What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 22, 2014, 12:22:13 PMThere's always Aliens Infestation. That was fun. Shame everyone seems to have forgotten about it, though.

Well, at least it certainly wouldn't be the only DS spin-off of a franchise that got criminally overlooked. :humhumhum:

talonmalon333

There was a good amount of CGI in the extended version which is what I saw. Apparently the CGI wasn't in the theatrical version though.

That said, it was the smallest problem in that movie.

talonmalon333

According to this source from a few years ago, 3 and Resurrection are still considered canon.

http://www.warpzoned.com/2012/04/aliens-colonial-marines-is-officially-part-of-movie-canon-wii-u-version-is-not-a-port/

"The only productions currently considered canon are the first four films (yes, even Alien 3), Aliens: Colonial Marines, and maybe Ridley Scott's Prometheus (since there's still the possibility it's not a prequel)."

Dr. Insomniac

They're not part of my canon, so I don't care.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on July 23, 2014, 07:55:40 PM
They're not part of my canon, so I don't care.

I agree regardless. I was just saying cause they were saying 3 and Resurrection were written out of canon.

I'm guessing there are sources from since then that override the quote I posted. I also think it would be amusing if even the official sources recognized that those movies shouldn't be canon. :P

Spark Of Spirit

Notice that none of the other stuff they regard as non-canon every even refer to anything that happens in the last two movies.

They pretty much are non-canon as it is.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 23, 2014, 07:50:31 PM
According to this source from a few years ago, 3 and Resurrection are still considered canon.

http://www.warpzoned.com/2012/04/aliens-colonial-marines-is-officially-part-of-movie-canon-wii-u-version-is-not-a-port/

"The only productions currently considered canon are the first four films (yes, even Alien 3), Aliens: Colonial Marines, and maybe Ridley Scott's Prometheus (since there's still the possibility it's not a prequel)."

Honestly, does it even matter anymore, at this point? Nobody considers those movies canon, anyways.

talonmalon333

Oh I agree with you both 100%. I was just wondering what the official sources say. It's not that it actually matters, because no matter what they say, 3 can't be canon because of how it clashes with the intent of the first two movies.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I didn't know where else to put this, and I didn't want to create a whole separate thread for it, but on the subject of Alien 3, I thought it would be interesting to list out my most disappointing sequels, prequels, and spin-offs in film. Here's what I got:

10. Terminator: Salvation (I hoped that it would restore the franchise....that hope was misplaced)
9. Mission Impossible 3
8. Quantum of Solace (I didn't hate this one, but it was still a huge letdown)
7. Die Hard 2 (I haven't seen 5 yet, but this is easily my least favorite Die Hard film)
6. Alien: Resurrection (had lowered expectations from 3 going into it, but it still hurt to watch)
5. The Terminator 3
4. Iron Man 2
3. Star Wars prequels
2. Alien 3
1. X-Men 3: The Last Stand (yes, Wolverine was a worse film, but I had low expectations going into it, so there wasn't too much to be disappointed with)

Keep in mind, I'm including sequels that I had at least some hope for going into them, but which left me utterly disappointed. I didn't rank these based on the worst sequels in general, as there are plenty of bad sequels that I knew would be bad going into them, which is why they aren't on this list.

Avaitor

I thought most people thought MI3 was the best?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on July 26, 2014, 01:38:21 PM
I thought most people thought MI3 was the best?

I don't know who these people are, but I do not wish to associate with them. :whuh:

Mission Impossible was a decent action movie, with some very cleverly shot scenes that made the film iconic and memorable.

Mission Impossible 2 was a John Woo movie, meaning that it was ridiculously over the top, but still fun as hell as a good action movie should be.

Mission Impossible 3 was a generic uninspired action movie, IMO, and that's what made it such a disappointment from a series that was usually good for at least having memorable action, if nothing else.

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol was a return to form, and was great for being one of the few "fun to watch" super agent movies in a time that's utterly dominated by dark and gritty shaky cam action popularized by the Bourne movies (which I do like, aside from the shaky cam).

So yeah, I think 3 is the worst, personally.

gunswordfist

only iron man 2, the last sw prequel and t3 would be on my list. i like x3 and mi3 and havent seen the rest.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

I like both MI2 and 3 even though people seem to either hate one or the other. Still haven't seen Ghost Protocol.

I FINALLY watched Captain America: The First Avenger, and I loved it. I didn't think it was as good as The Winter Soldier, but as far as MCU films go, it sits firmly in second place behind its sequel (though I do feel that Guardians of the Galaxy will surpass both, for me). Very fun movie with likeable characters and good action; I think it felt the most like a live action comic book of all the superhero flicks I've seen.

gunswordfist

Mission Impossible 3 is better than the first two. The only problem I had is I couldn't take the main villain seriously. Philip Seymour Hoffman was a good actor but in that movie he just seemed like a really angry little nerd.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I like both Captain America movies about the same, really. They are my 2 favorite Marvel movies. Guardians of the Galaxy may be up there as well if it's as good as I hope.