What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

I'll be watching The First Avenger soon. Then I'll watch Winter Soldier again. We'll see how this goes. :)
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Hey, Big Trouble in Little China is back on Netflix. Awesome!
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Alright! Now we just need Trigun, Cartoon Cartoons and DCUA shows to return. :thinkin:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The thater a few towns over is actually going to be screening that movie tomorrow night as part of a "classics" program that they are doing every week over the Summer. It just sucks that I flat-out won't have the time to go to it. However, maybe I can manage to make the Blues Brothers screening two weeks from now.

On another note, I finally got around to watching Big Hero 6, which was a fun movie, though all of the supporting characters really got very little development. Overall, I'd say that I like this movie more than Frozen, but not as much as Wreck-It Ralph.

gunswordfist

....and I need to watch all 3.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on May 04, 2015, 04:32:26 PMIt was like half of a really good movie pasted onto half of a really bad one. Also, some parts could have come straight out of Batman & Robin, which I loved.

I agree. Hence why I don't outright hate TASM2 like most people do. It had some genuinely good things in it. That said, I wouldn't really go as far to defend it either, like how I do for SM3 which I honestly feel is a better film than most people are willing to give it credit for.

Avaitor

I LOVE what we got from Honey Lemon, Wasabi, and Fred from BH6, but it really was Hiro and Baymax's movie, so the other characters do get pushed to the side.

Spoiler
Aside from Tadashi, who pushed himself into the fire :sweat:
[close]

I'm still skeptical about WDAS doing sequels, but I would really like to see more of their world to get more time with the characters. That's why even if the proposed sequel falls through, I'd like to see a short or two with the characters ala what Tangled and Frozen got.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Selma. It's definitely a great film. Much like 12 Years A Slave, it's not a personal favorite of mine, but I can definitely see the importance of the movie and its subject matter, and I can see why it topped so many Best of 2014 lists.

gunswordfist

Watch King: A Filmed Record, if you haven't already.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, that's about what I expected from a movie with this premise. I'm not particularly against sub-genre horror films (such as found footage, for example), but rarely do they ever amount to more than a cheap gimmick.

Something like The Babadook (currently my personal favorite 2014 film) is more up my alley when it comes to horror, as it plays more like a well-acted drama with horror elements than just straight-up going for scares all of the time.

I did see It Follows recently, which was getting a lot of praise from critics. To me, it's a really mixed bag. It gets some things right to an admirable degree, but also somehow still falls into too many trappings of horror movie cliches for me to regard it as highly as the critics do. Personally, I found it to be an OK movie that was scarier in concept than in execution.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, the soundtrack was easily the best part of that movie, which I begrudgingly admit since it's composed by the guy who did the music for Fez, and I hate that game.

I wouldn't say that the movie itself was bad. Just kind of a mix of some above average scenes, lots of mediocre ones, and a few really stupid moments.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I re-watched 3 movies recently: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Star Wars: A New Hope, and The Rocketeer.

I'll save my thoughts on Star Wars until after I finish re-watching the trilogy.

As for Captain America, I stand by my opinion that TWS was the best comic book movie of last year, and one of the best in general. After re-watching it, I have plenty of faith that the Russo brothers can make another great film out of Civil War.

And Speaking of Captain America, I consider The Rocketeer to be the unofficial first good Captain America movie. It's directed by Joe Johnston, who also directed TFA, and you can see a lot of elements of that film present here, and in many ways it feels like a prototype of sorts to a good CA movie. And of course, it's just a really entertaining action-adventure movie with a lot of heart to it that holds up incredibly well. It really is an underrated classic.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, those specials are pretty lousy. The Walker brothers can't write story or dialogue for shit.

That said, I do not and never will feel sorry for JO, in particular.

Avaitor

I can't wait to see Mad Max, the best-reviewed film of the year, surpassing... Paddington. This has been a weird year so far.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Paddington was supposed to be a pretty good family movie. Which is odd to think about these days.

Nonetheless, I've heard this film is better than Thunderdome which is good news. Not sure if it'll touch the Road Warrior, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton