Dragon Ball (All Series)

Started by Spark Of Spirit, March 14, 2011, 07:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, basically they just changed his hair from purple to blue?

Yeah, it seems unnecessary to me as well, especially as I rather would have seen Vegeta achieve SSJG status.

LumRanmaYasha

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't really trust Toei, but if I end up liking the new DBZ movie whenever I get a chance to see it, then perhaps I might have more faith in this project.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on April 28, 2015, 10:33:49 AM
I don't really trust Toei, but if I end up liking the new DBZ movie whenever I get a chance to see it, then perhaps I might have more faith in this project.
Pretty much this. The fact that Toriyama is on board is also making feel more at ease though.

I also hope the series is more about showing all the minor characters some love and fun adventures and less about Goku facing increasingly powerful super duper Gods.
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 28, 2015, 01:07:28 PM
So basically it's a GT remake.
Quiet, old man.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Just kidding, partially.

If this is a good chance to turn it away from being Super Saiyan battles and nothing else then I'm interested. I still haven't seen the new movies yet, though, so I don't even know if they explained why Gohan would even need to go Super Saiyan. As long as it's better than GT, I'm good.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

Toriyama wanting to do this has piqued my interest already. Like you said, as long as it's better than GT I hope this does well. Can't help but wonder how much Dragonball Xenoverse had to do with this. Then there's how wildly popular Dragonball Abridged became. If I'm not mistaken, I think it got popular with Japan too didn't it?

gunswordfist

Saying better than GT kind of canceled out your entire post because a Toriyama advised show all about super Saiyans is still auto better than GT. :sly:

Anyway, if it's the Super Saiyan show, then I'll watch it here and there, if it's better than that then I'll be hooked.

Daikun

Quote from: Daikun on November 17, 2014, 12:57:27 PMOkay, I'm getting tired of this.

Is Toriyama really that desperate for work? Can't he work on something else?

This franchise ended nearly 20 years ago. Is zombifying this series really necessary?

It had its time in the sun. The story is over. We've moved on. Leave it be.

*cough*

gunswordfist

Yeah, no one saw that coming, plate-boy

/sarcasm

LumRanmaYasha

Toriyama's making a new manga with Masakazu Katsura. He is working on something else.  ::)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Your point still doesn't apply accurately here, Daikun, since if you pay attention to anything DBZ-related that has come out in the past few years, Toriyama himself has mostly had minimal involvement. Writing the story to the latest movie is literally the most involved he's been with the series since he ended the original run of the manga (unless you count Jaco). Toei is the company that's been milking the franchise as far as the anime goes, and Shueisha has hired other authors to do the manga spin-off shorts.

Your point is that Toriyama is "desperate for work" and trying to revive the franchise for that reason, which if you do the slightest bit of research on the guy, you would see is flat-out untrue. And the vague description of "drawn from a plot by the brand's original creator" doesn't really do much to help that point, since it's probably just like his involvement with the TV special, where he just pitched a story idea and got credit for it. Otherwise they would have just credited him as the writer like they did for this recent movie.

gunswordfist

Toriyama bashing..the only thing that can piss off someone as nice as CX.

gunswordfist

I wish Toriyama was writing the new series himself, for whatever that's worth. :>

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I feel bad for him since he clearly didn't intend to be writing DB for as long as he did, but was forced to due to its popularity. And don't bother with interviews and articles and such. Everyone really knows that Toriyama was burned out in the last couple of years of the manga's run. It's no wonder that he never did a long project again after that.

So, give the guy a break. When he's interested enough he'll do a one-shot or even write the screenplay for a movie like he recently did for the newest one, and it's good because he wanted to do it rather than doing it just for a paycheck. Other than that, let him do his side projects, which are all short and a ton of fun, IMO.