times
1. Lono

Scalped:
3. Dashiell Badhorse
2. Early Dino
3. Ragin' Redcrow (probably my favorite new character since...since, whoa, I'd have to go way back. He's my favorite character in this entire list)

LumRanmaYasha

I've started to read Assassination Classroom recently, and I'm about 30 chapters in. It's one of the biggest hits in Weekly Shonen Jump right now; recent rankings have shown it to consistently get #2 behind One Piece nowadays, and last december it was named the #1 choice manga for male readers in a list made by professional manga experts (and this list included seinin titles too). So far, I think it's very amusing. The basic stories in the manga are sort of remind me of Great Teacher Onizuka, in that they involve Koro-sensei helping out students in trouble and getting them to realize their skills and potential. It's not quite as good with those stories because it doesn't go as far or as potent with them as Onizuka does, but it makes up for it with a bizarre sense of humor that I find quite amicable. Korosensei is absolutely hilarious; he's this ultra dangerous and kinda sinister creature, but he has this big goofy grin and octopus-like design and he's so damn friendly and polite that he can't help but be likable, and again, he really cares about his students even though their job is to kill him. I mean, he even encourages them to try their best to kill him. He gives them advice and helps them improve their skills! He's got to be the nicest, coolest villain protagonist ever. I can't say the students stand out that much though, except for Karma and Ritsu, though Nagisa isn't too bad as a major protagonist despite not having that much of a distinct personality. It's really Korosensei's assistant teachers, Bitch-sensei and Karasuma (both of which are also trying to assassinate him) that provide the most memorable moments aside from Korosensei himself, so far. Overall, it's a fun manga so far, though I don't see quite how it's become practically the #2 manga in Jump right now behind OP (though to be fair it's basically neck and neck with Naruto and Toriko, and sometimes Kuroko for that honor). Of course, I have 48 chapters until I catch up, and what I've heard tells me it gets better so I'll see.

One of my focuses right now is to catch up on every ongoing manga that interests me. After I catch up on Classroom I'll tackle Kuroko no Basket which has been long over due for me to read. Aside from that I'm covering my bases with Tezuka and Urasawa, and I'll have some thoughts on what I've been reading of them soon. I plan to read through Black Lagoon before Toonami airs it as I've only read a volume's worth of the manga before, and I want to get through Mushi-shi before the new anime comes in April. Hopefully I can get the free time to do all that, since March'll be a busy month for me...