Nickelodeon's Live Action

Started by Commode, January 16, 2011, 01:10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

So I finally bothered to watch an episode of Victorious, the one that was a Breakfast Club homage...

...the fuck was that shit?

Avaitor

Aww, I liked that one.

YOU'RE SO CONCEITED, TORI! YOU'RE SO CONCEITED.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Kiddington

The 90's Are All That's respective Facebook and Twitter pages have been teasing us an awful lot lately when it comes to Legends. This is about the 3rd or 4th time in a week that they've mentioned it; case and point, this.

I'd like to believe they might possibly be airing it at some point in the near future, but unfortunately they do this all the time, so I'm not getting my hopes up. This is one thing I find very annoying about their social media pages; they acknowledge many of these shows on a pretty regular basis, yet a good 70-80% they don't even air. I mean, when was the last time Legends was on? It has to be a few months, at least.

Avaitor

October, to be exact.

Oh, and SYS won, thankfully. It shall air this weekend, and hopefully this won't be the last we see from Stick in a while.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Kiddington

Well here's something I wasn't expecting to see today; The Amanda Show is now on DVD.

Don't get too excited, though; it's just that Create Space thing on Amazon, so you won't be seeing these on store shelves. Also, for whatever reason, Season 1 is not a complete set, while Seasons 2 and 3 are (?). They did the same thing with the final season on the old Doug sets, so I assume for whatever reason they couldn't locate all of the episodes.

You know, I will admit; if I had more money, I'd be oddly tempted. The sets are all pretty cheap, and this show, while it doesn't do much for me now, is still nostalgic. I probably wouldn't buy them, but the thought did briefly cross my mind.

Also, on an unrelated note, SYS did win U-Pick this week. I'd say it's a good chance for me to finally give that one another shot; hoping I like it a little better this time around.

Avaitor

"Amanda Bynes' Classic Nick show"

lol no

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

It's like anything made over ten years ago is considered a classic now.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

The guys who label classics nowadays have short attention spans, I guess.

Avaitor

I mean, there's gotta be a line. I Love Lucy and Heaven and Hell are classics. Friends and Hybrid Theory aren't.

New blog!

Kiddington

Well, Dave Lambert also called Wild Thornberrys and CatDog a "classic" in past news breaks, so I guess his line isn't as fine as it should be.

Avaitor

I'll make that line. Anything past 1996 should be scrutinized before being considered a Nickelodeon classic.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on March 22, 2012, 08:31:38 PM

I'll make that line. Anything past 1996 should be scrutinized before being considered a Nickelodeon classic.
Even a few before then.

I really like a lot of Nicktoons, but compared to CN and Disney's '90s output, they were an easy third place to me as a whole.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Quote from: Avaitor on March 22, 2012, 08:31:38 PM

Hey, now there's a discussion idea! This thread has been pretty dead lately as it is anyway, so let's have it.

What would you guys consider a "modern" Nickelodeon classic? This is going by Avaitor's rule of anything made past 1996. For me personally, without using the term "classic" as liberally as possible, the only one I'd go as far to say that qualifies is pre-movie Spongebob (1999-2004). I could throw in a few debatable options (Hey Arnold, Angry Beavers, Zim, etc.), but that's probably a stretch. And even though I've said numerous times in the past that I have absolutely no shame in admitting I like My Life as a Teenage Robot, it's far from a classic.

So yeah, what say you guys? Agree, disagree? What are your choices for modern Nick classics, if any at all?

Spark Of Spirit

Angry Beavers and Avatar. That's pretty much it.

Angry Beavers for being highly an unpredictable and stunningly original comedy when most Nicktoons were simply not funny at the time, and avatar for being highly ambitious and pretty much succeeding despite a few weaker moments.

Kiddington

I actually forgot to mention Avatar. Now I'm embarrassed. O_o

Nah, but really; while I'm probably not as crazy about as most people ("best thing Nick has ever done" is something I continue to disagree with), I would consider it a classic as well. Now unless I'm forgetting something else - and I don't think I am - that's probably it for me.