What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Sometimes I love imdb. :lol:

QuoteMartin had a dream......a dream to make a 12 person human centipede.

Most of us with a similar dream would write it off as too hard and go back to our mundane lives.

But not Martin. This man applied himself, showed ingenuity and endeavour, overcame considerable odds and with determination, was able to accomplish his goal.

And sure, he fell two people short. Who among us can say we are perfect? But while brutally raping the back end of the centipede with barbed wire wrapped around his penis, Martin lived. He truly lived, if but for a few moments. How many of us can say that?

So next time you want to degrade the efforts and lifestyle of a person like Martin, think to yourself - what have I done with my life? Am I the type of person that would inject laxatives into 10 people stapled together arse to mouth to encourage the onset of diarrhea? I personally think there is a little bit of Martin in all of us. You just gotta believe.

Avaitor

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on March 14, 2012, 11:56:42 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on March 14, 2012, 11:52:46 PM
Oh, I tried Trash Humpers on them, but they couldn't even sit through 5 minutes of it.
Aw, why not? Trash Humpers is fucking art.
My friends have no patience. I barely got them to sit through all of Grizzly Man.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Just saw 21 Jump Street, and it was surprisingly good. Favourite moment was when it turns out that it's actually a sequel instead of a remake.

Commode

I was thinking of going to go see that.  It's been getting some good word of mouth.

I've never seen the TV show.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

I'm surprised at how good the reviews are, but then again, the show wasn't exactly a well-revered piece of work, so it's easy to take liberty to it and make something fun and original out of the idea.

I'm interested in seeing it primarily for Ron Swanson, so chances are I might get to see it soon.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

My group and I just came back from The Hunger Games as it was a free movie. I have not read the books, so here are my comments:

1. ENOUGH WITH THE SHAKY CAM, HOLLYWOOD. I can't see anything during the action sequences because the camera's flopping all over like a fish out of water, and even in still scenes some times the camera just wobbles. I know this is a lot to ask, but I like being able to see the movies I watch. Several others in the theater kept leaving due to motion sickness.

2. The plot suffered for only centering on Katniss. Peeta seemed like he had a good story but we never really delved into it because it didn't have anything to do with her. Thresh, the same. Rue's development was rushed, and Cato seemed like he had an interesting side to him we never saw because he disappeared after the tracker incident. To be honest, other than Cato's cronies Katniss was probably the least interesting character in the whole story.

3. The ending was too vague. Apparently according to my friends there are things explained and shown in the book that aren't even touched upon here. Considering the amount of time they used building up to the games, they didn't do enough with the denouement, and it just sort of stops.

4. That leads me to another thing. Too much time was wasted on the pre-Game parts to the point that it took away time from the actual games and potential development and lead into the ending feeling too rushed.

5. If a "Team Peeta" and "Team Gale" comes out of this movie, I'm going to firebomb the world.

All in all, it was okay. Not perfect, and not highly original (it felt like a much safer Battle Royale at times), but some good characters and acting and an interesting story kept me engaged.

If this is the new Twilight, at least it's bearable.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 23, 2012, 06:41:48 PM
5. If a "Team Peeta" and "Team Gale" comes out of this movie, I'm going to firebomb the world.
Too late.

Also, I'm interested in seeing how Woody Harrelson plays Haymitch. He was my favorite character in the books and it's hard to hate Tallahassee.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on March 23, 2012, 06:44:11 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 23, 2012, 06:41:48 PM
Too late.

Also, I'm interested in seeing how Woody Harrelson plays Haymitch. He was my favorite character in the books and it's hard to hate Tallahassee.
He was really good, in my opinion. He made the character likable and clever, yet really shabby and rundown.

Freaking love triangles, man.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Lord Dalek

Its funny because apparently....

(SPOILERS FOLLOW AND THE USUAL SPOILER TAG DON'T WORK)

in Mockingjay, Gale turns into a crazy psychopath who kills Primrose in order to manipulate Katniss to overthrow the government....or something. THESE BOOKS ARE WHACK MAN! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!

Oh and I surprisingly liked the movie, considering I've been actively avoiding these books and only became somewhat interested because the Tomatometer's at 86%.

Foggle

I'll look into fixing the spoiler tag one of these days...

Dr. Insomniac

Eh, half of that shit doesn't even happen in the books anyway.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on March 24, 2012, 12:44:34 AM
Off-screenpage plot and character development? I hate that shit.

Kiddington

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on March 24, 2012, 12:44:34 AM

Oh, so you did read them?  :happytime:

Honestly, I've been trying to avoid this movie as much as possible, because quite frankly I'm finding the hype to be borderline unbearable at this point (Team Peeta and Team Gale is already gaining some steam unfortunately, and that's just for starters). That, and I have no actual experience with the books myself, so the interest to compare and contrast just isn't there.

Although, there is that part of me that is undoubtedly curious, particularly because it does seem to be getting pretty good reviews. I may still end up seeing it yet, but I dunno. We'll see.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm just not understanding the praise for Katniss.

She's a very one note character with two emotions being anger and remorse. She doesn't actually show any other emotions at all.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 24, 2012, 02:29:19 PM
I'm just not understanding the praise for Katniss.

She's a very one note character with two emotions being anger and remorse. She doesn't actually show any other emotions at all.
Dude, if you don't like her, you're sexist and an awful person.