What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daxdiv

I saw 30 Minutes or Less. Fun movie, laughed a lot, enjoyed the interactions between Nick and Chet, the heist, and enjoyed it very much. Still rank Horrible Bosses as my comedy pick for the summer. Also, when I went to the theater, I was carded to see this. Strange, I don't get carded when I go here nor when I go to buy Lotto Tickets. I feel young.

Foggle

Quote from: Daxdiv on August 22, 2011, 11:15:04 PM
I saw 30 Minutes or Less. Fun movie, laughed a lot, enjoyed the interactions between Nick and Chet, the heist, and enjoyed it very much. Still rank Horrible Bosses as my comedy pick for the summer. Also, when I went to the theater, I was carded to see this. Strange, I don't get carded when I go here nor when I go to buy Lotto Tickets. I feel young.
I liked 30 Minutes Or Less, but I can't say I'd consider it a good movie.

As far as new comedies I've seen this year go... The Guard > Horrible Bosses > 30 Minutes Or Less >>>>>>>>>>>>> The Hangover Part 2

Kiddington

Hangover Part 2 really sounds like a mixed bag. Half of the people I talk to seem to love it, while the other half basically say it's nothing more than a two-hour long dick joke.

Was it that bad?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I haven't seen either of the Hangover movies, but my older brother who loves the first movie hates the 2nd one and the reason that he gave was that it just badly recycles a lot of the same basic jokes from the first movie and doesn't even try to mask that its doing that. As for me, I still have yet to even see the first one, so I have no idea whether its worth seeing or not.

Avaitor

I kind of liked the second one, but it isn't very good in hindsight. It definitely repeats a little too much of the first movie for its own good, and it's way more crass than the original.

The chemistry between the main three guys is as solid as ever though, which makes up for that a little. But there are still a lot of better ways to spend your time than by watching it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daxdiv

I enjoyed Hangover 2 as well, despite it's major flaw of being the same movie as the first, but in Bangkok. I just loved the misadventures of Phil, Stu, and Alan so much that I didn't mind it as much when I first saw it. I just hope when Hangover 3 is made, it tries to be original.

Foggle

Hangover 2 lacked the wit and charm of the first film while simultaneously being completely unoriginal. Basically, it rehashed the plot and all of the bad jokes from the first one. It was crude and vulgar for the sake of being crude and vulgar whereas the first one actually had proper comedic timing and a good sense of humor.

Avaitor

John Huston's Moby Dick

Christ, the direction is all over the place here. It especially gets shaky on the sea. The African Queen had its fair share of problems with that itself, but this one makes that seem silky smooth in comparison.

That said, I quite enjoyed the narrative. I haven't read the book, so I don't know how the under-2 hour movie length compares to it, but I got into it pretty well for the most part. Maybe I'll finally read the whole damn thing soon now.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

talonmalon333

I rewatched Roman Holiday yesterday, Audrey Hepburn's first and best film.

Avaitor

I dunno, I really like Charade and Love in the Afternoon. She has a lot of classics, though.

New blog!

Angus

Wish I had that reading interest when I was younger, but oh well :)
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on August 25, 2011, 11:53:19 AM
I dunno, I really like Charade and Love in the Afternoon. She has a lot of classics, though.

Of course she does! Charade would probably be #2 or 3 for me out of her films.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The Great Escape.

I can see why its a classic. I most love the chemistry between the main characters in films like this. Its really all about the characters in movies like this, more than the actual escape itself and how they set it all up. You really want to see each character successfully make it out of everything alive even if you know that most of them will die in the process.

Its definitely a great movie, though I'd have to say that The Dirty Dozen is still my favorite of the WWII movies from the 1960's.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 28, 2011, 08:34:57 PM
The Great Escape.

I can see why its a classic. I most love the chemistry between the main characters in films like this. Its really all about the characters in movies like this, more than the actual escape itself and how they set it all up. You really want to see each character successfully make it out of everything alive even if you know that most of them will die in the process.

Its definitely a great movie, though I'd have to say that The Dirty Dozen is still my favorite of the WWII movies from the 1960's.
Will check out
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Has anyone ever seen Play Misty for Me? I swear that film has one of the scariest villains ever!