Most Anticipated Movies

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 14, 2013, 08:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I can definitely see this be the last Die Hard with Bruce Willis. A reboot is sadly likely at some point, but at least Willis' interest in keeping his portrayal as John McClane alive has prevented any previous attempt from happening.

I still haven't seen the fifth, but I probably should before this one. I want to get the recent Nakamoto Tower set, but since it's going to be incomplete now, maybe I should hold off on that.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

My top 10 most anticipated films of 2016.

10. The Disaster Artist- I'm really afraid of James Franco trying to be too ironic and that he'll make it hard to appreciate the disturbing brilliance of The Room, but it was between putting this, Finding Dory, or one of the DC movies on this list. And I am far more likely to see this in theaters. I just hope that he does a good Wiseau, and that his brother is believable as Greg Sestero.
9. Kubo and the Two Strings- Laika are one of the best animation studios around, and this looks like a strong addition to their canon. I'm pretty excited.
8. X-Men: Age of Apocalypse- This is a little lower, since I'm not a big Apocalypse fan, and the design that has been released for him was... yeah. But ever since Bryan Singer came back, the X-Men franchise has been on a roll. First Class was the kick in the pants that they needed, while The Wolverine was the solo Wolvie movie that he deserved, and Days of Future Past was a perfect blend between the old and new in the franchise. I can't wait to see what this adds.
7. Moana- To make up for skipping a WDAS feature i 2015 to have double the Pixar, we're getting two animated classics from the studio this year. this is coming from Musker & Clements, and if Hercules and Treasure Planet are the worst that they can do (don't you dare put Great Mouse Detective into that equation), I think that we're bound to have something good here from them. Their last princess movie was one of my favorites, and from what I've been gathering, this is shaping up to be nearly as special as Little Mermaid, Aladdin, and Princess and the Frog.
6. Zootopia- I'm a little more excited for this, since the ad campaign for it has been pretty clever, and we haven't had a good animal-lead DAC since Lion King. Bolt was cute, but this is looking to be much better. I hope so, anyway.
5. Dr. Strange- I'm not crazy about having Benedict Cumberbatch as Strange, since it seems too obvious, and not necessarily in a good way. But considering that it's still a great character and that the MCU's only true misses thus far have been Iron Man 2 and AOS, I'm still pretty optimistic,
4. Untitled Wes Anderson Stop-Motion Movie- So I don't know if we're getting it this year or not, but he's a great filmmaker and his previous stop-motion film was out of this world. I sure hope that we get it soon.
3. Kung-Fu Panda 3- This is coming out pretty soon, and it's looking to be a great continuation of Dreamworks' first or second best franchise (it depends on where I feel like placing HTTYD that day). The marketing could use some help, though, since it seems to be falling under the radar heavily.
2. Deadpool- Even if it gets a little too kitschy for its own good, this is still going to be a lot of fun, and Ryan Reynolds seems to has Deadpool down. I just hope that the serious elements that makes the character whole isn't forgotten.
1. Captain America: Civil War- Duh.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Let's see:

Anticipating:

X-Men: Apocalypse- Great cast, and Bryan Singer has done right by this franchise every time he's involved with it

Deadpool- It just looks like a ton of fun

Captain America: Civil War- The third installment to the best superhero film series ever

Doctor Strange- Admittedly I know nothing about the character, but I think that Cumberbatch could make for an interesting lead, and I really like Scott Derickson's background as a horror director

Kung-Fu Panda 3- It looks pretty solid

Zootopia- This one has managed to pique my interest

The BFG- It has a very classic Spielberg vibe to it based on what I've heard and read about it so far

Rogue One- It might be interesting

The Jungle Book- This has a stellar cast, and Jon Favreau has proven that he can make great children's fantasy movies twice before

The Nice Guys- It looks like prime Shane Black material

Worried about:

Batman v. Superman and Suicide Squad- DC's current track record doesn't exactly instill me with much confidence

Avaitor

Oh, and I forgot about this

What a great combination of animation! Definitely interested.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 30, 2015, 12:07:08 PM
If this ends up being the plot for the final Die Hard movie, I actually think I'm really looking forward to it.

For one, bookending the series with John McClane looking back on his past and moving to the future is a good idea for the last movie in the series. Another is Len Wiseman as director is the best possible idea. He is the only one other than McTiernan that understood the Die Hard appeal, directing the fourth film, and would parallel the original trilogy which McTiernan directed the first and third but not the second film.

Also, it is a chance to have a '70s cop movie style Die Hard which hasn't been done yet. We've had 80s style with the original, 90s style with the third, and modern style with the fourth, so instead of repeating itself like 2 and 5 did, this is the best place to mine for new material. Not to mention it would be a good way to close off the family arc he's been in since movie 4. He has his son and daughter back, now he needs to reunite with his family together again and looking back to where it started might help.

To quash any doubts, back when 4 came out it was always the plan to end the series with 6 films. This will be the last Die Hard movie short of Hollywood ruining it with a reboot in three years or something. I hope the series gets the send off it deserves.
I still need to read the comic. Whoa, I didn't think it would get acknowledged for a film plot. Now I need to pick it up. I do hope they tie in the family arc I've been hearing you talk about (still haven't watched past 3 myself.)

Was Live Free Or Die Hard really that good? I liked the 2nd Underworld movie but Wiseman seems like such a step down from McTiernan. Hopefully I can legally get my hands on the unrated version.

If they make Die Hard 6 good then I wouldn't mind a sequel or 2 starring the prequel actor.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Live Free or Die Hard was pretty good. I'd be lying if I said that it's up there with the first or third, but it's worth a viewing if you get the chance.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Live Free or Die Hard was a really good Die Hard movie. The sequence with the jet was a bit out there for this series, but everything else was classic John McClane in over his head action. Also the choice of making it a sort of techno thriller makes it way different than any of the others and the bad guys (like Olyphant) were pretty good threats.

Len Wiseman's work hasn't been to my style but with Live Free he went above his usual stuff and delivered a really good action movie. It's certainly much better than 2 was. And yes, get the unrated edition. I saw it in the cinema when it came out and the obvious cuts were the worst aspect of the movie.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Yippee Kiyay Mother--

:D Thanks. I'll definitely hunt that down whenever I can. I might marathon the series.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

Avaitor

New blog!

Daxdiv

THE POWER OF PAIN COMPELS YOU! *Slap*

I can't wait to see if this will be yet another Fant4stic in the making.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've heard that Paul Feig is a talented director of comedy films. Perhaps he is, but even talented people can fuck up, and this looks like what probably happened here.

I do want to address the atrocious use of the "sexism" argument that some people use to defend any criticisms of this trailer. People are criticizing it because it's awful, and completely misses the point of what made the original Ghostbusters such a classic. It has nothing to do with the all-female cast (which I'm honestly indifferent to).

Foggle

It looks genuinely awful, but then again, most trailers for comedy films suck. Not sure I'm willing to give this one the benefit of the doubt, though; even if it ends up being a good movie, it's still fairly unnecessary, just like Ghostbusters 2 was. And if it's successful, I can already smell the stench of "Ghostbusters Cinematic Universe" looming on the horizon...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I might have been willing to give it the benefit of the doubt if the trailer didn't market it as a sequel to the old films (which it's totally not; it's part of a rebooted continuity). The fact that it straight up misleads you into thinking that reeks of desperation from the studio, and hints that the people behind the scenes have little to no faith in the project.