Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes

Started by Avaitor, April 23, 2011, 08:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I fully admit to not really being familiar with the avengers comic much at all. As I've said before, I really like the characters in the group individually, but I just never was interested in reading the comic so this show was a nice treat for someone like me.

I totally didn't see the end of episode 26 coming, either. Intense stuff.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Based on the merits of just this show alone, rather than how the characters are in any comics or other media that may feature them, who would you say is you personal favorite character among the team in season 1?

For me, I'd have to say Captain America, myself. This show was basically my first proper introduction to his character but I was surprised by how well he fit in with the group, and I like how he had the ideals of a very classic sort of hero, but also had a fairly good sense of humor (albeit one that he rarely ever uses) to occasionally lighten up the mood. But really I find him to be the easiest character to sympathize with, and even though I only got to know his back-story through just 1 episode (which is technically just 3 micro-episodes), I could understand his grief at suddenly being re-awakened in the modern age with all of his friends and loved ones from his own-time being long-since dead (ironically the only living being that he knew from his time was one of his greatest enemies; which doesn't exactly make things much better for him :P ).

Believe it or not a close 2nd for me would be Hawkeye. Like Captain America, this was also my first introduction to his character, and I liked his sense of humor combined with overall personality and usefulness to the team. I also just find archery to be cool in general, so he actually has my favorite skill-set among the Avengers. I assume that Black Widow may also join the team once her name gets cleared up next season (but I am only just assuming that will happen, so I could be wrong).

Spark Of Spirit

I like Hawkeye a lot because he's actually likeable, and it's very easy for someone like him to not be. Same with Hulk, he came close to being annoying at times, but thankfully this version of the Hulk really does have a brain and doesn't always get in fights over dumb things. I think my favorite would be Thor (every time he appeared he just had that charisma), but really I enjoyed them all in this show.

It's the first team since X-Men Evolution (later seasons especially) where there isn't that one member that drives me crazy and takes away from the group.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Also, I really liked Zemo. It was the first usage of that villain that I've seen that really impressed me.

Avaitor

New season starts April 1st, same day as the new Spider-Man show and Marvel block starts. Just checked.

I might rewatch the first season on Netflix, but tbh, I'm holding out for a set with the whole season instead of buying half at a time. Cash is tight around here, but I'd be willing to spend a little for Avengers.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Is it weird that I'm actually a bit more excited for the new season of the animated series than the actual movie coming out this summer? I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm pretty stoked for the movie as well, but I'm already a fan of the animated series and I feel like I've been waiting forever for the 2nd season to start.

Avaitor

Maybe. I'm super pumped for both, but I'd be lying if I said that I'm more excited for the animated series returning than the upcoming movie.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, maybe its just because I know that realistically the animated series will have much more time to flesh out the characters and tell grander stories. That said I'm still extremely excited for the movie, but more so in summer blockbuster sort of way than for story purposes. But, who knows, maybe the movie will impress me and find a way to flesh out most of its cast within its run time while still supplying enough kick-ass action to put any Michael Bay film to shame. To be honest, though, even if the length runs close to a 3-hour run-time, I can't expect the movie to come close to the animated series in terms of character development and the like, but I still expect it to do as good of a job as possible at giving each hero the proper attention and respect that they deserve.

That said, I think that the bottom line is that we can all agree that both the 2nd season of the animated series and the movie are 2 things to be very excited about.

Avaitor

That is true, and I was going to mention that. We're going to get a lot more in the upcoming season for EMH than we will in the movie in terms of plot.

But yeah, I'm just super hyped for both. I love these characters so much, in the comics, the show and the movies, and I'm excited to see them interpreted in so many awesome ways.

New blog!

Avaitor

We're already 2 episodes in. I'm watching the show on my TV now, but in recordings, so I'm behind. I'm also behind on the DC Nation shows.

I just watched the season premiere though, and was quite impressed. I loved seeing the Fantastic Four and Doom. Tons of great interactions from them and the team. And if you're like EK and aren't familiar with the comics, their basic character points are easy enough to grasp.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just watched the first 2 episodes, myself.

I know this is a minor nitpick on my part, but I'm kind of ticked off that they replaced the cheesy but catchy opening theme song with that lame-ass opening narration. I guess it has a more "comic-book" sort of feel to it, but I honestly just prefer the opening theme from the first season than having a narrator tell us who these characters are when just about anyone watching the second season already SHOULD know who these characters are to begin with.

Anyways, as for the episodes themselves, they were both a solid beginning to this season (easily much better than the rather weak-opening to the first season, IMO), and they show a lot of potential for this season to surpass the first one on the whole.

I'm certainly not disappointed so far, so lets just hope that this season can deliver on all of the expectations that we have for it without suffering any major hitches along the way.

Avaitor

Yeah, I'm not crazy on the new opening either. The original was a lot more fun.

And if I can find the second ep on YouTube, I'll just watch it there instead of sticking to my recording.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Just watching the season premiere, and yeah, this is off to a good start. It pretty much hammers home everything that doesn't work about Ultimate Spider-Man, too. Since everything it tries to do is done way better here.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Minor Spoilers for episode 2 below:

So, as far as episode 2 goes, I have to wonder if Maria Hill is intentionally meant to be a really unlikable and bitchy character or if this is just a product of this particular show. I don't know why, but shes comes off as one that authoritative bitch type of character who is on such a power-trip just because they are in charge (in this case she's been automatically promoted to director of SHIELD since Nick Fury is still MIA as of right now). Maybe there is more to her character, and the second episode certainly at least hinted at that with her actually putting aside her gripes for a bit and helping out Tony Stark/Iron Man with the personal attack on his building, but I just can't help but really get annoyed by this character whenever she's on screen. She's just flat out unlikable so far and I can't help but really want to see her get punched out, but maybe that's intentional as far as her character goes, or maybe I'm just mijudging her and she has merits to her character that will be revealed later on. That said, as of right now, she's easily my most hated character on the entire show up to this point, and she's really the only character that I downright hate.

Diverting off of this little rant of mine, I would like to mention that getting to see Rhodey as War Machine in this episode was a nice little treat. I kind of hope he makes at least a couple more appearances to help Tony out at later points in the season, but its probably unlikely to happen with the huge roster of other superheroes who will surely get guest-starring roles featuring them in future episodes of this season.

Dr. Insomniac

So I just started watching the first episode. About seven minutes in, and it's all right. Wondering when it grows its beard though.