Most Anticipated Movies

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 14, 2013, 08:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Of all the reboots they've done, I'm not sure why Jurassic Park hasn't been one of them. At least it would be different from the original in that it would closer to the book.

Nobody likes any of the sequels at all. I'm not sure why anyone thinks this new one will be any better.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

It might just be as Avaitor said. People seem to have forgotten the sequels.

I'm more interested in Star Wars, myself.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Speaking of Michael Chrichton books, I feel that Congo and Timeline each deserve another shot at actually having proper adaptations that follow the source material. It would be great to see a new Jurassic Park movie that was also more faithful to the book, but at least that one got a good movie to begin with, even if the story was totally different.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on December 01, 2014, 03:27:41 PM
Speaking of Michael Chrichton books, I feel that Congo and Timeline each deserve another shot at actually having proper adaptations that follow the source material. It would be great to see a new Jurassic Park movie that was also more faithful to the book, but at least that one got a good movie to begin with, even if the story was totally different.
I like both the movie and the book even though they're pretty different, but outside of that movie, none of his other books have made good movies at all. Which is a shame, because if done right, they would make really fun thrillers.

Unfortunately, since he died nobody really seems interested in his properties at all.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think that you need someone more visionary and grandiose like Spielberg to properly adapt his books into films, because most of them are very grand and imaginative stories. With JP,  even though the story was different and the characters were portrayed differently than in the book, it still felt like it captured the spirit of the novel. Neither Congo nor Timeline, on the other hand, felt the least bit like the source material, in terms of either the tone or the scope.

gunswordfist

i've kind of been wanting to read the book.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on December 01, 2014, 07:59:19 PM
i've kind of been wanting to read the book.
It's a fun adventure book with a lot of cool ideas. If you're only familiar with the movie I think you'll be a fan of the differences between the two of them.

gunswordfist

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

My Top 10 Most Anticipated Movies Of 2015:

Cautiously Optimistic:

10. The Hateful Eight- Not a Tarantino fan, but I really enjoyed his last 2 films

9. Star Wars: The Force Awakens- The prequels burned me out, but at the end of the day it's still Star Wars, and I'm going to see it no matter what.

8. A Silent Voice- Based on the best manga from last year

7. Chappie- District 9 was excellent, but Elysium clearly suffered from a lot of studio meddling; either way, I have faith in the director

6. Mission Impossible 5- Ghost Protocol rejuvenated the franchise, but since the director of that film will have his hands tied with another project, I have to keep my expectations in check; speaking of which....

5. Tomorrowland- Done by the director of MI 4; admittedly I know very little about the film, but the concept intrigues me

4. Ant-Man- On the one hand, it's Marvel, but on the other hand, no Edgar Wright leaves me a bit troubled....

Already Sold:

3. Spectre- Skyfall did for 007 what Ghost Protocol did for MI, except that this movie will actually retain the same director

2. Avengers: Age of Ultron- The first movie isn't nearly my favorite Marvel movie, but what so many naysayers failed to appreciate was what an excellent turning point and set-up it was for all future MCU films; now take Joss Whedon,  a director who knows how to up the stakes in story progression and characters (see: Buffy, Angel, Firefly/Serenity); this second film is perfect in tone, being as epic as the first movie, but far more in-depth and nuanced with its ensemble cast

1. The Boy and the Beast- Mamoru Hosoda is 3 for 3, and his 3 animated feature films are each among my favorite animated movies of all time; this is quite simply a no-brainer for me

Spark Of Spirit

Brad Bird doing a movie is a day one for me. I still have to see his MI even if I'm not a fan of the series. Marvel and Mamoru Hasoda are no-brainers for me, too.

Otherwise I'm cautious about everything else.

gunswordfist

jupiter rising and the kingsmen look good.

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

Dr. Insomniac

Didn't know that Brienne of Tarth would play a Stormtrooper in Episode VII. Interesting.

Avaitor

Real talk though- who cares about the new Star Wars, when we got the Hateful Eight teaser today?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/