You know what bothers me?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, February 17, 2011, 08:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nel_Annette

Their last album was pretty good. 'Twas The Resistance (2009) that pissed everyone off. It became less about their old sound and more abut trying to be a modern Queen.

For me personally (and a lot of people disagree with me on this), it was Black Holes And Revelations that made me stop caring for a while. They tried going for a space western sound on that, and it doesn't work for me. Barring maybe 3 songs.

But like I said, the album from last year seemed to bring some people back. It continues the "we're trying to be Queen!" thing The Resistance was doing, but the songs are much better. And I even like the dubstep one that broke the fanbase further.  :lol:

Dude's still put on a hell of a live show though.

Avaitor

I just checked this year's ballot choices for the HOF. Of course Nirvana made it in, which is totally expected. Some other choices that have been a long time coming have made it this year as well, such as:

Deep Purple (!)
KISS
The Replacements
The Zombies (!)
Yes

As well as LL Cool J and NWA. I'm just hoping that DP are the token hard rock band to make it in this year, and that there's also room for some more prog.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

The Replacements?!?

Color me impressed, I never saw that happening. I have to say though, the token hip hop acts are getting old. None of them did as much as Run DMC or the Beastie Boys did for rock n roll.

Nirvana in before the Meat Puppets is outright silly. Nirvana's entire sound was built on II and Up on the Sun.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Oh, I forgot to mention that there is no excuse for the Specials, Madness, or the Jam to not be in yet. Rock n Roll is bigger than just the US and if you're going on popularity they all outsold the Stooges, the Sex Pistols, and Velvet Underground and are almost as influential.

On a similar note if you can put in the Stooges and the Sex Pistols (one album for crying out loud and it isn't even a good one), then there is no reason to not put in the New York Dolls.

EDIT: Neither Dick Dale nor Link Wray are in, but Public Enemy are. What the.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

You can vote for up to 5 acts.

I went for Purple, KISS, 'Mats, Zombies and Yes. 3 and So are among my favorite albums, but Pete doesn't need my love.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

No-Personality

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 16, 2013, 12:09:12 AMI have to say though, the token hip hop acts are getting old. None of them did as much as Run DMC or the Beastie Boys did for rock n roll.
I want to agree (though there's no debate in the case of LL Cool J, he may make both my lists of best singles of the 80's and 90's a few times but he's not really historically relevant apart from just general success and maybe as a fashion trendsetter). But, "Straight Outta Compton" was a really big deal. Like: genre-changing, history making, etc. The song makes me extremely uncomfortable as I don't trust the lyrics weren't partially homophobic. But still, I can't possibly say anything against its power.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

I think there should be a Hip Hop Hall of Fame, as well as one for jazz. They're making one for pop, and have some acts on the induction sheet who wouldn't make the rock one, like Dino, so why not branch out even more?

New blog!

No-Personality

1 Hall for Them All, or gtfo.

My only "offer." I bend for not all and not one.
and I love it.

Lord Il

I was going to make a separate topic on this but figured it's suitable enough for here:

What bothers me are those who feel the need to get high to "enhance" the enjoyment of a live venue. It's not like I go to a lot of concerts, but why is it nearly every time I do I have to smell weed just outside the entrances of the buildings?? Hell, it's even worse when someone gets bold enough to light up a joint within close proximity of where you sit during a show. I would much rather remember the concert I went to rather than forget a lot of it from being wasted.

Not necessarily hating, just not understanding. O_o

Foggle

I dunno. Lighting up does nothing for me, personally. I actually act more like I'm high when I'm sober. :lol:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on October 16, 2013, 06:38:26 PM
I think there should be a Hip Hop Hall of Fame, as well as one for jazz. They're making one for pop, and have some acts on the induction sheet who wouldn't make the rock one, like Dino, so why not branch out even more?
They might as well. If the place was called the "Music Hall Of Fame" I wouldn't even care about half the people being put in.

But I'm still waiting for T. Rex.

Avaitor

I'm pretty sure I mentioned this before, but John Darnielle is way too cool to be associated with someone like John Green.

New blog!

Avaitor

The HOF also has voting here.

Huh, KISS has more votes than Nirvana. Maybe this will be the year they finally make it in. And the 'Mats needs more votes for sure.

New blog!

No-Personality

Hall & Oates > Kiss.

Also... Peter Gabriel? This can't be his first eligible year. Nor H&O for that matter. What the fuck? Hold Nirvana back at least one more year. Kiss... I suppose people like them. But, seriously, c'mon: they're lame as hell. Cat Stevens I'd go for in a heartbeat before Kiss. But, again, what's up with this first eligible year nonsense? He had to have been considered godknows HOW many years ago... And Linda. And, of course, Deep Purple. And Zombies.

Ug.
and I love it.

Avaitor

KISS may be lame, but they have some killer hard rock tracks in their discography, and I think they deserve a place in the HOF since they've inspired plenty of people to pick up an instrument.

New blog!