Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 14, 2013, 08:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

Avaitor

Machete Kills tomorrow.

Fuck to the yeah.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

So who else here is going to be seeing the next Hobbit, which premiers next Friday?

I'll admit that I wasn't impressed by the first film from last year, but I do look forward to seeing the continuation of the story. It's really nice to be taken back to Middle Earth.

Spark Of Spirit

The next one will probably be covering the majority of the book (instead of just 6 chapters like the first), and covering the best parts so I'll be interested.

Also, I liked the first one, but fully admit it was way too long.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

I too liked the first one. I just wasn't blown away by it, like how I was with the Lord of the Rings films.

I won't be surprised if this movie covers most of the rest of the story, and the third film will be largely original to segue into the original trilogy.

Spark Of Spirit

The thing is, The Hobbit is a much-lighter and more straightforward book than the LOTR trilogy. It has many themes and meanings underneath the surface, but it's nowhere near as dense as the trilogy is. That's why I always thought stretching it into three films was odd when it would have easily fit two 2 hour movies without fuss.

But I'll still see them all. The Hobbit is one of my favorite books, after all.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 08, 2013, 09:35:46 PM
The thing is, The Hobbit is a much-lighter and more straightforward book than the LOTR trilogy. It has many themes and meanings underneath the surface, but it's nowhere near as dense as the trilogy is. That's why I always thought stretching it into three films was odd when it would have easily fit two 2 hour movies without fuss.

That's why I can't see them actually doing it, and why I imagine the majority of part 3 being mostly new material.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on December 08, 2013, 09:45:48 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 08, 2013, 09:35:46 PM

That's why I can't see them actually doing it, and why I imagine the majority of part 3 being mostly new material.
The second movie ending with Smaug implies that either the last movie is the battle of the 5 armies alone (which would be incredibly tiring at 3 hours) or a lot of other material like maybe more to do with the Necromancer and the fallout from that leading to LOTR. Otherwise, well, it'll have more padding than the first movie did without question.

Spark Of Spirit

I changed the title to remove the year because I figure we should have a general thread.

That said, I as reading the Wikipedia entry for "The Illustrated Man" by Ray Bradbury and came across this:

QuoteDirector Zack Snyder is attached to direct, at least in part, a film adaptation of three stories from The Illustrated Man: "The Illustrated Man," "Veldt," and "Concrete Mixer." Screenwriter Alex Tse is writing the screenplay.
Oh wait, this doesn't belong in this thread. Never mind.  :sweat:

talonmalon333

Is anyone here anticipating Star Wars Episode VII? If so, what are your thoughts on it so far?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm not. I don't have much faith in the director given his previous work, and while I would love for a new Star Wars film to be great, I've been let down so much by the prequel trilogy that the trailer will literally need to make this look like the best movie ever in order to get me interested in seeing it.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 16, 2014, 10:34:11 PM
I'm not. I don't have much faith in the director given his previous work, and while I would love for a new Star Wars film to be great, I've been let down so much by the prequel trilogy that the trailer will literally need to make this look like the best movie ever in order to get me interested in seeing it.

J.J. Abrams? You were a fan of one of the Star Trek movies though, right?

Also, at the very least, it does seem like they are trying to rekindle the spirit of the original trilogy rather than the prequels (bringing back Luke, Leia and Han, favoring real locations and practical effects over excessive CGI usage on everything, etc.). And Lucas is being kept far enough away, in contrast to the total control he had over the prequels.

Spark Of Spirit

I liked the first Star Trek. Heard the second one was a huge disappointment, so I haven't bothered with it.

I'm so burned out on Star Wars that the trailer will have to be absolutely incredible (like the first LOTR trailer) in order for me to even give it a look.

talonmalon333

I will say that, overall, I'm not exactly excited about it, either. I'm just going to see how it plays out.