What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

What do you get when you cross an owl with a bungee cord?
MY ASS!
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

You know, I should really take advantage of the university's foreign film library. They have a pretty sizable collection of Kurosawa, for starters. Someone give me a list of foreign stuff to watch.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Do John Woo's Cantonese films count, or are those too mainstream for you (that is to say: mainstream among foreign films)?

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on November 06, 2011, 05:29:18 PM
Do John Woo's Cantonese films count, or are those too mainstream for you (that is to say: mainstream among foreign films)?
Yeah, did a search, and they don't have a film of his.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Ah, well I do know a few other Chinese films that might be good, but those are comedies and I'm not really sure if they'd fit your sense of humor. God of Cookery was pretty funny for me, though, and its the only one that I could think of off the top of my head (its a Stephen Chow film).

Ip Man is a really good martial arts film (I never got to finish the movie, but I saw most of it and thought it was great). Its only a few years old and is good in terms of both action scenes and telling a genuinely interesting story with great acting. Its not over-the-top silly like a more comedy-oriented Jackie Chan film, but its still very professionally shot and actually has complex characters. For reference its based on the life of Bruce Lee's master, though its not exactly historically accurate (that's not really the point, though). I'd recommend that film if it sounds interesting to you at all and if your library happens to have it.

Avaitor

mmm, Kurosawa. Some of his most essential:

Seven Samurai
Rashomon
Ran
Ikiru
Yojimbo
Red Beard
Kagemusha
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Well, I saw Throne of Blood. Wish I could've seen this during English class instead of reading it. Thought cutting out the MacDuff subplot was a good move to distill the story. Also, the woman playing the Lady MacBeth analogue, Asaji, was magnificent at being creepy.

gunswordfist

Ip Man ;D Ithink I had a sig here for that film. Such a great movie. Donnie Yen is the best at martial arts movies these days. My friend is supposed to let me borrow his friend's copy of the sequel, which is easily at the top of my most wanted movies list.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

I watched the Blind Side last week.

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on November 08, 2011, 08:24:53 AM
Ip Man ;D Ithink I had a sig here for that film. Such a great movie. Donnie Yen is the best at martial arts movies these days. My friend is supposed to let me borrow his friend's copy of the sequel, which is easily at the top of my most wanted movies list.
Ip Man is fucking awesome. The sequel's good, too... can't really decide which one I like more.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on November 08, 2011, 08:42:58 AM
Ip Man is fucking awesome. The sequel's good, too... can't really decide which one I like more.
I'll have to see for myself. Damn library doesn't have it which is where I get all my movies.

Avaitor

I'm recording 3 different movies from TCM this weekend- The Thing From Another World, To Have and Have Not, and My Fair Lady.

Besides the first two being directed by Howard Hawks, none of these films have anything in common, but I'm about equally as curious to see each of them. We'll see how they all go.

New blog!

Pharass

The Saragossa Manuscript

Great movie that's now one of my personal favorites. I loved the whole "story within story" approach, which I don't think I've seen in a movie before. At least no movie that comes to mind at the moment
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Angus

Quote from: gunswordfist on November 08, 2011, 08:58:16 AM
Quote from: Foggle on November 08, 2011, 08:42:58 AM
I'll have to see for myself. Damn library doesn't have it which is where I get all my movies.

It should be on Netflix; saw it floating on their broadband service a month or two but haven't checked it out yet.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Kiddington

Twilight

...no, not that Twilight; I'm talking about the 1998 film starring Paul Newman and Gene Hackman, of course.

It's... not bad. Pretty atypical cop movie, all things considered, but I was fairly entertained.