Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Yeah, just finished it.

20- My grandfather loves this show, but I can't stand it. Never have been able to.
19- I'd probably put it here on my list as well. I'm in the "Seinfeld is overrated" camp, but it's a great show.
18- You know, I've really been getting into this show lately. I like how emotional it can get at times, be it heartfelt or heartless. It's hard to find a TV-MA comedy with as much heart as this.
17- Classic. Would be higher on my list, but it's not mine.
16- Bleh.
15- Before my time, and no chance to watch it. This seems like a pretty cool show form how he's talked about it, though.
14- Never watched it. Maybe I'll check some of it out in the near future, I dunno
13- Eh, I never really got to see much of this show, and I didn't like what I have seen.
12- Sorry, but I'd take That 70's Show over this any day. But it isn't a bad series.
11- Anyone can see this coming. :P You'd figure that it would make his top 10, though.
10- You know, at the end of the day, #10 is a pretty good spot for a list like this. If the past decade+ didn't exist, it should be higher, but definitely deserves a fairly high spot like this.
9- I don't really agree with him that the show is getting better as it goes along, but hey, it's his list, and it does still have some great moments today.
8- Never heard of it, and really, British sitcoms aren't my thing.
7- Fair enough. I've been wanting to get more into it myself.
6- One day, I'll give this a chance. Not sure when, though.
5- Huh, interesting tie. Love Bebop, and have been meaning to check out Wolf's Rain.
4- Another unsurprising choice. Great place, too.

His bit on Batman Beyond, though, wtf?
3- Like #6, this isn't my favorite kind of thing, but something I've been meaning to try out. Again, some day.
2- Was not expecting it to make it here, but why not? It's a great show.
1- Man, I love this show. I honestly think it is still my favorite animated sitcom, even above KOTH, Simpsons, and Archer.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

While I haven't seen enough of it to be sure if its all as great as he says it is, I could see mysel agreesing on Black Adder's placement if the rest of the series that I haven't watched was up to par with season 2 (which is the only season of the show that I have watched....well, most of it, anyways). The actors fit their roles perfectly and while the writing for the jokes and dialogue is funny enough as it is, the perfect timing and delivery that the actors bring to the table in their performances just makes the comedy that much more hysterical. I'll definitely be checking out more of this series when I get the chance.

As or South Park, I also disagree with Doug that its been getting better as it goes along, but I also disagree with the people who like to believe that its gone to shit. I think its not quite as good as it was in its prime as some episodes can be pretty stupid and groanworthy, and not the least bit funny, but more often than not I find that most episodes in a season can at the very least get a chuckle out of me, and at least half the time I get some really good laughs out of the episodes that have aired in the most recent seasons. Hell, even in the most recent episodes I have found quite a few episodes that have some considerable re-watch value to them, and while I'm not sure if I'll look back on any of them as classics a few years from now, at least they are good enough to not have to be subject to feeling too dated later on in time.

Peanutbutter

So, The Distressed Watcher was finally dropped from Channel Awesome, and Neo Ultra Mike provided the reason why as well as an enlightening explanation for why he lasted so long.

QuoteMike Ellis and of course the Distressed watcher. Why mention them together? Because the former's firing is eventually the reason why the later was let go. Based on what DW said in his youtube video he was friends with Ellis once DW was on the site who would often joke with him and talk some smack about some of the other contributors. (Like Linkara for instance). Eventually Ellis was let go in August 2010 and since he was a CEO of Channel Awesome and one of the original founders I presume it was more then just talking bad of people, but they haven't exactly said why. Anyway after Ellis was let go TJ eventually found his videos getting a "lower" placing then they normally did on the schedule. See on most daily TGWTG you get seven new videos. And DW (aka TJ) said his was always like 4 or 5 out of 5 or 6. And then they started becoming 5 or 6 out of 6 or 7. And because they were getting a lower placing, the views were apparently dropping some. Which dosen't really make sense to me as if you liked the guy you would of seen his videos anyway and watched them as it dosen't matter whose really placed on the schedule, but that's the story he stuck with.

And with the lower views he started to become lazier with his weekly videos and started putting less and less effort into them and thus the quality started to noticably drag. Ones that not only noted him less views but also more hate and flames. Channel Awesome actually had to stop him from uploading one of his planned videos (Top 10 gayest music videos) due to the fear that video would get him flammed by pretty much everyone. That along with commerical companies not wanting to put their ads in TJ's vids eventually led to him getting fired. He was actually let go in July but had till September to post videos and even explain to everyone what happened and promote his new site (that he wants to make to compete with TGWTG) but due to disinterest he stopped making videos in July and a couple of weeks ago his videos disappeared off the site. so yeah that's the story of what happened to him more or less.

Wasn't this Mike guy the same one who posted on TZ for a bit?

Spark Of Spirit

There are two Mikes at Channel Awesome, IIRC. I can't say I feel too sorry for either of these guys, though. Especially DW who was the worst thing on the site by far.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, the other Mike is Mike Michaud who actually admins the site and who I gave the info for Titanic Animated to give to Doug.

So yeah, different guy.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, can't say I feel bad about Amazing Atheist getting kicked out. From what I heard, even the other reviewers like Lindsay and Film Brain thought he was a douche.

As for good reviewers, anyone seen some of Brows Held High? I've been watching a lot of his videos, and they're shockingly good for a relative newcomer to the site. A fine sight to see someone make fun of arthouse flicks.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

What pissed me off the most about DW wasn't how he basically bashed almost anything he reviewed (after all, a lot of people on the site do that anyways), but how fucking mean-spirited he was about it and how seriously he took it. He went as far as to insult anyone who liked said stuff as if they were horrible people and in one of his reviews he said something along the lines of anyone who likes Bay's Transformer movies needs to be put in Death Camps and tortured for their incompetence, or something of the sort, which is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Whether a film or product or anything is good or bad, the idea is to have fun making fun of it, not act like a total douche and insult anyone who disagrees with your opinion. And that's the other thing that ticks me off about that guy, he's so obnoxious that he clearly believes that he is right about everything he thinks. Seriously, the site is better off without him.

Anyways, to be honest I couldn't ever really get into any other video series on the site (unless you count JO, but even then I don't really watch her most recent output only because I'm not interested in a radio drama), as most other reviewers that I tried just kind of bored me and didn't seem that funny at all. Doug's videos are basically the only ones that I go to watch there, anymore.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on October 10, 2011, 03:58:18 PM
He went as far as to insult anyone who liked said stuff as if they were horrible people and in one of his reviews he said something along the lines of anyone who likes Bay's Transformer movies needs to be put in Death Camps and tortured for their incompetence, or something of the sort, which is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.
And didn't Doug say he liked Revenge of the Fallen? That's gotta be pretty awkward.

Yeah, I actually kind of like some of the other reviewers (even more than Doug, at some points). Nash is pretty cool, Lindsay and Nella have some decent chemistry, Cinema Snob is usually in top form when he has a really bad exploitation flick to mock, Linkara is all right when he isn't focusing on cosplaying as a Power Ranger and LARPing with Iron Liz, JO's quite good when she updates, and like I said, Oancitizen is pretty well-read and interesting to hear.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on October 10, 2011, 04:00:22 PM
And didn't Doug say he liked Revenge of the Fallen? That's gotta be pretty awkward.

Actually, he said that he liked the first Transformers movie while fully acknowledging how cheesy it is and how poorly written it is. He said that he didn't like Revenge of the Fallen but he didn't hate it with a passion either like other people did (I think he was just more indifferent to that one than anything else).

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on October 10, 2011, 02:22:03 PM
Yeah, can't say I feel bad about Amazing Atheist getting kicked out. From what I heard, even the other reviewers like Lindsay and Film Brain thought he was a douche.

As for good reviewers, anyone seen some of Brows Held High? I've been watching a lot of his videos, and they're shockingly good for a relative newcomer to the site. A fine sight to see someone make fun of arthouse flicks.

Doesn't surprise me. Isn't Nostagia Chick a Christian? I know Linkara and CR are but I'm not sure with her. That'd be almost doubly awkward.

And yeah, I've seen a couple of Oancitzizen's episodes. I have to watch his other episodes soon, but I'm glad I'm not the only noted fan of his. He can be pretty funny when he wants to be, and he comes off as extremely classy and sophisticated rather than obnoxiously pretentious the way other arthouse critics can be. He, along with Todd in the Shadows and CR (of Familiar Face) are still the best new talent they have.

I like Bella too. The Chick found a secret ingredient into making her show more better there.

talonmalon333

I actually think the Nostalgia Chick is funnier then the Critic... It's just that the movies she reviews are far less amusing, and she's constantly involving her friends which takes up too much of the spotlight in my opinion.

Avaitor

Really? I can barely stand Lindsay herself, and her retrospectives suck, like the Titanic and Disney Princess ones.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on October 10, 2011, 08:00:15 PM
Really? I can barely stand Lindsay herself, and her retrospectives suck, like the Titanic and Disney Princess ones.

I don't know. Even though I like him, I actually don't think the Critic is THAT funny. I mean, anyone can make a funny review when talking about something as bad as the Titanic animated movies. But I can think of plenty other internet series I'd rather watch. That's just me, anyway.

Avaitor

Doug isn't the funniest guy alive, but his subjects are usually worth a look, and he make some good points and references more often than not.

More so than Lindsay, at least.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Doug's reviews don't really quite make me laugh out loud on a regular basis, but they are usually entertaining enough for me to sit through and I do at least get a chuckle out of some of his better jokes.

Not that I have anything against Lindsay, but I find her reviews to be pretty boring, personally. I don't really find them the least bit funny and while I respect her input on the stuff she reviews, the problem is that she typicall never does much to make me care about what she is reviewing (whether it is good or bad), and thus I just get bored of watching her videos before they are even over. That's just me, though, as I know that she has a fan base of her own so obviously she does still have her audience out there, which I can respect.

I will say that I downright can't stand Benzaie, though. Once again, I don't mean that I have anything against him personally, but I fail to see the appeal of his videos or how anyone finds them the least bit amusing, let alone actually funny or interesting. I also got an even more negative opinion of him once he dissed the entire Ninja Gaiden series just becuase he didn't like the way that Metroid: Other M turned out (and based on his comments I doubt he even knows that the fuck he's talking about, as its obvious that he's never played a Ninja Gaiden game in his life, or at least not the 3D ones).