What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pharass

Danton:

Excellent historical drama set during the Reign of Terror and the last days of Georges Danton. While Gerard Depardieu was great as the titular character, I must give special mention to Wojciech Pszoniak; whose portrayal of Robespierre was one of the high-lights of the movie.

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Commode

so i heard like the last two lines of "you could be mine" on the radio today, and naturally i got a hankering to watch terminator 2, and i just finished it up.  it's funny though, while t2 remains one of my favorite films and i've seen it many times, i don't think i've watched the original terminator in a number of years.  well, it is on my hard drive, so here we go...

oh my god look at how young arnold and sarah are, damn  and sarah wears a jetsons shirt haha
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Terminator 1 is such a creepy movie. I mean that genuinely. While I would struggle to call it a horror movie, it is actually pretty scary.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, the movie certainly does pay a lot of tribute to horror movies if nothing else. I think the most common theme pointed out is how the Terminator in that movie is very much like a traditional slasher villain. He doesn't talk, can't be reasoned with, and is there for plenty of jump scares.

In many ways I feel like the difference between Terminator 1 and 2 is pretty similar to the difference between Alien and Aliens, in that the first movies of each respective series were much slower and more creepy in tone, whereas the 2nd of each were far more action focused.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 05, 2012, 11:06:22 PMIn many ways I feel like the difference between Terminator 1 and 2 is pretty similar to the difference between Alien and Aliens, in that the first movies of each respect series were much slower and more creepy in tone, whereas the 2nd of each were far more action focused.
Yeah, that sounds about right.

While the villain in Terminator 2 is pretty hardcore and far more dangerous than the original, I still find the original one creepier in how... utterly mechanical he is when reacting to the environment. You just get the feeling that this thing is a real monster. I never really get that feeling from a slasher villain, but the Terminator is pretty much the robotic embodiment of evil. This thing is not supposed to exist. And it's genuinely unsettling.

That said, they both are great at what they do. It's also great that both movies ended at the second installment.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

eh, the chase scenes were much better done in t2 than t1. also t1 has an unbelievable 80s cheese feel to it, which is probably not it's fault, but still.

the 80s were such a cheesy decade, everything from sarahs hair to the dialogue is so dated.  to be fair though t2 has a scene in which edward furlong is trying to teach arnold some normal human lingo, and that was so dated that it made me cringe.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Eh, I can't say I agree with you about that. Maybe in terms of the special effects, and maybe during that one scene at "tech-noir" (if you even know what I'm referring to ;) ), but other than that I don't see how it feels like other 80's movies. It honestly feels pretty unique, even today. I mean, it feels like its own thing, and personally I found the chase scene with the mechanical Terminator to be pretty creepy, myself, even though I know its just an effect.

I do agree that the chase scenes in T2 are awesome in general, though. Hell, the whole movie is awesome, but for much different reasons than what made the first film great, IMO.

Spark Of Spirit

I dunno, I don't really see cheese as a bad thing. Especially when considering that there's much cheesier fare than this done worse. (Heck, Aliens is considered cheesy by a lot of people) It's the hint of cheese that keeps it feeling realistic which gives it that edge when it gets dark. I don't know about you guys but I find that eye scene quite disturbing even now.

But it was made in the 1980s. Of course it's dated. Even Hitchcock films have dated, and they're still amazing.  ;)

Commode

oh, there's nothing wrong with the film, it's just that the 80s were such a terrible time for pop culture.  i dont know if i want to blame ronald reagan trying to take the country back to the 1950s attitude of optimism, but nearly everything that the 80s produced feels so damned fake these days.  even things i like, like diver down or 1984(van halen albums, for those uneducated) or films like back to the future or the now featured terminator.  these are all objectionally good things, in a decade that also had family ties and look what the cat dragged in, but i still feel a sense of that 80s cheese to it, it's just a testament to how much that decade sucked balls.

i guess what im trying to say is that despite cameron's efforts to make the film seem different from other 80s fare, it still has that 80s feel to it.  maybe i'm biased a little because i know that it came out in the 80s and therefore can't view it outside of that mindset, but that's the way it is.

Commode

and they just wrecked that bomb ass chevy truck.  man i wish i had that truck.

Commode

and for no inexplicable reason i'm now watching south park: bigger longer and uncut.  it has been awhile.

don't kick the baby.

Commode

I love how mrs. brovlovski says "if it's war they want, then it's war they shall have!" then holds up the peace sign on both hands.  that makes no god damned sense.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think that was the idea.

But anyways, now that you mention it, I'm up for re-watching the movie myself. I'll have to dig through the huge pile of DVDs I have stored up just to find it, though. :D

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Comeau on May 05, 2012, 11:36:19 PM
oh, there's nothing wrong with the film, it's just that the 80s were such a terrible time for pop culture.  i dont know if i want to blame ronald reagan trying to take the country back to the 1950s attitude of optimism, but nearly everything that the 80s produced feels so damned fake these days.  even things i like, like diver down or 1984(van halen albums, for those uneducated) or films like back to the future or the now featured terminator.  these are all objectionally good things, in a decade that also had family ties and look what the cat dragged in, but i still feel a sense of that 80s cheese to it, it's just a testament to how much that decade sucked balls.

i guess what im trying to say is that despite cameron's efforts to make the film seem different from other 80s fare, it still has that 80s feel to it.  maybe i'm biased a little because i know that it came out in the 80s and therefore can't view it outside of that mindset, but that's the way it is.
It's just the way it is, I guess. No matter what they do it will always be a product of its time, its jst up to you whether or not you can get passed it or not.

And I don't know about you but, when I listen to "Hot For Teacher" it doesn't sound like the 1980s to me.  ;D

Angus

I don't mind the 1980s movies that were actually made in the 1980s; the retro ones and remakes can get annoying though.

I saw The Raid last night. The martial arts doesn't kick in until the second half of the movie, but wow, that's some good fight choreography.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon