Reviews & Features Discussion

Started by Foggle, December 27, 2010, 04:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Great first article Avaitor! I personally liked how they established so much of what's going on in Peter's life as well as a lot of problems for Spider-Man right off the bat since it made for a fast paced, addicting watch all the way through. I think it'd be hard for someone not to get interested in the show after watching it. I also agree that Keaton nailed Peter and Spider Man right away and gave him so much personality that I think even those uninitiated with the comics or previous iterations of the franchise could get a firm grasp of his character and some of his nuances right from the start. I personally look forward to seeing more of your comparisons of the show to the comics, since I don't know much about the source material myself.  :)

Avaitor

Fun fact- I actually meant to save that draft, but posted publish instead, and ran with it. :P

I should probably go tag it, but I might edit this post later, depending on how I tackle the other episodes. In hindsight, the review's a little disjointed.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Rynnec

Reading your Mahouka reviews makes me think that Tatsuya and co. are really supposed to be villain protagonists, with Sayaka and the rebels serving as heroic antagonists. Everything I've read and seen of Tatsuya would make for a good villain. I swear, tumblr better be attacking this show hard.

Oh, and when I read that Miyuki is an ice-user who mercilessly freezes her enemies to death, I couldn't help but think of another ice-user with a brother complex...

Dr. Insomniac

Rynnec

QuoteThen, there?s the hot springs scene where all the girls admire Miyuki?s body

;D

Quotebut in a ?Not too gay, because that would be weird? sense.

:unimpressed:

Foggle

LumRanmaYasha

Great work, guys! This seems like a pretty decent season overall. I've heard positive things about the Akame ga Kill!, Barakamon, Blue Spring Ride, and Tokyo Ghoul manga for a while now, so I'm not too surprised their anime adaptions left good first impressions overall. I'm not sure if I'll be keeping up with them, just because I don't think I have the time or interest to keep up with more than two or three new anime a season, and Dandy and Crystal already fill that limit, but I will watch their first episodes later in the week to see if they really grab me. It's good to hear that they are worth the time, though.

Foggle

LumRanmaYasha

You're welcome!  :)

Looks like Sengoku Basara and Terror in Resonance are good as expected. I'll try and check them out soon!

As for Black Butler, while it might be a shonen, I'm 99% positive that the majority of it's fanbase is comprised of teenage girls. It wouldn't be the first time a shonen series is actually more popular with girls instead of boys (take Prince of Tennis, for example). I haven't watched it yet, but from what I've heard, the first episode of this new season was an anime-only episode that basically is like another version of the first episode/chapter of the series, which I suppose is meant to introduce the concept of the show to any newcomers. The actual storyline this series is going to be adapting will probably start next episode. I'm no fan of Black Butler, but I would probably the circus arc the "best" arc in the series, since the mystery behind the circus and the antagonists are fairly interesting, and the ending is really damn disturbing and dark...and while I'm not sure I'd call it good, it's definitely memorable. I'd also say it pretty much confirms that Ciel and Sebastian are really villain protagonists. I'm not going to watch this anime, 'cause I don't like BB enough to ever go through any part of it's story again after I read it once in the manga (except maybe the cricket game...because, well, name one other manga that has a game of cricket in it), but I might check out the last episode or two of this just to see the arc's ending animated.

Dr. Insomniac

I've long since dropped Mahouka because that show's boring to write about. Instead, blast from the anorexic, rose-covered past.

LumRanmaYasha

Any particular reason why you chose to blog about Utena? In any case, I'm sure you'll definitely have a lot to talk and think about with it, unlike Mahouka

I've been meaning to watch this series for a loooong time. Maybe I'll finally start it after I'm done with Planetes.

Dr. Insomniac

None of the shows this season were really clicking for me in terms of blogging potential, and I was really interested in writing about an old show for a change. The original plan was to blog Evangelion, but I decided to do Utena since I never watched all of it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

In terms of reviewing bad anime, I always wanted to do School Days, but unfortunately that would require actually watching it again, which I'm not so inclined to do.

A part of me wanted to do a series for reviewing animated video game adaptations, but most of those are just boring to watch and talk about, rather than being offensively bad.

It'd be nice to tear into series like Naruto or various other shounen that are or have become garbage, but I've long since dropped those series.

So, instead I'll just stick to writing about things that I like. I do still want to write moe AnJ articles, as well as some more Story Arc Online entries.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on July 21, 2014, 02:41:25 PM
None of the shows this season were really clicking for me in terms of blogging potential, and I was really interested in writing about an old show for a change. The original plan was to blog Evangelion, but I decided to do Utena since I never watched all of it.

Sounds like a good change of pace.  :) Do you plan to blog just one episode a week like in the past?

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 21, 2014, 02:46:40 PM

It'd be nice to tear into series like Naruto or various other shounen that are or have become garbage, but I've long since dropped those series.

Considering how awful the pacing for those kinds of series are, I'd think it would be just become boring to write about week after week. Like, even as far as the manga go, I skim over the new chapters in my weekly review in the Currently Running Manga thread, and I barely find anything worthwhile to say about a new Bleach chapter other than "it sucks."  :sweat: