Anime Your Friends Like

Started by LumRanmaYasha, June 14, 2013, 10:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Basically, talk about what anime people you know very well like; people who normally don't like anime or don't obsess over any enough to discuss it with strangers online at some random forum. Or you can just mention random strangers you meet that just happen to like anime or a particular anime. Whatever works.

My brother, for instance, is more of a gaming guy, but he IS quite the anime fan regardless. I mean, he's done the six-hour challenge for Toonami every Saturday night since October.

He is quite the Toonami faithful.

We obviously started watching anime around the same time back in 2005, so we've seen a lot of anime together for the most part. His tastes are pretty varied, but I think he mainly appreciates mature and "stylish" anime. He's more forgiving on a lot of shows' faults than most people, and doesn't get too bothered with more common tropes, although he doesn't really like most anime comedy and a lot of comedy anime (he hates Ouran High School Host Club). His views and taste in anime changes more frequently than mine, but he's always considered Yu Yu Hakusho to be his favorite anime, which is the most consistent view on any form of entertainment I've ever known someone I know personally to have.

Anyway, his top ten favorite anime are:

10. Dragonball franchise
9. Cowboy Bebop
8. Samurai Champloo
7. Casshern Sins
6. Durarara!
5. The Slayers (All of them, but he likes Slayers Try the most)
4. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
3. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
2. Hunter X Hunter 2011
1.  Yu Yu Hakusho

As for other people, the only anime my mom ever liked was Naruto.

No, I'm not joking. That was the only anime she actually enjoyed watching, and would watch it whenever she saw me and my brother watching it. And I've shown her other anime over the years like Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell, but she didn't like them.  :??:

Now I'm going to move on from family members. When I was in High School a lot of my friends enjoyed anime, and they would sometimes watch clips of some on the English room's computer's before class started. Most of their tastes seem to be similar; leaning towards shounen series with obvious all around appeal anime as personal favorites as well. They even watched anime together in viewing parties, which I never went to because...reasons.

They shared mutual enjoyment for the following anime:

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (I'm just gonna come out and say right now that nearly everyone I know that regularly watches anime loves Brotherhood. I'm serious; it's easily THE most popular anime with young adults/teenagers in my area)
Fooly Cooly
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Dragonball Z
One Piece
Azumanga Daioh
Lucky Star
K-On
Is this a Zombie?

And as for people I don't really know very well; there was an Otaku Club at my High School. I went to check it out for a few weeks in it's second year. Literally everyone there was an avid Naruto and Hetalia fan. I'm not sure how Hetalia has gotten so popular among anime fans, but pretty much most of the club was devoted to watching Naruto, Hetalia, and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood amvs. Seriously. Other highlights included most of the people there believing Naruto Shippuden is the best anime ever made, Bleach being a must see anime, Miyazaki films being the only good anime films, and considering Angel Beats to be a masterpiece. Also, barely any of them ever watched Cowboy Bebop or knew what Toonami was.

...yeah, I bailed on that club after a couple weeks.

So, anyways, feel free to talk about what anime people you have met in your life really like!

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Quote from: Cartoon X on June 14, 2013, 10:39:32 PM
Literally everyone there was an avid Naruto and Hetalia fan. I'm not sure how Hetalia has gotten so popular among anime fans, but pretty much most of the club was devoted to watching Naruto, Hetalia, and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood amvs. Seriously. Other highlights included most of the people there believing Naruto Shippuden is the best anime ever made, Bleach being a must see anime, Miyazaki films being the only good anime films, and considering Angel Beats to be a masterpiece.

Jesus christ how horrifying.

My friends like the typical Toonami fare like DBZ, Gundam, Sailor Moon and the like. Not too sure what else they might be into now since I haven't talked to most of them in a month.

One of them watches Precure and Aikatsu alongside me. Pretty sure he's the only one I ever regularly talk to about anime.

I made this weeaboo friend in college and instantly regretted it because all he ever watched was weekly shonen stuff and whatever got popular on ANN or MAL.

My supervisor is like 45 and watches subbed Naruto too.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Cartoon X on June 14, 2013, 10:39:32 PM
he's always considered Yu Yu Hakusho to be his favorite anime, which is the most consistent view on any form of entertainment I've ever known someone I know personally to have.

Your brother sounds like a smart person to me! :thumbup:

The Shadow Gentleman

Good Lord at a hot dog stand. People like the ones at you club are the reason I'm afraid to ever associate with an anime club. Maybe I'll just start a general animation club...

Anywho, I have one friend generally familiar with some anime, but I'm not really sure which ones (he used to like Bleach I think). He did introduce me to Trigun, so I'll forever be grateful. There's also a girl I regularly talk to who likes Trigun, Hetalia, some shounen stuff. I'm recommending her some great series though. Her and her brother liked Angle Beats, which is completely contradictory to what I know about them. There's another guy I know, but he's been over in Europe for the past few months, so I have no idea.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

My older brother isn't a big anime fan, but he used to watch a lot of shows on Toonami with me as a kid, such as DBZ, Dragon Ball, Yu Yu Hakusho, various Tenchi series, and the like. He also watched Cowboy Bebop, Lupin III, and Case Closed on Adult Swim. Also, as far as movies go, I know that he saw Ninja Scroll and enjoyed it, but I don't think that he's seen anything beyond that.

As of now, I know that he watched Naruto and Bleach for a time, but much like myself he eventually grew pretty tired of those series. The last anime that I know he watched was Neon Genesis Evangelion, which he said he liked. That said, my brother isn't very much into anime or animation in general. He's more a film buff, and he is actually pretty HUGE into classic samurai films.

TheEclecticDude

My younger brother is more of a gamer then anime fan but he still watch some shows on occasion. He typically likes fighting/shounen anime or at least anything mainstream. I have been trying to get him watch other stuff, though he tends to watch stuff only once-doesn't take much worth in rewatching, except for the shows he watchs on TV.

The only person I know who is into anime (in my local area) is a guy from high school who kinda introduced me into anime. He is a Toonami faithful, recently remarked me that he is stoked for Sword Art Online coming to the lineup this fall. I politely decided to not say anything, just simply nodding.

I do know a few foreign and american yuri fanboys through groups I'm in on facebook. Take that what you will.

In terms of anime clubs, I have been in two: First, when I was living in Virginia Tech from 2007-11. Most of them were hard core anime fans (the president was real big into Gundam). Of course any anime we watched was subbed only and usually downloaded from the web.

Second, since I have been back home, I got involved in a anime club at a local university. It is recently formed group so membership was always in flux. We usually watched anime on DVDs only, usually dubbed (only subbed if the dub was deemed 'lacking'. As a result we watch quite a variety of series.

Avaitor

Sibling wise, all I have are 2 sisters who are super girly and mainstream, therefore there is no hope for anime in their diet. My older, full-blood sister used to watch Sailor Moon and Pokemon with me here and there, but that's it.

I've had a handful of friends into anime on and off over the years, but most of them tend to be into the traditional stuff- what they grew up watching on Toonami (usually the most popular shows, too), plus Naruto, Bleach and Death Note. Rarely much else. One of my best friends and his younger brother are a little more versatile in their tastes, or at least used to be however. They used to catch onto certain titles before they got dubbed and/or became as popular in the community, like Death Note, Haruhi Suzumiya and Code Geass, but like me, I don't think they've been catching up with anime in a long time.

And I've had an experience or two with anime clubs in my like. They were mostly places for half-assed sketchers to show off their work. Not much for anime, really.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

I only have one friend who watches anime, but he's been pretty burnt out on it in recent years.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

VLordGTZ

Most of my friends who watch a decent amount of anime love FMAB and Soul Eater and despise Bleach.  Most of them have also seen and liked Ranma 1/2, InuYasha, Kirby Right Back at Ya (original Japanese version),  Death Note, DBZ Kai, Pani Poni Dash, Ouran High School Host Club, and Black Butler.   They've seen One Piece as well but only one of them has actually watched more than the first few episodes.  My friend who has seen the most One Piece episodes (besides myself) in my group of friends also likes Cowboy Bebop.  One of my other friends also likes the 2012 adaption of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.