Favorite Films

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, July 01, 2012, 06:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

I've never posted a favorite movie list before, but I might as well do so now.

To be honest, I haven't seen many of the most important/popular movies, like Citizen Kane and Pulp Fiction. I feel that my list is a little lame because of this, although I really, seriously love the movies I consider my top ten favorites. It's the same kind of situation I have with Live-Action television shows, although with that I can't even make a top ten (I can only get up to 7). Dammit I need to watch The Wire already  :sweat:.

Well, going back to the subject of films, I'll still do a top thirty because there are that many films that I respect/have an attachment to at least, but this list will almost certainly and radically change as I watch more movies, especially the most acclaimed and classic ones, in the next few years. Still, don't bash too hard!  ;)

How E-K posted his list on the first page was pretty cool. So I'm gonna shamelessly rip it off!  :sly:

30. -Love makes people do stupid things.
- I love everything!
- That explains a lot.

29. - What can you tell me about clowns?
- In this town, they're never funny.

28. - I promised I'd never let anything happen to him.
- Hmm. That's a funny thing to promise.
- What?
- Well, you can't never let anything happen to him. Then nothing would ever happen to him. Not much fun for little Harpo.

27. - Honey?
- What?
- Where's my super suit?
- What?
- Where - is - my - super - suit?
- I, uh, put it away.
- Where?
- Why do you need to know?
- I need it!
- Uh-uh! Don't you think about running off doing no daring-do. We've been planning this dinner for two months!
- The public is in danger!
- My evening's in danger!
- You tell me where my suit is, woman! We are talking about the greater good!
- 'Greater good?' I am your wife! I'm the greatest good you are ever gonna get!

26. - These aren't just dreams. These are memories. And you said never to use memories
- I know I did.
- You're trying to keep her alive. You can't let her go.
- You don't understand. These are moments I regret, the memories I have to change.

25. - Who's that then?
- I dunno, must be a king.
- Why?
- He hasn't got shit all over him.

24. - It is no concern of mine whether your family has... what was it again?
- Um...food?
- Ha! You should have thought of that before you became peasants!

23. - I'm awfully sorry. I didn't mean to frighten you.
- Oh, it wasn't that. It's just that you're a...a...
- A stranger?
- Mm-hm
- But don't you remember? We've met before.
- We...we have?
- But of course! You said so yourself. Once upon a dream.

22. - Who...are...you?
- Why, I hardly know, sir. I've changed so much since this morning, you see.
- No, I do not see. Explain yourself.
- I'm afraid I can't explain myself, you see, because I'm not myself, you know.
- I do not know.
- I can't put it any more clearly, sir, because it isn't clear to me.

21. - Do you want to know why I use a knife? Guns are too quick. You can't savor all the... little emotions. In... you see, in their last moments, people show you who they really are. So in a way, I know your friends better than you ever did. Would you like to know which of them were cowards?

20. - You can hear a song from a cherry tree? How unbelievable! Since when did they all start behaving like tame sheep? How could this become such an overly sentimental scene? Is this really the same town of Tomobiki that I've lived in for the last seventeen years of my life!?

19. - What do you want me to do, dress in drag and do the hula?

18. - Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.

17. - Smart, aren't you?
- No, not really. I've just had time to think things out. Put myself in your position. That's why I know you're going to agree.
- What makes you think I'll agree?
- For the same reason that a donkey with a stick behind him and a carrot in front always goes forwards and not backwards.
- ...Tell me about the carrot.

16. - You have saved our lives. We are eternally grateful.
- Will you just leave me alone?

15. - Hey, I know a joke! A squirrel walks up to a tree and says, "I forgot to store acorns for the winter and now I am dead." Ha! It is funny because the squirrel gets dead.

14. - How odd that it should end this way for us after so many stimulating encounters. I almost regret it. Where shall I find a new adversary so close to my own level?
- Try the local sewer.

13. - Haven't you heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?
- I don't listen to hip hop.

12. - It doesn't mean I don't care anymore. I don't want to let you down, honest, but... but it just doesn't hurt so bad anymore. You can understand that, can't you? Look, I can give money to the city - they can hire more cops. Let someone else take the risk, but it's different now!
[thunder and lightning]
- Please! I need it to be different now. I know I made a promise, but I didn't see this coming. I didn't count on being happy.
[thunder and lightning]
Please! Tell me that it's okay.
- [enters] Maybe they already have. Maybe they sent me.
[They embrace in the rain]

11. - Quite frankly, I didn't even want to use you guys, with your dip and velcro and all your gear bullshit. I wanted to drop a bomb. But people didn't believe in this lead enough to drop a bomb. So they're using you guys as canaries. And, in theory, if bin Laden isn't there, you can sneak away and no one will be the wiser. But bin Laden is there. And you're going to kill him for me.

10. - Ma'am, do you know the story about being taken to Dragon Palace by a turtle?
- That's how I'm feeling right now.
- How do you suppose it would be, if, instead of just Taro, the entire village had ridden on the turtle's back? If they all went to Dragon Palace, and came back to the village together, would centuries still have passed? Even if none of the villagers noticed?
- What are you talking about?
- Things are a mess fer ya' cause ya think time an' space are objective things. Y'know how time seems to slow down while you're waiting? Fact is, time is simply a creation of yer human consciousness. What if there ain't no human beings anywhere in the world? Wouldn't clocks and calendars be a waste? Maybe there ain't no such thing as time that flows in one direction, from the past to the future, and there never was, don'tcha think, ma'am? Human beings are slipshod to begin with, so there ain't nothing strange 'bout time being slipshod too. If ev'rything  was all hunky-dory, then THAT'd be weird! The only certain thing is the present, which just keeps on flowin' like this. Ain't that the best way to think 'bout it?
- ...Interesting. Maybe I really AM riding a turtle...   
- Want to go to Dragon Palace? I'll give you a discount fare~.

9. - But also at that point of time it was just that unconditional love. You know, for her, she was like, okay, "This man, he loves me."
- This is the part of the female perspective I disagree with. Because it's like then you can say, "Oh yeah, 'cause she loves him so she did this." You know it's like, yeah, but she shouldn't love someone who doesn't treat her right.
- Who treats you so badly.
- Okay? That's her mistake.
- That's...HENCE unconditional love.

8. -  It's perfectly obvious where the pages are. He's given them to Marcus Brody.
- Marcus? You didn't drag poor Marcus along did you? He's not up to the challenge.
- He sticks out like a sore thumb. We'll find him.
-The hell you will. He's got a two day head start on you, which is more than he needs. Brody's got friends in every town and village from here to the Sudan, he speaks a dozen languages, knows every local custom, he'll blend in, disappear, you'll never see him again. With any luck, he's got the grail already.
[Cut to middle of fair in the Middle East, Marcus Brody wearing bright suit and white hat, sticking out like sore thumb]
- Uhhh, does anyone here speak English?

7. - No-one understands me.
- You never understood anything.
- I thought this was supposed to be a world without pain and without uncertainty.
- That's because you thought that everyone else felt the same as you do.
- You betrayed me! You betrayed my feelings!
- You misunderstood from the very beginning. You just believed what you wanted to believe.
- Nobody wants me, so they can all just die.
- Then what is your hand for?
- Nobody cares whether I live or die. Nothing will change... so they can all just die...
- Then what is your heart for?
- It would be better if I never existed. I should just die too.
- Then why are you here?
- Is it OK for me to be here?
[the word "Silence" flashes on the screen and fades away]
- NOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo!

6. - It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to.

5. -It's always difficult to keep personal prejudice out of a thing like this. And wherever you run into it, prejudice always obscures the truth. I don't really know what the truth is. I don't suppose anybody will ever really know. Nine of us now seem to feel that the defendant is innocent, but we're just gambling on probabilities - we may be wrong. We may be trying to let a guilty man go free, I don't know. Nobody really can. But we have a reasonable doubt, and that's something that's very valuable in our system. No jury can declare a man guilty unless it's sure.

4. - If men don't trust each other, this earth might as well be hell.
- Right. The world's a kind of hell.
- No! I don't want to believe that!
- No one will hear you, no matter how loud you shout. Just think. Which one of these stories do you believe?
- None makes any sense.
- Don't worry about it. It isn't as if men were reasonable.

3. -You say that our scarfs and trousers are indecent and that we put on make up, etc. As an art student, I'm often in the studio. I need to move freely in order to draw. A longer scarf will hinder me. As for our trousers, you say they're too wide even though they hide our shape. Since these trousers are in fashion right now, I ask, is religion defending our physical integrity or is it simply opposed to fashion? You criticize us, yet our brothers all have different hair and clothes. Sometimes they wear clothing so tight, we can see their underwear. Why is it that me, as a woman, should their tight clothes have no effect on me, while they should be aroused by a shorter scarf?

2. - Man, you guys ain't had no waffles like these. These waffles are so good, they're like they come from down South. These buttery motherfuckers will melt in your mouth. Man you ain't had no waffles...
- Wait! Bullhorn, what did you just say? You said, 'Melts in your mouth'. Quick...
[erases the restaurant menu blackboard]
- What else melts in your mouth?
- M&M's!
- Exactly. And not in your hands. And who makes M&M's?
- Mars Candy Company make it. Yeah, yeah.
- And Mars is also...
- The Roman God of War.
- Who is the Greek God of War?
- Ares.
- Now, you take Mars and spell it backwards, drop the S.
- Ram. That's right. And ram is the zodialogical sign for Aries. Oh! Now dig. Ares' half-sister is Athena.
- Now you're getting it.
- Whoa, whoa, whoa. Athena, Athens.
- Which is the capital of Greece.
- And as we all know, zodialogical astronomy was created by the Greeks in...
- 785 B.C.
- And 785 is the area code to Topeka. Oh, my God. 785 is the area code to Topeka, Kansas!
-Code Kansas!
- Now take that, spell it backwards and drop the S.
- Snake doc. Snake doctor, yeah!
- Yes. And brothers, who is the Greek Demigod of Medicine who believed that snakes' tongues had mystical healing powers?
- Aesculapius, of course. He had a staff with snakes intertwining all around that bitch. They called it Aesculapius' staff. It's a symbol the medical field uses to this day.
- Now, what legend involving snakes is in both Greek and Roman mythology? Now, come on. It involves Aesculapius' own father.
- Apollo.
- Yeah. Thanks, lady.
- That's right. Apollo slew the serpent at Delphi, which was a big-ass snake.
- And what, brothers, is the biggest snake in the world?
- The South American anaconda.
- What she said.
- Anaconda Malt Liquor!
- And what is the slogan for Anaconda Malt Liquor? Anaconda Malt Liquor gives you...
- WHOOOOO!
- Gives you what?
- WHOOOOO!
- And who else is famous for...
- WHOOOOO! Little Richard!
- Who?
-Little Richard!
- So, what they're really saying is...
- Anaconda Malt Liquor gives you... Little Richard?
-What is another word for Richard?
[The gang look down on their pants]
- Gunsmoke!

1. -  So, bright boy, My guy tells me you looked over my African flesh and you was none too impressed, huh?
- Not for top dollar.
- Well, then, we got nothing more to talk about. You see, you want to buy a beat ass nigger from me, those are the beat ass niggers I want to sell, so...
- He don't wanna buy the niggers you wanna sell. He wants the nigger you don't wanna sell.
- Well, I don't sell the niggers I don't wanna sell.
-Well, you won't sell your best. You won't even sell your second best, but your third best? You don't wanna sell either, but if I made you an offer so ridiculous, you'd be forced to consider it?
[laughs]
- Who knows what could happen?
- And what do you consider "ridiculous?"
- For a truly talented specimen, the right nigger? How much would you say?
- ...12,000 dollars.
-... Gentlemen, you had my curiosity, now you have my attention.

Can anyone guess 'em all?  ;)

Avaitor

I LOVE #1's soundtrack.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Yes, you do need to watch The Wire. ;)

I recognize a lot of these, but can't remember many of the titles (probably because I'm tired). I'll just say that I LOVE your top two picks, though.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Great list! There are a few of those quotes that I'm not aware of (most likely because I haven't seen any of those particular movies that they come from, yet), but for the ones that I do know, those are all very good choices that I can agree with. :thumbup:

Also, Django Unchained is one of the only 2 movies made by Quentin Tarantino that I actually quite enjoyed watching, so that's definitely saying something. That said, my favorite Western (and favorite film in general), is still The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly, which incidentally is one of Tarantino's favorite films of all-time, if I'm not mistaken.

talonmalon333

Tonight I rewatched Pan's Labyrinth. I hadn't seen it in years but it has always been one of my favorites. And seeing it again tonight, that remains unchanged. The movie is phenomenal. It's imaginative and looks stunning. And it's a fairy tale that I think gets even better over time.

I was kind of thinking of this before, but it's even more cemented now. Clip this movie onto the top 10 list I struggled to finish earlier (it and Rear Window would probably be #6 and #7).

Avaitor

How the hell was Duck Soup not in my earlier list?

Speaking of the Marxes, I just saw the MTM ep where Murray raised hell with the station head after he cut off Captain Spaulding in their broadcast of Animal Crackers (GREAT episode btw), and I'm reminded of how I got my best friend a set of their earlier movies for his birthday, to compliment the post-Paramount set he's had for years. We really need to marathon these bad boys.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

Since we're going list crazy, Imma try making a list of my favorite comedies:

1- Clerks
2- City Lights
3- Duck Soup
4- Horse Feathers
5- Chasing Amy
6- Annie Hall
7- The Thin Man + the sequels
8- The Gold Rush
9- Ghostbusters
10- Modern Times
11- It Happened One Night
12- Safety Last!
13- Hot Fuzz

Thirteen seems like a funny number. And I'm probably missing something important.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Good list. I don't know what mine would be. However, my #1 would be a toss up between Hot Fuzz and This is Spinal Tap.

Avaitor

ooh yeah, Spinal Tap is up there too.

I forgot some more screwball classics and there's a handful of more modern films I should have thought about. I dunno, I just love good humor.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on September 23, 2013, 11:05:56 PM
ooh yeah, Spinal Tap is up there too.

I forgot some more screwball classics and there's a handful of more modern films I should have thought about. I dunno, I just love good humor.

The thing about Spinal Tap is that, when I first saw it, I thought it was just, well, funny. Not much more to say about it. But as time went on and I saw it more, I realized how hilarious it is. Today, just mentioning the title alone gets me laughing.

I do think Young Frankenstein deserves an honorable mention for me.

Avaitor

It's crazy how accurate Spinal Tap really is, though.

Steven Tyler is one of a surprisingly long list of rock stars who can't even watch the whole thing because he felt the film was about him.

New blog!

talonmalon333

So I recently got the idea to go through every year of your life, and for every individual year, name the best movie of that year. For example, I was born in 1991. So I will go through every year from 2013 to 1991, and name my choices for best movies of those years.

2013 - Iron Man 3
2012 - Brave
2011 - Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2
2010 - Toy Story 3
2009 - Up
2008 - The Dark Knight/WALL-E (tie)
2007 - Hot Fuzz
2006 - Pan's Labyrinth
2005 - Batman Begins
2004 - Million Dollar Baby
2003 - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
2002 - The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
2001 - The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
2000 - Dancer in the Dark
1999 - American Beauty
1998 - Saving Private Ryan/Ring (tie)
1997 - Titanic
1996 - The Hunchback of Notre Dame
1995 - Toy Story
1994 - The Lion King/Ed Wood (tie)
1993 - Jurassic Park
1992 - Aladdin
1991 - Beauty and the Beast/Terminator 2: Judgement Day (tie)

Feel free to comment. Also, I might have forgotten some movies.

Avaitor

I'd just make it easy and say each year that Tarantino and Wes Anderson released their films, those would be my films of the year.

Which would make choosing for 2012 and 2009 super hard.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Great list! Mine would look like:

2013 - The World's End, but Madoka Rebellion comes very, very, VERY close.
2012 -  Django Unchained
2011 - The King's Speech
2010 - Toy Story 3
2009 - Black Dynamite
2008 - Sita Sings the Blues
2007 - Persepolis
2006 - Paprika (this is kinda by default. I haven't seen a good movie from 2006 yet...)
2005 - Batman Begins
2004 - The Incredibles
2003 - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
2002 - The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
2001 - The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
2000 - The Emperor's New Groove
1999 - South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
1998 - The Big Lebowski
1997 - The End of Evangelion
1996 - Hamlet
1995 - Toy Story

No-Personality

Quote from: talonmalon333 on December 07, 2013, 01:27:13 AMSo I recently got the idea to go through every year of your life, and for every individual year, name the best movie of that year.
Hmmm. A lot of years will wind up being blank, as I mentioned that I blanked out on pop culture for almost all of 2001-today. But I think I've got the 80's and 90's pretty well sewn-up:

1999 - Audition
1998 - Run Lola Run
1997 - Jackie Brown
1996 - Fargo
1995 - Welcome to the Dollhouse
1994 - Serial Mom
1993 - The Piano
1992 - Dead Alive (aka- Braindead)
1991 - Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead (this year is more than a little overrated and in my opinion, Hollywood beat the crap out of the Art films- Truth or Dare and Naked Lunch are okay but Hollywood just turned in better product; to date- I haven't seen Terminator 2)
1990 - Edward Scissorhands
1989 - Batman
1988 - Killer Klowns from Outer Space
1987 - Opera
1986 - Aliens
1985 - The Return of the Living Dead
1984 - Ghostbusters
1983 - Videodrome
1982 - Creepshow
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,