Most Anticipated Movies

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 14, 2013, 08:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Kill Bill is his weakest in my eyes. The action is out of this world, but the story itself does nothing for me, and the Bride is the flat-ist protagonist this side of Katniss Everdeen.

I've actually grown to like Death Proof a little more each year, after being ambivalent to it at first. It's a pretty clever experiment, and it shows some of Tarantino's charms in writing character. It's still low-tier to me, but that doesn't necessarily make it a dud.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Kill Bill's probably my favorite mostly because I'm a sucker for seeing Japanese revenge flicks fused with Spaghetti Western. It was also my first Tarantino movie, so I might be a little biased there. Still remains a sore spot that Tarantino never went through with Volume 3.

Foggle

I think of Grindhouse like this:

Planet Terror is the kind of movie people wanted to see when they went to a grindhouse film; Death Proof is the kind of movie they actually saw when they went to a grindhouse film.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 19, 2015, 12:07:24 PM
Kill Bill's probably my favorite mostly because I'm a sucker for seeing Japanese revenge flicks fused with Spaghetti Western. It was also my first Tarantino movie, so I might be a little biased there. Still remains a sore spot that Tarantino never went through with Volume 3.
You chose right. I'm a sucker for Lone Wolf And Cub and Lady Snowblood, myself. Also, didn't he say he wanted to wait until the actress of a certain character grows up...dear God, it's been 10 or so years, hasn't it? I'm getting old...
Quote from: Foggle on August 19, 2015, 02:36:20 PM
I think of Grindhouse like this:

Planet Terror is the kind of movie people wanted to see when they went to a grindhouse film; Death Proof is the kind of movie they actually saw when they went to a grindhouse film.
:D Lovely.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Has anyone seen The Jungle Book live-action trailer?

https://youtu.be/HcgJRQWxKnw

It honestly looks pretty good. And Jon Favreu has already done two good children/family films in his career, so he definitely has the experience and ability to pull this off.

Mind you, I'm also not a fan of the idea of Disney remaking most of their animated classics into live-action feature films, but keeping an open mind, I have to admit when a movie looks interesting, and this trailer at least makes it seem that way.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

You know what I like the most about this trailer? It shows you lots of cool stuff WITHOUT spoiling ANY of the plot. It's bizarre that so many other trailers for big-budget blockbusters don't follow suit with this.

LumRanmaYasha

Yeah, the fact that this trailer doesn't spell out the plot is very refreshing. As someone who doesn't have strong feelings one way or another for Star Wars, the trailer does well to intrigue me about the content of the film and make me want to know more about it, incentivizing me to actually go see it, which I'd call pretty effective marketing, personally.

Avaitor

Spectre has already been released in the UK, even though we're still not getting it for another week. The reviews are looking to be good, but not excellent. It's around Age of Ultron's score on RT the last time I checked, and the reviews I've seen from letterboxd are a little mixed.

The reception seems to be that it's a solid addition to the 007 canon, even if it isn't as groundbreaking as Skyfall. But it still has to be better than Quantum of Solace.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'll still be seeing it, anyways, but Skyfall is hard to top, and as far as this year goes, I think that Rogue Nation pretty much takes the title for best spy action movie.

Still, I've grown a tad weary of RT scores lately, so I'd rather judge the movie for myself.

I've seen movies in the 50's and 60's which I personally think are at least good, if not great (The Rocketeer, Ghostbusters II, The Last Samurai, Sinister, Desperado, etc.), as well as movies with 90+ ratings which I personally found to be massively overrated (Source Code, It Follows, etc.); which isn't to say that RT's ratings don't get it right (they do more often than not), but that they aren't the end-all, be-all of what your personal opinion has to be. I mean, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is "Certified Fresh" for one thing. It has an even higher rating than AOU....just think about that for a moment.

gunswordfist

Heh, of course critics still hate on The Last Samurai...And they are straight up wrong about Desperado. :burn:

Daikun

The Nice Guys

Shane Black makes awesome movies, and this looks great as well. :drool:

Spark Of Spirit

Just a shame that he was kicked off Lethal Weapon after 2.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Daikun on December 06, 2015, 06:01:32 AM
The Nice Guys

Shane Black makes awesome movies, and this looks great as well. :drool:
Hahahaha, *adds to list*

Spark Of Spirit

If this ends up being the plot for the final Die Hard movie, I actually think I'm really looking forward to it.

For one, bookending the series with John McClane looking back on his past and moving to the future is a good idea for the last movie in the series. Another is Len Wiseman as director is the best possible idea. He is the only one other than McTiernan that understood the Die Hard appeal, directing the fourth film, and would parallel the original trilogy which McTiernan directed the first and third but not the second film.

Also, it is a chance to have a '70s cop movie style Die Hard which hasn't been done yet. We've had 80s style with the original, 90s style with the third, and modern style with the fourth, so instead of repeating itself like 2 and 5 did, this is the best place to mine for new material. Not to mention it would be a good way to close off the family arc he's been in since movie 4. He has his son and daughter back, now he needs to reunite with his family together again and looking back to where it started might help.

To quash any doubts, back when 4 came out it was always the plan to end the series with 6 films. This will be the last Die Hard movie short of Hollywood ruining it with a reboot in three years or something. I hope the series gets the send off it deserves.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton