What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: LumRanmaYasha on May 17, 2019, 11:14:16 AM
I'm really late to these John Wick films - still haven't seen the first two, which I want to watch before Chapter 3. Unfortunately, they aren't streaming on Netflix or Hulu, and the library requests for the dvds number in the dozens. I'll probably have to rent them off Amazon if I want to watch them...and based on all the good things I'm hearing, I think I'll bite the bullet and watch them sometime this weekend!
I hope you like them! :el_hail:

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on May 17, 2019, 11:53:23 AM
I'm not sure why, but I naturally just assumed that John Wich Chopter 3 would be closing out a trilogy, even though it wasn't advertised as a final chapter. But it doesn't. It really is just a third chapter....and I'm totally OK with that. I already want to watch it again. :joy:
It was supposed to be! I heard they reshot the ending a month or two ago because they had so much fun working on this one that they want to keep the series going indefinitely. Can't wait for Chapter 4!

Dr. Insomniac

Always thought it would be hilarious if Hugo Weaving showed up at the end of a John Wick movie and said "How have you been liking the reboot, Mr. Anderson?"

LumRanmaYasha

As luck would have it, it turns out the Paramount Network is airing the first two John Wick films today! Looks like I'll be watching both of them tonight and then catching Chapter 3 tomorrow!  ;D

Avaitor

Parabellum was my first John Wick film in theaters (although if there was a triple-feature experience over here like Foggle got, I would've done it), and I really loved it. My only complaint is that it could've been a little shorter and tighter, but my word do the set pieces blow just about everything else out of the water. I really hope the momentum keeps going for the franchise.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Aside from it's amazing action setpieces, I feel as though the world-building is the other selling point of this franchise. It really helps it to stand out from other generic action movies. That said, one bit of criticism I could give to Parabellum is that I do feel that it piles it on a bit too much at times, to the point of really slowing down the pacing and overall momentum of the movie up to that point. It brings everything back into full swing again by the third act, but there was about a 10-15 minute chunk of the film in which I was somewhat starting to lose focus.

Foggle

I agree that it felt a little long in the middle. I love the world-building and weird storylines but this one might have gotten a little too wacky and convoluted for a few minutes. That said, it was still my favorite of the three so far. The action set-pieces are among the best I've ever seen, and I absolutely loved John's "rival" of sorts. Ugh I wanna watch it again already

Dr. Insomniac

There were so many "Hey, it's that guy" moments in the movie. Like "Hey, it's that chairman from Iron Chef America!", "Hey, it's the villains from both The Raid movies!", or "Hey, it's Bronn!"

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 18, 2019, 11:09:05 PM
There were so many "Hey, it's that guy" moments in the movie. Like "Hey, it's that chairman from Iron Chef America!", "Hey, it's the villains from both The Raid movies!", or "Hey, it's Bronn!"
To be fair, the first two movies had a lot of that too. :il_hahaha: I've never seen Iron Chef America, but man I loved that guy in the film. I want to see more of him in the future!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

If you're going to have Bronn in the movie, you might as well have him pretty much act like his GOT counterpart who's already basically a glorified hitman and literally had the only scenes in this final season that were actually still any kind of fun. That's sort of what they did with Alfie Allen, who, at the time the first John Wick came out, acted like the same shitty prick his character in the show was at that point; though going by interviews, that was apparently completely unintentional on the directors' parts because they hadn't yet watched GOT when they were making the first movie.

Also, with all of the world building in these three movies, you'd think they'd at least bring back some more elements from past films rather than just try to introduce a bunch of new ones. Like, I'm legitimately surprised that Cassian didn't show up in this one after how he and John left things off in the last movie.

I do agree that this movie has by far the best action set-pieces, which itself is saying a lot. I still think that the club scene from the first movie will remain my personal favorite action scene in a John Wick film, even if they've technically done better since, though. That's mostly because of how much of a surprise that movie was at the time, but also because I do feel that one thing that the first movie had that the sequels can't help but lack is a strong motivation for John to fight, making the action feel that much more satisfying.

That said, this third movie really brought all kinds of variety to the series beyond just Gun-Fu, with excellent action with knives, vehicles, and especially animals. I will not be surprised if Chapter 4 has trained monkey assassins or something.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on May 18, 2019, 11:48:42 PM
Also, with all of the world building in these three movies, you'd think they'd at least bring back some more elements from past films rather than just try to introduce a bunch of new ones. Like, I'm legitimately surprised that Cassian didn't show up in this one after how he and John left things off in the last movie.
I have a feeling he will be back in Chapter 4, along with Ruby Rose's character and whoever else Wick let live over the course of the series...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm pretty sure he killed Ruby Rose's character in Chapter 2, or at least it's implied with her nodding off, whereas Cassian was still visibly conscious after his fight with John (in addition to John specifically saying that he left him alive as professional courtesy).

Foggle

You're probably right, it just seems like someone always says "be seeing you" when he doesn't outright slaughter one of the other assassins, which I feel might be implying something? :sweat: I really want to at least see Common again in the next movie though!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, don't forget, Viggo also says this line to John before dying. I've taken the line to basically be a shorthand for "I'll see you when you get to Hell." It makes more sense for a dying character to say since the only retort they can have at that point is knowing that their killer (in the case of these movies that being John) will eventually end up dead as well.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/