Dragon Ball (All Series)

Started by Spark Of Spirit, March 14, 2011, 07:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Apparently I need to re-watch The World's Strongest, because aside from the good animation, I found mostly everything else about it to be merely average or decent. Nothing really stood out to me as great, personally.

Avaitor

I'd sign if this was for Kuwabara.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Spark Of Spirit

Toriyama wasn't impressed with how DBS was handled either. Of course that's not much of a surprise.

On the other hand, that book looks really cool. That's a lot of good manga artists drawing DB stuff! Sorachi drawing Bardock makes so much sense. I do wish Watsuki could have done one of Gohan, Vegeta, and Krillin, against the Ginyu Force-- that just seems like his style. Horikoshi's art is still great even in DB style.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It still pisses me off that some fans believe that Toriyama is to blame for Super's lack of quality. The guy has nothing more to do with it other than being an obligatory executive producer. He doesn't write the material for it.

Also, those tribute drawings are awesome.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, is it just me, or is Hit's ability a rip-off of Diavolo's "Stando" from Vento Aureo/Golden Wind?

I say Diavolo instead of DIO's "Za Warudo!" since Hit specifically states that he is jumping through time rather than stopping it.

LumRanmaYasha

Hard to really call if a rip-off, since JoJo's characters are far from the only characters in anime/manga with time-altering powers. But they are similar in some respect. The key difference is that Diavolo isn't jumping through time - he erases time. Only Diavolo can see and remember what occurs during the time he's erased, but everyone else forgets because in fact that time no longer exists. This is why the effects of actions during the erased time don't effect anyone, and why Diavolo doesn't bother to directly attack others during the erased time, unlike Hit, who can attack people during his time jumps.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I loved the crossover way back in Dragon Ball, so I'm eager to see Goku once again interact with the cast of characters from Penguin Island. I wonder if this version of Arale can crack a planet in half and throw it at the moon with ease....

LumRanmaYasha

Awesome! :swoon::joy: Here's hoping more characters from both series interact with each other this time. There's lots of character interactions that would be a goldmine for comedic possibilities, like Mr. Satan and Suppaman, Pilaf and Nikochan, etc. Though, thinking about it, I wonder if the Slump cast is going to have aged at all since the last time Goku met them was 30+ years ago in the DB timeline. Obviously, Arale and Obatchaman would still look the same because they're robots and all, but it might be interesting to see grown up versions of the other characters, especially Turbo.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Alright, now this was a good episode of Super. It ended the fight and tournament in a way that's both unconventional but also feels VERY Dragon Ball in nature. I also like how many of the new characters, much like Beerus and Whis, aren't typical one-dimensional villains. It feels much fresher to have dynamic interactions between characters like this rather than just pure good versus evil, which can be fun, but can also get very stale rather quickly if handled poorly. And also there's expanding the lore, in which we now see a new character which apparently even Beerus and Champa are afraid of.

I really hope that Hit becomes a recurring character. He's definitely a pretty interesting being, and besides wanting to see the full-extent of his techniques and assassination fighting style, I really just want to see how his character arc can unfold from this point. I'm also really excited to see where the story goes for the first time since this new arc started. Why is the King of Everything here now? What will Goku and the others wish for with the Super Dragon Balls? How will the characters of the Sixth Universe factor into the future story-lines of this series? This is the kind of Dragon Ball that I want to see more often.

You see, I'm not all about bashing this show and saying that classic Dragon Ball was superior in every way (though, to be fair, it totally is so far), and as a huge Dragon Ball fan to begin with, I by no means want to be down about the stuff that this show does. It may appear that way, but that's not the case. I simply want something that manages to show some inventiveness and creativity while also capturing the core elements of what made Dragon Ball such an engaging manga and anime in the first place. This episode managed to give me that sort of feeling which I have always desired from this show.

Daikun

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 03, 2016, 05:04:46 PMThe writer of Dragonball: Evolution had offered a formal apology.

Damn. That must've been hard for him to say. It reminded me of when Joel Schumacher apologized for Batman & Robin. I'm glad he went out and said it.

Peanutbutter

He can blame himself if he wants and its nice he admitted he screwed up, but he's not the one I hold responsible. That idiot Final Destination 3 director could have improved upon the script, and Fox only rushed this out into production thanks to that idiotic WGA Strike. It would have been stuck in development hell if not for that I believe.