Most Anticipated Movies

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 14, 2013, 08:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on March 08, 2016, 09:18:13 PM
It looks genuinely awful, but then again, most trailers for comedy films suck. Not sure I'm willing to give this one the benefit of the doubt, though; even if it ends up being a good movie, it's still fairly unnecessary, just like Ghostbusters 2 was. And if it's successful, I can already smell the stench of "Ghostbusters Cinematic Universe" looming on the horizon...

I still found Ghostbusters 2 highly enjoyable for what it was. I don't care what anyone else says. Just like Batman Returns, it may be flawed as a sequel, but it's still a fun movie.

Spark Of Spirit

Ghostbusters 2 was solid for what it was. This looks like, well, Pixels-style comedy. And that's not something I enjoy.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/419679-exclusive-paul-feig-confirms-ghostbusters-cinematic-universe-plans

I WAS FUCKING JOKING WHY IS THIS REAL

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 08, 2016, 09:24:16 PM
I might have been willing to give it the benefit of the doubt if the trailer didn't market it as a sequel to the old films (which it's totally not; it's part of a rebooted continuity). The fact that it straight up misleads you into thinking that reeks of desperation from the studio, and hints that the people behind the scenes have little to no faith in the project.
Absolutely. The trailer suffers from an identity crisis, as it seems to posture itself as both a reboot and a sequel simultaneously.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 08, 2016, 09:26:33 PM
I still found Ghostbusters 2 highly enjoyable for what it was. I don't care what anyone else says. Just like Batman Returns, it may be flawed as a sequel, but it's still a fun movie.
Hey, I like Ghostbusters 2! All I'm trying to say is that, even if this new one ends up being amazing, it still won't feel like it has much reason to exist.

And Batman Returns is a masterpiece. :P

Dr. Insomniac

Freaks & Geeks is cool, and I thought the half of Bridesmaids I watched was all right. Not really excited overall though.

I'm still humored over how they filmed part of the movie over here in Chinatown, but added more Chinese symbols all over the buildings because they thought Chinatown didn't look Chinese enough.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on March 08, 2016, 09:31:23 PM
http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/419679-exclusive-paul-feig-confirms-ghostbusters-cinematic-universe-plans

You really didn't know?  :D

Amazing that Harold Ramis was trying to make Ghostbusters 3 for decades, then right after he dies they go all in with this dog's breakfast.

Just consider the game Ghostbusters 3 and move on. I already do.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The insistance of Hollywood on wanting to turn every major franchise into a cinematic universe is simultaneously hilarious and sad. It makes sense for Marvel and DC because the source material that they're adapting takes place in a shared continuity itself, and that connectivity between their heroes is actually important to certain story-lines that they want to tell.

It doesn't make sense, nor is it even interesting, to see other movies or series that were clearly meant to be stand-alone or linear affairs turn into expanded universes. I mean, I can kind of see Star Wars working this way since it takes place in such a large galaxy, and stuff like KOTOR, Jedi Knight, and the Thrawn Trilogy prove that an expanded lore can work if handled by good writers. But on the other side of the spectrum, why is Disney trying to force an expanded Universe of classic fairy-tale Disney characters down our throats? Who the hell asked for something like that in the first place? And the only classic Universal monster crossovers that I ever wanted to see happened more than half a century ago with the Abbott and Costello movies. I don't need to see anything beyond that.

Foggle

Right, Marvel and DC - even Star Wars and X-Men - those all make sense. But you can't expect to replicate that success, either commercially or creatively, with just any series... if it feels forced, it's all over. Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe is a truly horrible idea, and Ghostbusters Cinematic Universe is even worse.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 08, 2016, 09:36:06 PM
I probably just forgot, to be honest. I don't have the best memory. :(

Dr. Insomniac

I'm just waiting for the producers to say screw it and mine Real Ghostbusters or Extreme Ghostbusters scripts for some on-the-fly spinoff film.

gunswordfist

:light: ! I thought you knew!
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on March 08, 2016, 09:33:45 PM
Freaks & Geeks is cool, and I thought the half of Bridesmaids I watched was all right. Not really excited overall though.

I'm still humored over how they filmed part of the movie over here in Chinatown, but added more Chinese symbols all over the buildings because they thought Chinatown didn't look Chinese enough.
:whuh:
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on March 08, 2016, 09:51:46 PM
I'm just waiting for the producers to say screw it and mine Real Ghostbusters or Extreme Ghostbusters scripts for some on-the-fly spinoff film.
:o I'd love that!!
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daxdiv

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 08, 2016, 09:13:25 PM
I've heard that Paul Feig is a talented director of comedy films. Perhaps he is, but even talented people can fuck up, and this looks like what probably happened here.

I do want to address the atrocious use of the "sexism" argument that some people use to defend any criticisms of this trailer. People are criticizing it because it's awful, and completely misses the point of what made the original Ghostbusters such a classic. It has nothing to do with the all-female cast (which I'm honestly indifferent to).

I also liked how people complained about the racism because of the way the black girl acted. Well, my memories of Ghostbusters are spotty at best, but I don't remember Winston being that much of a racial stereotype like what her's face was in this trailer. Token, I'll concede that point, but tokens and stereotypes are 2 different things. Also that and I saw people complain that she wasn't scientist, (Which does fall in line with the fact that Winston wasn't a scientist himself, he was just some average Joe looking for a job "If there's a steady paycheck in it, I'll believe anything you say.") Even the actress went out of her way to say people would have complained about it if she was the wrong kind of scientist.

Really, it's kinda like Annie and Fantastic 4 2.0, where people hide behind the claims of racism/sexism thinking that will deflect any/most of the common criticism that wasn't based on race/gender/etc. of the people involved.

Foggle

Quote from: Daxdiv on March 09, 2016, 05:53:30 PM
I also liked how people complained about the racism because of the way the black girl acted. Well, my memories of Ghostbusters are spotty at best, but I don't remember Winston being that much of a racial stereotype like what her's face was in this trailer. Token, I'll concede that point, but tokens and stereotypes are 2 different things. Also that and I saw people complain that she wasn't scientist, (Which does fall in line with the fact that Winston wasn't a scientist himself, he was just some average Joe looking for a job "If there's a steady paycheck in it, I'll believe anything you say.") Even the actress went out of her way to say people would have complained about it if she was the wrong kind of scientist.
The new movie isn't exactly racist, but in terms of stereotypes, Patty's portrayal certainly feels like a huge step back from Winston's in the first two films... which were made in the 80's. Not only was Winston not a racial caricature, it's important to remember that in the original Ghostbusters script, before the studio diminished his role in the film, Winston was not only a scientist but also the smartest character, and the recent video game confirmed that he did indeed have a PhD of his own. While Patty would fit right in in an Adam Sandler movie, Aykroyd & Ramis' intended version of Winston would actually have been an exceptionally progressive character for 1984. And I mean, even if one didn't find stereotypes in the trailer eyebrow-raising, could they really argue that "AWW HELL NAW" wasn't one of the absolute worst parts of it? This character somehow looks like the worst part of a 1980's comedy reboot that also features Kristen Wiig. That's no small feat.

Daxdiv

I just saw the international trailer for the new Ghostbusters and Jesus Christ, it's almost as bad as the first one. I loved how they changed "Four Scientist" to "Four Friends" and that crowd surfing scene with Patty. Wew Lad.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 08, 2016, 09:36:06 PM

Amazing that Harold Ramis was trying to make Ghostbusters 3 for decades, then right after he dies they go all in with this dog's breakfast.

Just consider the game Ghostbusters 3 and move on. I already do.

Yeah, the video game WAS Ghostbusters 3. Murry and Ramis are in it with the others, its all you need. This was likely pushed forward because of Amy Paschal, because she thinks it will be a smash simply because they cast women in it. Well, problem is if this fails it just might well cause a lot of actually good female led movies to fall by the wayside. Hollywood always plays the blame game.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I sense a Capcom-style response if this movie fails. The studio will blame it on the female cast, rather than acknowledge that people just don't want to pay to watch a shitty movie.

gunswordfist

I wonder how much the game costs now..
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody