Kill la Kill

Started by Foggle, October 03, 2013, 03:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Il

Having a major issue with the English casting of Senketsu. I... don't know. Perhaps it'll grow on me. Everyone else seems reasonably okay, though.

According to killlakill.com, this is their pricing (rightstuf.com) as follows:
(Keep in mind this is only volume 1 = 4 episodes!)

Limited Edition $59.98
Contains: Blu-ray, DVD and Soundtrack CD, Double-sided Poster, Postcard Set

Blu-ray $39.98

DVD $29.98

Released July 15.

I knew this was going to be expensive.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

*Sigh* Oh, Aniples, why is it that you still live in the early 2000's when it comes to your anime distribution?

This is FUNimation should also be in charge of all anime distribution. They have learned a long time ago that 90% of anime fans cannot afford nor WANT to buy 3-4 episode releases for $30 a piece. Hence why we get season-long box sets for about $40-$60 (depending on the length of the series and quality of the packaging and bonus content), as in something that more people can actually afford. This business model has proven to work as clearly FUNi is still in business by having sold multiple times more by charging less and selling in bulk. They still turned a profit of some sort for most releases. Meanwhile, Geneon, ADV, and Media Blasters were much slower to change and....well, yeah, those companies aren't really around anymore for a reason. Aniplex may have stronger financial backing, which is probably a major reason for shy it managed to survive like this, and they admittedly have the licenses to several quality anime properties, but the fact that they haven't changed their ways at all must mean that their products are selling enough, I presume. Which, of course, begs the question: Who the hell are you rich ass-holes who keep supporting these shitty business practices and ruining it for the rest of us? :anger:

Foggle

Aniplex of America is the reason for US anime fans to own Region B or Free blu-ray players and stimulate the United Kingdom's economy. Garden of Sinners aside (DVD-only because Aniplex sucks hard), it is literally cheaper to buy an entirely separate BD player, the connections necessary to use it in America, and one UK box set than it is to purchase a single full series from AoA.

There is no excuse for this. And anyone who defends their business practices is insane.

Daxdiv

I mean, I know Aniplex is probably afraid of reverse importation, since they don't want what we get to go back to Japan, since it would be cheaper for Japanese fans to import out shit & also get another audio track out of it.  I mean... why else would they have this on their product pages on the Rightsuf store?

QuoteDue to licensing and contract restrictions, this product can be sold and shipped to the US, Canada, Central America, and South America only. This product cannot be shipped to Japan. All sales are final. It may be returned for an exchange if defective, but unfortunately we are unable to offer refunds.

Considering how home video in Japan is a different beast than say what we do here in the States, since home video purchases are mostly for the otaku crowd and most people just rent their shit (I.E. Dogasu does that for his Pokemon comparison site since Pokemon doesn't really have all that much as home video to own back in Japan, compared to America).  Even with that...I still can't justify spending all that money on KLK. Sure, I might wanna drop that much money on a figurine of Ryuko or something, since at least I can have that on my shelf next to say Monkey D. Luffy or Wild Tiger figurines and take all kinds of crazy pictures whenever I'm bored, but this... not so much.

Eddy

I caved in and pre-ordered the Limited Edition. It's expensive as hell but at least if I space it out I can deal with it without it feeling like I'm spending a fortune all at once. I didn't get into Madoka until after it was all released so I can't buy it now without feeling like I'm spending a lot. But dammit, I want Kill la Kill on Bluray.

LumRanmaYasha

The price of the first regular, non-limited edition blu ray of the KLK is the same damn price I am paying for each Ranma 1/2 blu ray set, but each of those have 23 episodes and these have only 4. And I've only got a $50 maximum monthly discretionary spending budget. So...fuck this shit. I don't care about getting all of KLK that I'll waste money I could use to buy up multiple other shows or manga, much less stuff that's actually important.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Should I also mention how from FUNimation, you could buy all 112 episodes of Yu Yu Hakusho in 4 box-sets containing 28 episodes each for under $100 in total? Meanwhile, KLK is a 24-episode series that will ultimately cost at least twice that amount to purchase the whole entire thing. Why would I want to even spend money on this when I could just watch the series on CR whenever I want to?

The Shadow Gentleman

My Collectors Edition of Lawrence of Arabia, which includes 3 Blu Ray discs with exclusive bonus material, a thick coffee table book, a soundtrack CD with previously unreleased tracks, and a mounted film cell cost about the same as two of Aniplex of America's Kill la Kill DVDs discs. Or one copy of the Limited Edition.

A company that outright refuses to adapt to different markets is a company that doesn't deserve to be supported by anyone.

Rynnec

What could have been.

Well, that explains the Starch Bullet.

LumRanmaYasha

Well, I'm glad they changed their minds about that. The direction the show took was much more interesting than that prison arc sounded.

LumRanmaYasha

LumRanmaYasha

Eddy

The OVA is now officially out in Japan but has yet to see subs. I went and watched it RAW anyway and I loved it and was able to get the gist of what was happening despite not knowing Japanese.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'll just wait for subs, but I'm definitely interested in checking it out.

Lord Il

Oh heck, I'll just put this here. It deserves recognition..  ;D

Ryuko Matoi's Scissor Blade (Kill la Kill) - MAN AT ARMS: REFORGED

Really badass method for making some of the raw material for it!