Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Doug talks about new Looney Tunes here.

Honestly though, Lola is not that funny. She's more interesting than she was in Space Jam, but still not that funny.

And what on earth is wrong with Duck Dodgers?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I haven't seen Duck Dodgers in years, so I can't comment on whether that show holds up or not, but I remember that I used to like it. However, having the Nostalgia Critic dis good shows is nothing new. Its sort of like how he commented negatively on Batman Beyond, yet gave no real reason as to why (that was when he was going gaga over BTAS). I understand that its obviously not as great of a show as BTAS, but its a damn good show in its own right and a hell of a lot better than what he gave it credit for.

At any rate, I liked this video itself. Though, to be honest, I haven't seen the new Looney Tunes save for one episode, which is ironically the episode that he listed as his personal favorite....and I thought it was OK. I maybe laughed at 2-parts in the episode and found the whole thing relatively amusing, but if that's honestly the best the show has to offer, then I'm not sure if I'd care that much for the rest of it (which is to say that the show would just be OK at best if that were the case).

Avaitor

The best episode I've seen of the show (keep in mind that I haven't seen any of season 2, though) is "Casa de Calma", which didn't even make his list. It's a leftover from the original Laff Riot series, which is what this became, and if the rest of that show was like this particular episode, I think it would've been a lot better. Check it out before you entirely dismiss the show.

I am surprised that he didn't mention the Road Runner cartoons though, which are all FUCKING AWFUL. Maybe he blacked them out?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Silverstar

Quote from: Avaitor on April 09, 2013, 09:04:57 PMHonestly though, Lola is not that funny. She's more interesting than she was in Space Jam, but still not that funny.

What's really funny is the amount of bile I've read people spewing over TLTS' version of Lola. Geez, so much animosity over a drawing. I've heard her being called a "bimbo", a "waste", a "streotyped throwback to 1950's hipster characters" (which makes absolutely no fucking sense), a "TV equivalent to an Adam Sandler movie", and more. Please. All Spike Brandt and Tony Cervone did was take a cipherish OC character with no personality beyond being sexy and turn her into a motormouthed flake. She's not this abomination against God and nature. Relax a little, haters.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Goldstar

Daffy and Lola are the best characters on the show. There, I said it.

Overall, my stance is the same as Doug's for the most part; The Looney Tunes Show is far from being perfect, but by no means is it the worst ever take on Looney Tunes franchise (for me, Loonatics Unleashed still holds that title). A lot of people don't like this shows' version of Bugs, but Doug made a good about how allowing to lose sometimes makes the character more human (about as human as an anthropomorphic rabbit can get, anyway) and more relatable, which is why I've always preferred Daffy over Bugs. Bugs is the kind of person whom I'd like to be, while Daffy is what I fear I am.

I don't get why Doug put Duck Dodgers in the category as Space Jam and Baby Looney Tunes, though. DD was an OK show, as I recall, though it's been a while since I've actually seen it. And BLT was just another "babyfication" show that was aimed at preschoolers. Also, I didn't think that Looney Tunes: Back in Action was all that bad. I can least appreciate the movie for what it set out to accomplish. It had a better story than Space Jam, which was basically a 90 minute Nike ad.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Dr. Insomniac

Foggle

Peanutbutter

My only disagreement with Doug is that Doug Dodgers was good. Well, aside from that I didn't mind Baby Looney Tunes either. Still a great video from him. I'm glad he's keeping these up.

Avaitor

I know who Silverstar is referring to with someone calling Lola a bimbo, and yeah, that's just uncalled for. And while I'm not a big fan of hers on the show, I still haven't seen that many episodes, so maybe she becomes insanely more funny since then. Although he was singing her praises pretty early.

And Doug also thinks that everybodyyyy loves Cars, so he's not exactly a good judge when it comes to perspective.

New blog!

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Goldstar on April 09, 2013, 10:35:14 PM
Doug put Duck Dodgers in the category as Space Jam and Baby Looney Tunes
:whuh:

The Looney Tunes Show is okay. Nothing more I can really say about it. Daffy's the only one I kind of like, because he does kind of feel like how Daffy would act in that kind of setting.

Spark Of Spirit

Casa De Calma was really good. The rest of the show does absolutely nothing for me.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

From season 2, I have been enjoying the show a little bit more than most of the season 1 episodes. My favorite episodes from season 2 so far are Semper Lies, Customer Service, and  A Christmas Carol.

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, season 2 was a much better improvement.

Avaitor

New blog!

Lord Dalek