What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

It's still as funny to me as it ever was tbh.

Avaitor

Well it's still pretty funny. The opening scene will always be great. A couple of the lines aren't too funny though IMO.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Just don't read the comic. It gets pretty cringe-worthy.

As a movie it's decent, but at least not as dumb as it gets in comic form.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 03, 2012, 09:45:01 PM
Just don't read the comic. It gets pretty cringe-worthy.

As a movie it's decent, but at least not as dumb as it gets in comic form.
The comic is godawful and Kick-Ass 2 is even worse. Not just cringe-worthy, vomit-worthy.

I think the movie is absolutely hilarious, though the first act does kind of drag until he suits up for the first time.

Avaitor

I don't know what happens in Kick-Ass 2, but I do know that I don't want them to adapt it and make the movie a one-off. I'd like to think that Hit Girl/Mindy lives a normal life after all of this, or as normal as she can.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I don't think there will be a sequel. They already salvaged a bad comic into a solid movie, adapting an even worse comic would really be a lot of work for not a lot of pay off.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

If they do make a sequel to the movie, they need to change it as much as they did the original. Really don't want to see Red Mist raping Katie and killing her dad on screen kthnx.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on July 03, 2012, 09:55:56 PMRed Mist raping Katie and killing her dad on screen.
The worst writer in comics, folks.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Kick-Ass was a fun movie, but I had some problems with it (Avaitor pretty much mentioned most of them). I haven't read the comics, and given that I've heard bad things about them, I have no plans to. That said, I do have to wonder just why the hell we even got this movie adaptation of the comics were so poorly received in the first place?

Foggle

The comic is horrifying and also somewhat racist. Don't know how they turned that shit into a good comedy. Definitely don't know why some people actually prefer the comic. The sequel is literally disgusting at times, and has more than one scene like the one I just described.

Also, Red Mist's villain name is The Motherfucker instead of Orange Lightning. Seriously? That name change was so obvious! Get with the program, Millar.

Avaitor

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 03, 2012, 09:57:05 PM
Quote from: Foggle on July 03, 2012, 09:55:56 PMRed Mist raping Katie and killing her dad on screen.
The worst writer in comics, folks.
Mark miller worse than Jeph Loeb or modern day Frank Miller? Hmm.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 03, 2012, 10:00:12 PM
Kick-Ass was a fun movie, but I had some problems with it (Avaitor pretty much mentioned most of them). I haven't read the comics, and given that I've heard bad things about them, I have no plans to. That said, I do have to wonder just why the hell we even got this movie adaptation of the comics were so poorly received in the first place?
Because the writer (I'm not going to mention his name, I'm not giving him credit) gets a lot of praise for coming up with original ideas for stories to the point where his books always get good buzz when they first come out. If I'm not mistaken, this one was bought when it was still in concept form so it was in production before the comic was over. Hence how everything that was terrible in the comic was basically removed in the movie. The movie still isn't perfect (the concept limits itself a lot), but compared to the source material it's a masterpiece.

Nonetheless, if you want a similarly interesting idea with horrid execution check out the old man Logan comic. Sick stuff. And yes worse than those two, Avaitor.

By leagues.

Dr. Insomniac

QuoteYou can't write a graphic novel thinking about a future movie because that way leads to madness or Mark Millar.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 03, 2012, 10:05:35 PMIf I'm not mistaken, this one was bought when it was still in concept form so it was in production before the comic was over. Hence how everything that was terrible in the comic was basically removed in the movie. The movie still isn't perfect (the concept limits itself a lot), but compared to the source material it's a masterpiece.

Pretty much this the movie deal was made sometime during the production of the comic. Kind of like the Scott Pilgrim movie where Bryan Lee O'Malley didn't even have anything but rough ideas past his 3rd book when the movie was in production, which is why the Twins were merely reduced to a non-speaking parts and why we probably didn't have Mr. Chau helping Scott with his fight against Roxie.

He's currently doing a Hit-Girl Spin-off right now that's taking place in between Kick-Ass 1 and 2. Which basically shows her trying to fit in with the normal life her dad deprived her of.

Commode

Independence Day is on.  Not really that great of a movie, but hey it's the 4th.

Happy birthday America!  Celebrating with my flag decorated Budweiser!
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.